The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Here's a clip. any advice?
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Here's a clip. any advice?

Alright guys. Here is a little clip of me playing a short taximi on my bouzouki.

http://www.playbouzouki.com/componen...k_damianos.mp3

For those that don't know what a bouzouki is, think of an oversized mandolin. I've been trying to get a good sound and I think my mic placement is good. My room is completely untreated and my gear is rather antislut. I did it on an el cheapo shure pg81 in pro tools m-powered. I put a bf76 and the bundled verb on it. Did I do alright? I know I should get a better mic & pre and pretty much upgrade my entire signal chain. For right now though, considering the little that I got, what would you guys have done differently to get a nicer sound?

PS....just to compare, here is a clip I did in Logic with the same hardware. I think it sounds clearer and more natural but not as fat as the pro tools clip.

http://www.playbouzouki.com/componen...t_damianos.mp3
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Wow, I must really sound bad
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Not bad - good! I think the logic version sounds clearer and nicer then the powered version. What a beautiful instrument - is it hard to play?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim light
Not bad - good! I think the logic version sounds clearer and nicer then the powered version. What a beautiful instrument - is it hard to play?
Thanks a lot man! I'm glad you liked it. I was beginning to worry from the lack of response lol. As far as playing the bouzouki is concerned I can tell you this. I'm coming from many years of playing guitar and the hardest thing about the bouzouki is holding the damned thing! The round bowl back was a constant headache. It's 4 doubled strings like the highest four strings on a guitar but a whole step down. Highest to lowest>D,A,F,C.

I think the logic recording sounds good (love space designer). The one thing I do like about the PTMP is the BF76 (1176 emulation) It sounded much better before I added the D-Verb which only seemed to muddy things up.

Anyways, I really like Logic and am just starting to learn Pro Tools but think I'll wind up liking it a lot as well. Hopefully I'll be able to put together a full mix soon. I just posted these to see if the sounds I'm tracking are good before I do editing and mixing, and to see if anybody could give me advice in case I am doing something horribly wrong.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Man now I WANT a picture of hold the damn thing!!! Thanks for the reply. I think you are on to something really good! Keep me/us posted! It's fresh with new instruments on GS!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search