The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JAZZ BAND REC & MIXING ADVICE NEEDED
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

Thumbs down JAZZ BAND REC & MIXING ADVICE NEEDED

Hi everyone,

I am a student in SAE london and we have an assignment of a jazz band track project (Actually i chose jazz band topic for a bit challange for me..). I need to mix it with a behringer 20 ch mixer, with onbard fx and another fx unit patched to send/return loop(Being not able to use any other professional gear or DAW is part of the assignment). We are not allowed to use protools or anything else. Just the behringer. It has sweepable mids lowcut etc. nothing fancy, low quality of course..

Bottomline, Ive uploaded a part of the track which ive tried to mix (wet) and id greatly appreciate any advice, tips or tricks regarding the recording and mixing (obviously i can't rerecord it so we are sort of limited to mixing stage:( ) but any help is greatly apprectiated...thanks in advance...

The link for the wav file(It's not big, about 7mbyte) : http://www.audio-electro.co.uk/emre/...mre_yazgin.wav
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I like the sound and the mix of the band....they could pretty much stay as is

The Vox are where you need work - the vocalist is good but it sounds very 'honky - unpleasant mid rangy - not sure if that is the mic or the pre or your EQ but that needs to be fixed. Try cutting out some mids and boosting some Low/Mid if you can.

I also don't like how the vox sit in the mix, it kind of juts out unpleasantly when she breaks out of the scat portion and into the lyrics. Do you have any compression you can use? You might want to wet up the vox with some verb (a bit) as well.

If you make any changes I would love to hear them again, you are on the right path
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

Thanks a lot for the tips. I tried to bring to vocal to front but since i didnt have any access to a compressor it was a bit difficult, i tried to boost hf a bit for the same purpose then came the sibilants (sadly no deesser as well...)...But if the problematic area is vocals then i need to treat it somehow...I will check and confirm if we are allowed to use ties and send the vocal to a compressor...Thanks for great advice!

One more question..Both overheads and the piano is recorded in stereo..is it a bad practice to hard pan both instruments to L & R in terms of stereo placement? Or since they don't share the same freq bands all the time its not a problem?? any hard rules?(im not the biggest fan of hard rules but sometimes they help me heh )
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

especially with low end gear, you may find that cutting frequencies with the EQ can sound better than boosting others. That can keep things from sounding harsh, plus some EQs can get a little wonky with phase when boosting is done in heavy amounts.

for instance if you want to bring out the highs, you could cut the lows and mids a little, and just apply more gain (fader).

YMMV, but play with it, you may come out with a better mix in the end.

good luck!
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay
especially with low end gear, you may find that cutting frequencies with the EQ can sound better than boosting others. That can keep things from sounding harsh, plus some EQs can get a little wonky with phase when boosting is done in heavy amounts.

for instance if you want to bring out the highs, you could cut the lows and mids a little, and just apply more gain (fader).

YMMV, but play with it, you may come out with a better mix in the end.

good luck!

thanks a lot for the tip. I actually experienced phase issues especially when i tried to cut/boost neighbour bands..then i learnt that its the nonlinear phase fashion of the eq's i used...
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emreyazgin
One more question..Both overheads and the piano is recorded in stereo..is it a bad practice to hard pan both instruments to L & R in terms of stereo placement? Or since they don't share the same freq bands all the time its not a problem?? any hard rules?(im not the biggest fan of hard rules but sometimes they help me heh )
I think you hit it right on the head - with things like panning I don't know that there should be any hard and fast rules - each instance and application is different, what is right for one may not be right for the other.

This is not rocket science advice but I think it might be worthwhile to experiment a little more with your panning. I have heard mixes where the panning was way to extreme but I didn't get that sense from the mix you posted.

Some will argue that panning everything 100% L/R is not advisable (count me in that group)- but as always, if it sounds good who cares what 'they' think. I would try panning the piano and drums differently (not both 100% L/R) - there are some who beleive that this will help to create better depth in your mixes

Good luck with your mix and definitely keep experimenting.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search