The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Finishing off some mixes
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Head

Finishing off some mixes

Hey guys:

I don't post much here but I do follow the high end board religiously. I'm just finishing up the first several mixes on my band's new album and thought I'd see what ya'll thought.

Here's on called "Final Frontier"

http://www.systemnoisenyc.com/tempmi...alFrontier.mp3

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,
Kurt
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I think it sounds cool - sounds groovy and contemporary. But I would skip the big reverb-sound on the voice in the chorus, sounds cheesy when compared to the ballsy groove in the verses - imho. I think you can make it even more raw and naked, if you now what I mean. What are your influences? - I hear Blondie, Nina Hagen and B 52´s. Cool, as I said..
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Head

Yeah it is very reverby in general - there's not any more in the choruses than anywhere else, it's just that the voice is hitting it harder, so you notice the trails more. I'm going back and forth on this as I do think that the reverb adds to the bigness of the chorus. But I'll try backing it off a bit on the voice and see what happens.

Influences are all over the place. Musically speaking, King Crimson, Talking Heads and the Police are probably the closest to much of our sound, but I would also blend in Sonic Youth and maybe even a bit of Radiohead.

Everyone in the band comes from different backgrounds - the singer from musical theater, me from jazz, funk, prog and avant-garde noise experiments, the drummer from metal, and the bassist from post-punk. I do most of the writing & arranging of the basic song structures, but everyone pretty much writes their own parts to those basic structures - so we get an interesting blend of styles in our songs.

Thanks for the comments.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search