The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rock mix lots of layered vocals
Old 8th May 2006
Here for the gear

Rock mix lots of layered vocals

So I think I finally figured out the art of layering multiple vocals without having it sound robotic, but obviously I'd like some opinions. The problem here is I don't know whether I'm panning to wide on the backing vocals because having them wide sounds great but it seems as though it detracts a little from the main vocal; this is especially the case in the outro I think. Thanks guys.
Attached Files

sal morales=too bad.mp3 (4.96 MB, 1463 views)

Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

I think it's cool but the guitars are way way overpowering everything.
All I can hear is the gritty guits.

They have a cool sound but it's a little wierd for the entire song...

ps: it's hard to hear much vocal in this track but from what I make out of it, it's cool...

Jason
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Agree....

It all sounds like a cassette that has been copied about 100 times...
drums a very soft....gtr's are way lot and need some mids pulled out...not much room for vocals..
Old 17th May 2006
Here for the gear

I turned up the vocals and the drums. What do you guys think?
Attached Files

sal morales = too bad.mp3 (4.96 MB, 1421 views)

Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I think turning down the guitars would be a better bet. The tone sounds way too ratty for me, pretty fatiguing. The vocals might need a tad bit more compression at parts, the low end pokes out in a bad way when the singer goes falsetto. Perhaps if you pulled the guitars down a bit, it'd be easier to hear the vocals more cohesively. Drums are getting drowned out a lot, I feel. Pretty cool song.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Y'know, after years of stacking up guitar tracks like cord wood, I've gotten really into getting a mix to work with one guitar. Even if I'm gonna put more on later, I make it work with one.

I think this could benefit from that approach, maybe. I like the song, and I think it's worth making it work better. The singing is cool, and IMO doesn't need to be so far back.

Listen to "A Night At The Opera". I think a little of that vibe could be nice. It's got a bit of Mott the Hoople happening, too. That's a good thing.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Great song and vocals but the mix I don't understand... Everything seems clouded and distant. I would try to make the drums breath and get the rest of the instruments to come through without sounding cloudy (I love that word) and muddy.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

The drums are lacking a lot of punch, and don't seem to be sitting in the mix properly.

The guitars sound cloudy and undefined.

Vocals need tuning in the choruses....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search