The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
creepy metaled-up portishead cover
Old 8th May 2006
creepy metaled-up portishead cover

This is an "art rock" band I just finished recording, I thought their take on "sour times" was pretty cool, especially since portishead is about the most non-heavy band ever.

this is the mix that went to mastering so I hope the recording is good?

*crossing fingers*

I had to encode it at 160 so I hope the quality is ok
Attached Files

SOUR TIMES.MP3 (4.92 MB, 129 views)

Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

I think entombed should do a cover of this song!

Hey I like it - the kick is a little dated but - I know some guys still refuse to let it go. The hard passes sounds kewlest.
Old 8th May 2006
hey dim, what would you do with the kick?

It was a big old ludwig, no dampening or anything and a real tight batter head, BOING!

He specifically said he DID NOT want a "clicky metal kick", so that's what I ended up with.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

The sound I'm after is the room sound together with the kick, skin, beater... I think you could reshape the sound and tweak the mix - maybe turn down the kick. I think the kick have too much focus right now - it is too separated from the rest of the kit. Try find the glue that will make the kick come together with the rest of the kit. If you know what I mean bro.

Keep it E-X!
Old 8th May 2006
I hear ya, I mixed the kick and snare hot for mastering in case they lose the center.

I am sure I'll remix it 20 times because I am an idiot, but this is the one that went out.

KEEP IT DIM! heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search