The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording brother´s band with the tips from you guys!
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Recording brother´s band with the tips from you guys!

So, the tips I got from you guys on this tread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/68213-recording-band-together-untreated-room.html

..led to that I wanted to try some new techniques! On this recording everything was recorded live. No overdubs except the songtracks. I actually miked the PA speaker my brother sang thru to get that a nice raw edge, but it was edited away..

I used the drum-miking technique Fletcher presented. 3 mikes: 1 adk a51 for OH, d112 for kick and 57 for snare. Mixed in mono. Bass was also miked with a51. Beta 57 in front of guitar amp. 5 mikes in all directly into a Firepod. Song was overdubbed with MXL mic of some kind, I dunno what model.

..well did a really quick and raw mix, not finished at all. What do you think of these guys? Quite a drummer, ey? They are inspired by the Kinks and early The Who. Mods..

edit: new version, with minor changes. still raw..
Attached Files

city life.m4a (4.45 MB, 464 views)

Old 8th May 2006
Gear Nut

The only simple tweek i can think of is to use a little creative panning with you instruments. And prob mess with the snare with some Eq . Sounds Cool!--CK
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckswartwood
The only simple tweek i can think of is to use a little creative panning with you instruments. And prob mess with the snare with some Eq . Sounds Cool!--CK
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I have some finetuning to do - but I actually seem to like this mix more and more, although I just did it quite sloppy and quick for the band to evaluate.

Gonna work with the panning, though. Maybe drums in the left speaker and song in the right. Just kidding..

Anyone else?
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Made some minor changes, leadsong might be to harsh though. I´m gonna let this rest a few days - I´m in no hurry, ´cause is just my lil bro´s band.

Enjoy!
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

yeah isnt it funny when you bust through a mix and get it done quickly and then compare it to 6 and 7 hour mixes and say.......why does this mix sound better!!!!! oh well--Keep it up.--CK
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Mixed with Reaper and only free plugins!

Just had to try this! Remixed with the free daw Reaper - every plugin on the mix is also share- or freeware. Well the mix isn´t quite "there" yet, have to learn the program a bit more.. what do ya think?
Attached Files

citylife.mp3 (4.38 MB, 1355 views)

Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

I like it a lot!

couldn't play the mp4 - great you added the mp3!
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Glad you like it, Dim! What do you think of the mix? I´m so lost in this new program, that I can´t really focus on what I´m hearing. It´s quite a task to learn to handle a new daw, after years of using Cubase. Maybe in a few days I will feel I´m more in control of things.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Sounds diry and that's good! I like the vibe . I'm not a hifi man - to me it sound cool!
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

what daw are you talking about? Please say you bought a Radar - or did you go mac? I don't know if you call radar daw though... Anyway - I'm curious - please tell!
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim light
what daw are you talking about? Please say you bought a Radar - or did you go mac? I don't know if you call radar daw though... Anyway - I'm curious - please tell!
No, man - it´s Reaper, a free DAW for Windows. It´s on beta-status but works like a charm. Check out www.reaper.fm

It can load vst- and dxplugs, has 64 bit mixengine (I think?), unlimited amount of channels and busses.. the list goes on. The best thing is that it loads so damn fast and only occupies 3 mb on your harddrive.

I found all the free(share) vst-plugs on the KVR-site..

Didn´t record with radar obviously - used a Presonus Fire...something. Everything was recorded live in the room except vocals. Drums recorded in mono (one oh, sm 57 on snare, d112 for kick), Telecaster into a Musicman 210 with shure beta 57 in front of it. Adk a51 for the bass cabinet. Don´t remember what kind of bass.. Lots of leakage, which sounds cool I think. All songtracks were made with some sort chinese OEM-mic. Will try something "ruffer" on vocals next time though.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Oh yeah I've seen that thing! So you are all plugin now (ha!) - shame on you. Sounds like a cool system. Take some pictures of the new buy with a candy smile! I need more AD/DA - I was thinking of the old APOGEE AD/DA 8000 stuff but it's corny expensive - they seem to have a vibe/hype going on... I hate being poor.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim light
Oh yeah I've seen that thing! So you are all plugin now (ha!) - shame on you. Sounds like a cool system. Take some pictures of the new buy with a candy smile! I need more AD/DA - I was thinking of the old APOGEE AD/DA 8000 stuff but it's corny expensive - they seem to have a vibe/hype going on... I hate being poor.
I too am poor! The recording was done at my brothers music collective´s studio. The gear they got is not top notch, but the room sounds absolutely amazing! I think it was a Presonus firebox (2, actually) by the way, and it worked really smooth. The units´ preamps on vocals are kinda bland though. I´m going to take some photos of the studio when I got some sparetime, I promise..

I mixed it at home - my setup is: crappy old pc (1.6 ghz amd) with M-audio 24/96 into a really nice little denon amp which is feeding my ADAM anf-10´s. Great monitors, but I have to use headphones for the bassleveling, the ADAMS don´t go very far down.

My tip: skip the Apogee and put the money into acoustic treatment instead. Makes bigger difference imo.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

I have the treatment on the walls - pretty expensive - the sound is ok here - the ceiling is too low though.

The AD/DA thing is all about the studio routing plus I have to studios in the house and only 16 channels of AD/DA - would be nice to have 24 channels in the mix/tracking room and 8 AD - in the drum studio room.

I need lots of stuff to make the connection and workflow easier for me - now I have to re-configure all the time and I'm starting to get very tired of it. I just want to record and have everything ready... But it will cost me!

I agree - the room is the key to the door
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

Awesome!

REAPER strikes again

COol song, catchy and jangly and happy
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio
Awesome!

REAPER strikes again

COol song, catchy and jangly and happy
Thanks for the input - I will forward it to my lil´brotha

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search