The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Weathervane Multitracks - Filthybird Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

Weathervane Multitracks - Filthybird

Happy New Year, folks...

I'm so glad we're doing this again! Volume 3 of Shaking Through starts Tuesday January 24 with the band Filthybird, from Graham, North Carolina. The band is headed up by singer and songwriter, Rene Mendoza, with her husband, guitar luthier Brian Haran (Brian owns an awesome guitar shop in North Carolina called Fret Sounds). Both as people, and as musicians Filthybird has a vibe that makes us so, so happy.

The recording is super cool, too. Drummer James Wallace brought with him a 50 or 60 year old kick drum, and an old 15" WFL snare (yes, that's 15" NOT 14"). They also had KILLER vintage amps, and every guitar in the room had Brian's custom touch on it.

On our end, the final mix is crazy saturated with our bizarro chain of guitar pedal effects, re-amped and super-reverbed. But don't worry so much about that. You guys go nuts, just like you always do. Get your experimentation on, whether it's crazy and unlistenable to anyone but you (sometimes I think that's what our mixes verge on), or it's the pinnacle of professional elegance. You are the boss! Questions and conversation are encouraged, as is all sharing below!

Love,

B

NOTE: ALL FILES BELOW ARE UPDATED. VIDEOS ARE LIVE, TOO! Please let me know what you think!

SHAKING THROUGH:
FILTHYBIRD - I'D LIKE TO KNOW
(Final Mastered MP3 will be posted Tuesday January 24)

MULTI-TRACKS | MIX-STEMS | TRACK SHEET | EPISODE PAGE + VIDEOS

Shaking Through - Filthybird: Brian McTear and Rene Mendoza by wvmusic, on Flickr
Old 21st January 2012
Great ! Downloading tracks at the moment.
Old 22nd January 2012
I was looking at Track sheet and there is section called: MIX. There are only few processors (distressor and API EQ). Is that really everything mixer used or I didn't understand the tracksheet ?
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grin-go-go View Post
I was looking at Track sheet and there is section called: MIX. There are only few processors (distressor and API EQ). Is that really everything mixer used or I didn't understand the tracksheet ?
Sorry, the "Mix section" is mostly for the purpose of keeping track of outboard chains in the mix, especially effects. There's definitely plugins and such that aren't listed... probably a LOT of them.
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear interested

Old 22nd January 2012
Gear interested

this looked like too much fun... i had to register... svealey, i love the bounce you got out of the kick and bass. my first post too
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Maniac

My mix

Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Head

Another newbie here I'd seen some of the previous Shaking Through threads and thought it was about time I got in the game and threw a mix to the wolves.
I'm a live sound engineer, working with mostly corporate gigs, so I don't mix bands that often these days, so these tracks have been a way of trying to keeping my ear in - thanks for that Brian.

Cheers,

Arran
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear interested

thanks fretsounds! yeah i really just had to find the right compression scheme to make that happen. i ended up using a puigchild on the bass then bussed it to the same output buss as the drums and had a ssl comp just getting about 1db of quick/grabby compression.

serpico, i love how you got the acoustic to cut through! i was havin some issues with that
Old 23rd January 2012
Here for the gear

Mix

Old 23rd January 2012
Gear Maniac

Hey guys, welcome back....a straight mix for now, might revisit it for something bent later on.
Attached Files

wvfilthstraightmix1.mp3 (3.92 MB, 236 views)

Old 23rd January 2012
Gear interested

my attempt.....

Old 23rd January 2012
Gear interested

Dustin, that sounds just plain dope... Jack, love the breakdown with the drums cut. You guys are getting great guitar sounds with how the two electrics play in and out of each other. It's what we intended.
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by svealey View Post
serpico, i love how you got the acoustic to cut through! i was havin some issues with that
Thanks for that! I really tussled with the acoustic trying to turn it into something it wasn't, I even considered ditching it as I wasn't sure that it wasn't just a scratch track, but I really wanted the midrange it added between the vocals/electric guitars and bass. In the end I bypassed a lot of the things I'd tried and just used a little bit of high mid cutting, some compression and reverb.
I generally find that the least I mess with something the better it sounds...
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear interested

and me...

still working on learning compression.

I especially like the breakdown section to the end.

Old 23rd January 2012
Gear interested
My attempt:

Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Here is my mix down. Another great recording, great song and performance. Love the bands you guys find!

Old 24th January 2012
Here for the gear

Critiques

I enjoy getting critiqued as much as the next guy posting on here, so I figured I'd do my duty and contribute my opinions. Besides, I wouldn't have improved myself had it not been for people like you do doing the same thing for me.

Svealey - Overall well balanced and I liked the reverb on the vocals. A tiny bit much compression for my taste... but nonetheless it still works.

Uakeen - Also a nice contribution. I would say that some reverb actually would be useful on the vocals in this instance. The guitars and drums have that room mic to add that liveliness and when the vocals are dry, they just feel like they are seperate from the rest of the mix for me. I guess too intimate? is the best way I could describe it. Also could be a little brighter.

Yazoo - Just too much compression. I don't know if the intention was to make it loud as possible but it is very washed out sounding.

Serpico - Nice job as far as overall balance. I think the mids are lacking and too much in the high mid section around 3k - 7k for the whole mix. The approach might be better suited for a different kind of song though.

Manuke - I'm diggin it. Sometimes strait forward mixes have wonderful results. Kinda like let the music speak for itself. I would like to hear a bit more snare too.

Jackadawson - Lots of clarity in the high end... Lacking in the low. Not enough body or warmth.

Sethn27 - Compression can be a tricky thing to get right. One thing that could help this mix is to give it more spread. Give each instrument more room to breathe.

Projectelroy - Another case of lacking low end. You got the guitars to come through nicely.

Bugscoe - Nicely balanced. Everything has its place. Could use a bit less compression to my ears. Perhaps just a slower attack time on snare/drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretsounds View Post
Dustin, that sounds just plain dope...
Greatly appreciated words Fretsounds.

I hope this helps and gives anyone reading this some insight.
Old 24th January 2012
Here for the gear

Old 24th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinThomason View Post

Serpico - Nice job as far as overall balance. I think the mids are lacking and too much in the high mid section around 3k - 7k for the whole mix. The approach might be better suited for a different kind of song though.
That's a pretty accurate description of my master buss EQ. It wasn't to my taste, but I find that most commercial tracks fit that profile. That you picked up on it shows that it's not universal, and in this case at least I should have trusted my instincts.
If I was to mix this again (which I might do), I'd lose the high mid boost, lose the tambourine (combined with pick noise from the acoustic it sounds a bit like the artifacts you get with a low rate mp3 conversion), and spend more time on the vocals; I think they sound a little reedy (not helped by the master EQ), and they needed automating; the EQ in the parts where the backing vox comes in, and the vocal level throughout the track to even out syllables that compression wasn't working for. Fader riding is something I'm really poor at, you just don't do it live - there's too much else to do and you're reacting to level changes that have already occurred. How do people normally do it? I was thinking write the lyrics out with annotations for level corrections where needed?

Quote:
I hope this helps and gives anyone reading this some insight.
Definitely, thanks for taking the time.
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinThomason View Post
The approach might be better suited for a different kind of song though.
Actually I think you've hit the nail on the head there - what I need is a reference track, what is everyone else using?
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico View Post
Actually I think you've hit the nail on the head there - what I need is a reference track, what is everyone else using?
You'll have the perfect reference in a short bit when the Weathervane boys post their mix.

It's always nice to have a 'rough' mix to go off of so you can keep the vision of the band and producer in mind. Although with all these mixes I think the main point is to be more experimental and have some creative fun.
Old 24th January 2012
Gear interested
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Maniac

I'm sorry....
Attached Files

wv filthystoopid.mp3 (3.73 MB, 226 views)

Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuke View Post
I'm sorry....
The very last part you have a sweet groove going.
Old 25th January 2012
Gear interested

manuke... that's what i've been waiting for... love it
Old 25th January 2012
Thanks for getting the videos up. I always enjoy watching those.
Old 25th January 2012
Here for the gear

This song is great! Brian, could you enlighten us on the production techniques for the vocals? It looks like you reamped them along with effect pedals based on the track sheet. In the final mix are the lead vocals were hearing all reamped? Did you reamp the doubled voices through the effects on the tracking sheet together or separate. The end result is beautiful. Another job well done from weathervane.
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Guru

Wow -- just discovered this. Fun. Great song, too. I gave it a go... didn't spend much time trying to sort out the guitars at the end, but what the hey.
Attached Files

f-bird_mix1.mp3 (4.71 MB, 159 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search