The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acoustic Guitar Sound - Thumbs up for MR816.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Acoustic Guitar Sound - Thumbs up for MR816.

Hi,

Just thought i'd post a few short clips of a recent live session i did with a friend of mine. He's a solo singer songwriter. It was done in my Kitchen, with my old Takamine EAN-10C.

An Audio Technica 4033a was placed at the bridge/saddle, and a Neumann TLM102 at the 12th fret. (both angled inward via the shock mount)

They were placed quite a decent distance away (about 3ft) which is further away than i would normally try out, but it sounded so nice i didnt bother to move them!

Vocals were SM7 into GAP73, although i wont include too much vocals because his isnt the worlds greatest singer, although he is a pretty decent guitar player it has to be said..

Anyway, just thought i'd post these to give some people an idea of the MR816's preamps. They are very clean and neutral, and very little was required in mixing to get them sounding like this. Just a small amount of sparkle, a small amount of first order low cut filtering, and touch of LX480 Relab reverb.

First time i've been really happy with the sound of an acoustic guitar that i've recorded myself.

Would love to know what you think!

Cheers.
Nathan.
Attached Files

Guitars.mp3 (3.61 MB, 1160 views)

Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

I think that's very good An 816 and TLM102 are a good combination for acoustic.

The singer sounded OK to me. He's in tune which always helps... The recorded sound of the vocals is maybe a bit too "breathy" but I'm sure you could fix that.

If you're interested, these clips from AGF are one of my references for great acoustic sound.
Old 28th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post
Hi,

Just thought i'd post a few short clips of a recent live session i did with a friend of mine. He's a solo singer songwriter. It was done in my Kitchen, with my old Takamine EAN-10C.

An Audio Technica 4033a was placed at the bridge/saddle, and a Neumann TLM102 at the 12th fret. (both angled inward via the shock mount)

They were placed quite a decent distance away (about 3ft) which is further away than i would normally try out, but it sounded so nice i didnt bother to move them!

Vocals were SM7 into GAP73, although i wont include too much vocals because his isnt the worlds greatest singer, although he is a pretty decent guitar player it has to be said..

Anyway, just thought i'd post these to give some people an idea of the MR816's preamps. They are very clean and neutral, and very little was required in mixing to get them sounding like this. Just a small amount of sparkle, a small amount of first order low cut filtering, and touch of LX480 Relab reverb.

First time i've been really happy with the sound of an acoustic guitar that i've recorded myself.

Would love to know what you think!

Cheers.
Nathan.
Hey you've got a GREAT sounding guitar there! Did you do any panning for the guitars?
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassam_m View Post
Hey you've got a GREAT sounding guitar there! Did you do any panning for the guitars?
Hi. Thanks

Yeah, panning was done 50% on each of the two tracks.

Another little trick I used to get a little more depth is to pan the reverb of each track opposite to the dry track, but usually only half the distance (i.e. 25% panning), which just gives you a slightly more organic reverb.

Low cut is also important. It took me around 3 attempts before I settled on this amount, which was a 6dB filter at 150Hz, so the slope/cutoff was a nice smooth fade.

I find this unit to be better than my old fireface 800 by a million miles. heh
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear

I like the guitar sound
Old 6th October 2011
Gear Head

Hey good guitar sound, quite bright but very transparent!

Nice on

He doesn't sing bad at all men. I've seen much worse things than that!

Cheers maate!!
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

After much reading I think I'm selling my FF400 to get the Steiny.

Fingers crossed.

BTW, the clip sounds awesome.
Old 19th March 2012
Here for the gear

out of curiosity, what processing did you do to the voice? It sounds like it's coming from behind or something. Wondered if you applied some kind of back ambience or phasey stuff to it?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search