The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone else heard this song? Josh Garrels - Words Remain
Old 18th September 2011
Anyone else heard this song? Josh Garrels - Words Remain

The performance, arrangement, and mixing on this song are all killer IMHO. Wondering what you all though?

Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
The performance, arrangement, and mixing on this song are all killer IMHO. Wondering what you all though?
I can't stand that over-coooked emotional but completely insincere style of vocal delivery: really ruins it for me, plus when the song is duff all the trimmings are just proverbial polishing. This is slickly produced but ultimately hollow gesturing - a bit embarrassing really.

--------------------
Piet Haag's sounds on SoundCloud
www.piethaag.com
Old 18th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundseed View Post
I can't stand that over-coooked emotional but completely insincere style of vocal delivery: really ruins it for me, plus when the song is duff all the trimmings are just proverbial polishing. This is slickly produced but ultimately hollow gesturing - a bit embarrassing really.

--------------------
Piet Haag's sounds on SoundCloud
www.piethaag.com

I totally respect your opinion. But, I completely disagree with the statement about it being "insincere." I think theres some raw emotion behind this vocal. It was all recorded live to my knowledge. It wasn't just filmed with mikes there to look live.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
I totally respect your opinion. But, I completely disagree with the statement about it being "insincere." I think theres some raw emotion behind this vocal. It was all recorded live to my knowledge. It wasn't just filmed with mikes there to look live.
I'm not disputing the quality of production, but live performance and recording doesn't automatically add or convey sincerity.

I put a pair of earbuds on, closed my eyes and listened - and when you disconnect from the image of wrought emotion on the singers face, it just comes across as bland, sterile and histrionic filled averageness.
Old 18th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundseed View Post
I'm not disputing the quality of production, but live performance and recording doesn't automatically add or convey sincerity.

I put a pair of earbuds on, closed my eyes and listened - and when you disconnect from the image of wrought emotion on the singers face, it just comes across as bland, sterile and histrionic filled averageness.
I meant what I said to be two different, unrelated thoughts. I didn't mean to for it to come off as "because it was tracked live, it automatically has sincerity." I just stated that it was tracked live, because in my opinion, its a little more commendable to have a decent sounding "live" mix vs a studio mix where you can zero in and get everything perfect. Yeah, that was a separate idea from me discussing as to whether or not his voice has sincerity, my bad. I still enjoyed it and give the guy props for writing and arranging the whole piece and implementing some more matured chords than the average pop song.
Old 18th September 2011
By the way, what mics is he using? I'm not a huge mic buff, I own a total of 2 decent mics and a ton of old crappy ones I inherited....

The main vocal mic looks like a Bock of some sort and the shotgun looks like a rode...not entirely sure.
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

I agree that the song and recording is killer all around. These guys have gotten recent props in the media(article in the nytimes). They are a pretty new collective that have great engineers. Regarding sincerity of the artist an vocal delivery, I very much disagree and so do the 22,000 people who downloaded his new album in it's first week and a half out..... Upwards of 50,000 at this point since august. But I guess you have the right to an opinion.
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Correction... 50,000 since June.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wberry View Post
I agree that the song and recording is killer all around. These guys have gotten recent props in the media(article in the nytimes). They are a pretty new collective that have great engineers. Regarding sincerity of the artist an vocal delivery, I very much disagree and so do the 22,000 people who downloaded his new album in it's first week and a half out..... Upwards of 50,000 at this point since august. But I guess you have the right to an opinion.
Some people have a different yardstick for musical sincerity.

NME Album Reviews - Album Review: Kassidy - Hope St (Vertigo) - NME.COM

Mumford & Sons: Sigh No More | Album Reviews | Pitchfork

---------------------
www.piethaag.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search