The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So my song sounds perfect...but it's 6db too soft Dynamics Plugins
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

You don't necessarily need any outboard to make a track loud.. It sounds like you could use a second opinion on your mix though. It all depends on the type of music but mixes that fall apart when being pushed often have some balance issues..
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrock View Post
So professional mastering engineers just get their jobs by getting a good track, dithering it, giving it back and saying "just turn up the stereo and it will be loud enough"
No. But they don't crank out today's volumes without significant damage either.

If you want today's volume, you have to give up some of the sound. If you don't want to give up some of the sound, you can't have today's volume.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
OK so I uploaded it to Soundcloud for you guys to listen if you feel inclined. As you can tell by the image it's been limited to the gills. The ambient beat that starts at the beginning hits the meter pretty hard, but it's quite soft (relative to everything else) so to gain headroom I would either have to make it almost inaudible or significantly reduce the bassline. Neither option is particularly appealing to me because I like them both to be present.

Too Soft?
Nothing about that song even "wants" to be loud. It's so laid back. Why push it?
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymilton View Post
Agree with previous posters who have pointed out the preponderance of low-mids.

It doesn't sound muddy, but it certainly doesn't sound bright either. The handclap (or whatever it was) - the equivalent of a 'snare' - just doesn't have enough crack to it.

The bass doesn't have enough presence.

Rather than go straight to EQ, I would use some distortion. Logic has some great underappreciated distortions that will often add perceived volume without increasing the literal volume, preserving headroom.

I like the Distortion II plug and also Bitcrusher. Experiment with Distortion II in either "Bitey" or "Nasty" mode (you could try "Growl" as well, but I generally find the other 2 work better). Experiment with the three parameters, but I generally find keeping 'Tone' set low, or at zero, works better. Bitcrusher is obviously more radical, but give it a go if you're not getting anywhere.

Try these first independently on the handclap, and then various drums. then move onto your bass. I would leave the wash synths untouched. By distorting, you're increasing the harmonic content of the instrument. Don't be scared off by the word 'distortion': your sounds will change a little, but you'd be surprised how little, and how much perceived volume you get for those little alterations. A little distortion on a kick will get it cutting through. Sometimes you luck out with the right sound immediately, sometimes it takes a lot of trial and error.

You can also try putting a distortion plug on a send, and thus adjusting the amount an instrument receives, while preserving more of the undistorted sound.
But again... Why does this song even want a cracking snare and a fat bass? It is laid back. Why can't the sonics also be laid back? The last thing this needs is growl, bite, and nasty.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheebs Goat View Post
Nothing about that song even "wants" to be loud. It's so laid back. Why push it?
I guess my worry is that I pushed it as far as it could go (without getting ugly), and it's still about 6db softer than my commercial reference tracks. Try as I might I can't get enough headroom to do anything more even if I wanted to...it's so annoying lol but I think I screwed myself by making it so mids-y and chill
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

But... If that's what works to get the sound you want, then that's what works. So you actually "screwed yourself" the instant you wrote the song.

Only, you didn't screw yourself. You made the sound you wanted. If you go for modern loud, you need to abandon what you wanted and shoe horn the song into something else. And that practice can't end soon enough. If I hear "that" snare sound run through "that" transient designer again I'm gonna' roll my eyes clear outta' my head.

Don't get me wrong. It's a damn impressive feat of technology and skillful engineering to make the Foo Fighters indistinguishable from Paramore...but should it even have been done?
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
But definitely take out the limiter.
+1
You must keep the full dynamic for that music genre. You real don't need to be as loud as a hip-hop track.
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheebs Goat View Post

Don't get me wrong. It's a damn impressive feat of technology and skillful engineering to make the Foo Fighters indistinguishable from Paramore...but should it even have been done?
ROFL!
Old 25th September 2011
soulstudios
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
I've pretty much got this song sounding as good as I want...but like the title says it's 6db softer than a commercial cd. I threw on some limiting/comp on the master buss to maximize what I can get staying just below the clipping level. I tried turning off everything on the master buss and messing around with my channels to get them louder but there's definitely a breaking point and to push it further sounds quite bad. This is all using logic's plug-ins, and perhaps some outboard comp/limiting could bring it up more, but I'm frustrated that I seem to have hit the threshold of loudness. Am I stuck with this great but under-volume track?
I just listened to it -
the problem with this is not a mastering thing, and it should probably be in the Show and Tell section not here - on that note,
things that would help the mix, get a bit of separation and make it more beautiful:
vcc/equivalent,
tape (r2r, vtmm2 would be my starting points, or roundtone if you're budget-conscious)
more intensive eq sculpting,
very light group compression.

After that you shouldn't have to worry about 'loud', you should be thinking about 'right' as in 'that sounds right' or 'that doesn't sound right'.
I don't listen to over-compressed lofi electronica typically, as it's not relaxing, which is the entire point of the genre. Don't **** up your song by mismatching mastering style/overall production with mood.
My 2c.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search