The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hallelujah (cover) - VOX and Guitar only Dynamic Microphones
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hallelujah (cover) - VOX and Guitar only

A friend of mine asked me to mix this song for her, just wondering what you guys think of it......

Its a simple mix, just a single guitar and her single vocal take

For some reason, i cant stop plying it....her voice is freakin awesome.....

Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

62 views, ......and no comments yet?????
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds good man!
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

she has an awesome voice
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Sound like she has a nice voice. I'd love to have a shot at producing her to hear what she's capable of. Certainly hard to tell what she's like on a creative level when she's not only doing the most covered song ever, but doing a direct ripoff of the Buckley version.

I absolutely hate the production from start to finish, guitar tone's not right, weird delay on vocals, tuned to death, etc.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

its amazing that she recorded this using nothing more than a budget USB condenser mic in her apartment.

To get her in a studio to listen to her really "belt it out" would be amazing.

Whats wrong with the production? I like the guitar tone, and there was no "auto tune" used on her vox....
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan k View Post
its amazing that she recorded this using nothing more than a budget USB condenser mic in her apartment.

To get her in a studio to listen to her really "belt it out" would be amazing.

Whats wrong with the production? I like the guitar tone, and there was no "auto tune" used on her vox....
Sorry man, I was having a bad day and took it out on you

That is pretty impressive. I still think the guitar tone could be improved, sounds like a processed DI signal to me. Or a mediocre amp. I'm spoiled with guitar stuff over here though, I'm used to awesome guitars and tube amps. The vox still sound graphically tuned to me, could just be that "plastickyness" of the sh!tty USB mic and the accuracy of the singer. Still not a fan of the reverb/delay. I would have EQ'd some of the high end sheen out of the reverb send, and I don't like the repeated quarter note tape delay. It results in those bizarre repeated words at the end of some phrases. Also you can hear edits all over the vocal track. I don't know if this was the final printed mix though.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

"Also you can hear edits all over the vocal track."

What kind of edits are you referring to?I did do alot of cutting in between vocal phrases. During the silent parts, you could hear things in the background like her resting her arms down on a table/desk, breathing, bumping into the mic, etc....

so that i did cut out.

Yes, the guitar was processed a bit. I had to convert it into a stereo track, and widen it out a bit. Just having the mono guitar and vocal only, the song sounded way too mono/center.....so widening the guitar was my way of giving the song some width.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

ok, here's a new version...

I added Drums, Bass guitar, Backing Vox, Violins/cellos, and a Harp......

If you guys didn't care much from the "simple guitar/vox only production", hows this version?
Attached Files

Halle-full-prod-mas.mp3 (8.88 MB, 119 views)

Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I thought it was very good, the only thing that turned me off was that it is a cover of a cover..and I always find that weird. If your going to cover a song like that, especially one that has been covered to death in recent years..you have to do something pretty unique with it.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

The new version sounded terrible btw..drums all out of time etc
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
The new version sounded terrible btw..drums all out of time etc
Really?

I dont know how it could have slipped out of time.....its a Midi loop.....

whats the "etc"?? besides the drums?
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

...........sorry dude but this is really pretty unlistenable to.......tried twice to get past the first minute or so........ her voce may well be "..freakin awesome..." but I'll have to take your word for it. If it is then you have tuned all the lfe out of it.......horrible. Ths kind of approach MIGHT work in chart pop but is horribly inappropriate here....so post an untuned version.....please!
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

GUYS.....

i DID NOT not use any "tuning" of any sorts on her Vox!

I did spot check it with a tuning device that allows you to SEE the wave and all its different pitches, but i didnt see anything out of tune, and it was all so SPOT ON from her raw recording....i didnt have to use it.

i cant believe you guys would actually say 'this sounds bad, .....her voice is too perfectly in tune". Shes a great singer. Her Vocal Coach tells her she has 'perfect pitch".......and i believe her......
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I didnt hear any tuning software on it, and im really sensitive to that kind of thing.

Anyhow with regards to the drums, well it may be a loop but it doesn't lock at all with the guitar/vocal track.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post

Anyhow with regards to the drums, well it may be a loop but it doesn't lock at all with the guitar/vocal track.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. This part is what i was most afraid of and had a hard time with. Mostly because its an odd 12/8 measure.......but.....

Originally, when i used the loop....it sounded "off" to me. Almost like it was playing ahead of everything else, coming in too early on every bar, etc. So i then slid the loop forward 1/16th (beat/bar) and it seems to have meet up with everything else.

Does it sound like i shouldn't have slid it (drums) forward by 1/16th?

Do you think it plays Behind or Ahead of everything else (as it is right now)?
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
GUYS.....

i DID NOT not use any "tuning" of any sorts on her Vox!
...........really.....well don't know what I'm hearing then.....tbut here's some weird sort of phasey chorusey thing going on which is making the vocal sound quite un natural......slightly inhuman......whereas I guess what I want to hear is warmth and intimacy. You sure she didn't run it through something before she gave you the files?
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

she doesnt have any plugins of the sorts on her end. Its just her, her USB mic, and Garageband software that she really doesnt know how to use.....

If its a phasey chorusey thing your hearing.....i know what it is.

I used Waves CLA Signature Vocal plugin on her Vox track, and there's a modulation effect called 'spreader' on that, ....which i used...... I kinda like that 'phasey-ness' sound it does.....

you got some good ears on you man!
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Maniac

her voice is perfect. huge voice.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

There doesn't seem to be any musical connection between her and the song. She's hitting the pitches but something is missing. Maybe she needs to find a personal connection with the lyrics? How old is she?
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

She's young, very early 20s.

So far, I got (from previous posts) there's crappy sounding guitars, drums don't sound right, and the vox sound strange.

So sounds like this song is a piece of doo-doo.

So now I turn to you all, as a humble "slut"........what do I have to do to turn this song into something decent, enough to showcase her abilities?
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
what do I have to do to turn this song into something decent, enough to showcase her abilities?
Ok Brian. You hang around this site long enough and there are two pieces of received wisdom which crop up time and time again, The first is the truest thing you will be likely to hear: The vocal is King or in you case Queen. The second is of dubious value and your mix has proved that: you can take any great singer and capture their performance on a radio shack mic, I'm simplifying a bit here but you get my drift. Re-record the vocal........I'l say it again just in case you didn't hear RE-RECORD THE VOCAL. Why? you ask. I think there are a couple of factors preventing people here from connecting with the song. 1. She recorded it herself in under less than ideal conditions, so from a techncal point of view......it sucks.
2. I think a little input from you or someone else might coax a more a more "real" and compelling performance from her. Get her away from the page and away from every recordng she's ever heard......get her to purge them from her brain. And get her to think about what the song means. Yeah I know........the radio is full of dumbed down, meaningless autotuned performances.......why rock the boat. Well that's up to you and her I guess. Anyway if you can convince her to re-record it, a lowly sm 57 into a cheap-ish preamp will be fine. Get her comfortable and just record, do 4 or 5 takes and you can comp........you can also if necessary do a little subtle tunng should it need it. Another thing you wll hear many top engineers say is vibe, tone, meaning, phrasing, timing first, then pitch. That is as long as it's a phrase is in the ballpark pitch wise, you'll get more mojo from a phrase that's a lttle pitchy but really " feels" good than one where everything is " correct" but for want of a better word " flat" in energy and emotion. Good luck.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

I would suggest a different song. Either an original (my preference) or a less beaten to death cover.Something that she can make hers without competing against the countless versions in the listeners mind. That would make a HUGE difference. Also, if you're showcasing her, take your time. Make sure she has it nailed. Practice is a good thing!
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

+1 another song is the best route here.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac

BrianK - I think she has a good voice, but this song is forced. I think she is too worried about hitting the correct notes, that as AlphaDingo has stated, there is no connection with the song. When my eldest daughter was 16 she asked me to record her doing this tune, I have attached a link, that is my only reference to the original, but I think the problem is in the phrasing, not pitch.

Hallelujiah - Erin Cressy by louismcressy on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

I liked it. The only thing I would suggest is to cut some highs or de-ess the vocal...it sounded a little harsh to my ears. The guitar sound was pretty good IMO.
Old 24th September 2011
Here for the gear

Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like she is singing behind the beat (rhythm of the guitar), so the drums are going to sound off if you tie them to the vocals. The recording without the added production is much better, but if you want to add more to the song, focus on making the other parts go along with the guitar not the vocal. The vocal line should take care of itself if it was working with the solo guitar.

As others have said, this song is a bit long in the tooth, but if you really like it there is no reason to not make your own version of it. Even though I am all for "original" music, just because it's original, it doesn't make it good, and just cause it's a cover, it doesn't make it bad. Geez.. how many different recordings ("covers") are there of Beethoven's 5th symphony?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search