The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum mix critique (Rock/Metal) Dynamic Microphones
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Drum mix critique (Rock/Metal)

The band is recording. We haven't really commited to a sound yet, but I tend to gravitate towards a full drum sound and put everything around that. I might be wrong in the end though.

Comments/advice welcome.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35549815/DRUMS.mp3
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

You can very clearly hear what sounds to be gates on the snare at times. How did you mic this whole thing up? It sounds like there's a single mic 6-10 feet back from the kit, one on the kick, and one on the snare? It sounds really open/distant and for the genre, I'm not sure I'm digging it too much. I could see that on Jazz (minus the compression/gating/EQ on the kick/snare), but not for metal.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

There's overheads, hat, center, ride (Kel HM-1), and a pair of NT1-A for the room; as you say some feet away.

Racks toms are Senn e906. Floor is a ATM250 (top) and Behr C1 (bottom).

Snare is Shure Beta 57A (top), and some cheap "58"-type mic I can't remember for the wires.

Kick is a Slate sample, and there are also some room samples of the recorded kit thrown in.

We are actually going for a more acoustic off-trend sound with this. But as you say, things might change when we commit to bass and guitar tones. I just really dig those open, roomy drum sounds, lol.

How are the lows and general balance? Too much?

I'll work on the snare. Might throw in a sample for the sustain/ring if that works.
I sampled the whole kit prior to recording so I've got some options.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search