The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing a choir in Metal Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Mixing a choir in Metal

Greetings,

So, I'm going great guns at mixing a powermetal track. I found some great advice in a thread about mixing backing vocals (though I can't find it now) which helped me out a great deal with a rock track I did.

Now, it's metal o'clock and I've got a 4 piece choir as well as backing vocals and lead vocals. Techniques I used in the previous rock track were stereo delaying, detuning by 11 steps each side, de-essing, joint compression, eq-ing and of course a sprinkling of reverb.

I find that, as a choir, they are singing short sharp words rather than sustaining long notes. Having stuck them through a Puigchild, equing the bottom end out of them, adding air at around 10k+, and reverb, it's sounding OK as it stands as a church choir. I'm finding it hard to make it sit with the mix though as it is quite a busy track texture wise.

Ideally, I'd like to talk to Sascha Paeth about this, (who is 'the man' for epic power metal recordings such as Rhapsody of Fire, Epica, and Avantasia). Indeed all the examples I can think of have been engineered by him. If he is reading here, can I have a calling card? Thanks.

Here's some examples of what I'm after below. I'm guessing an audio excerpt would help out here, though I'm away from the project at present.

Looking forward to hearing some ideas...
MD.
Old 21st October 2011
Here for the gear

I love the old Rhapsody albums! Classic!
One thing I notice about these mixes is how quiet the guitars are when there is a lot of vocal going on, pretty "not up front". Plus there is a definite space carved our for them EQ wise ( or captured that way with a lot of foresight).
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search