The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Weathervane Multitracks - Family Band Studio Headphones
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Weathervane Multitracks - Family Band

Hi folks,

Okay, so there's another new Shaking Through on the way. This time the band is Family Band, curated and produced by none other than Daniel Rossen of the amazing band, Grizzly Bear! The song was engineered by our very own young mega-talent, Jonathan Low - and I didn't lift a finger. That's right: no Brian on this recording. It was kinda nice, I must say!

Family Band is husband-wife duo Kim Krans and Jonny Ollsin with family friend Scott Hirsch. Kim is a visual artist and writer of the group’s haunting, sparse songs; Johnny, the group’s guitarist, has a sort of gothy heavy metal background; and lap steel and bass player Scott is described by Rossen as exhibiting “Nashville musicianship.” It's a blend of styles that makes Family Band a tough band to categorize. The song they recorded, “Again,” perfectly displays their gripping sound and Krans’ elegant voice.

The feature videos and MP3 won't come out til Tuesday September 20, but like we've been doing a while now, we are sharing the raw tracks BEFORE we put up OUR final mix and mix-stems. … So here you go! Go nuts! Do what you do and don't worry about what we do! Again, I’ll update this thread with the final mix, mix stems and feature video links as we release them.

For now, check out this quick video of a scratch vocal guitar take from the session.

Like before, thanks to Telefunken Elektroakustik, we all had the incredible experience of being able to choose from almost their whole line of microphones, as well as a D.W. Fearn VT2 and VT7. We cut the raw take above with the Ela M251, but ended up using the U47 with a Distressor for the final vocal takes. (Always nice to have the option!)

Thanks again to Scott Wilson from Scratch Studio in NY for hosting the files again.... Scott, you are a man among men and your kindness is greatly appreciated!

Shaking Through: Family Band - Again

MULTI-TRACKS + MIX-STEMS | TRACK SHEETS | SCRATCH VOCAL / GTR TAKE VIDEO | FEATURE VIDEO | TECHNICAL VIDEO

(NOTE: ALL TRACKS SHOULD BE EXACTLY THE SAME LENGTH. If a stray oddball makes it in there, please disregard! And Warning: These are VERY LARGE FILES)

Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hello!
I have finished my mix and want to share it with you. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41152451/My%...0-%20Again.mp3

Great thanks to Weathervane Music and the artists for that beautiful music.
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

I'm very thankful for the opportunity to mix these songs from Weathervane.
And this one's a ripper; I hope I did it (some) justice.

Good practice nonetheless. I performed my first ever side-chain of a delay with the lead vocal. Yay!
Attached Files

FBAgain.mp3 (4.05 MB, 497 views)

Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

Here's mine. Can't wait for the tech video!!
Attached Files

Family Band - Again_03.mp3 (3.35 MB, 419 views)

Last edited by Rooster21; 11th September 2011 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Uploaded wrong file..
Old 11th September 2011
Okay, here's my mix.
Old 11th September 2011
RiF
Lives for gear

Couldn't resist ;-).
I went for a balanced, wide and deep mix around the vocals.
Attached Files
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Here is my Mix in DTS 5.1 Surround format
that I did in my Studio

Family Band - Again (DTS 5.1) Posted in 4shared:

http://www.4shared.com/audio/_WoEX07...DTS_51__M.html

Please you have a Home Theater System
listen and then tell me what you think ok
heh

You need
burn a CD-Audio
and you put on your Home Theater

Thank you
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

I wish i had my studio set up for 5.1 :( I dont even have a studio at the moment it sucks, not long to go though. Could you do a stereo mixdown too so i can check it out anyway? always like to hear other peoples ideas of these tracks.
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

I'd like to start off by thanking you, Brian, Weathervane Music and all the bands and technicians involved for these great opportunities, I've had plenty of fun the last couple of days since discovering these. Thanks!

This in particular is a really beautiful song, too. I did my mix before hearing the official mix or any of the others so hopefully my interpretation is a bit different. It's kind of low-key and pretty dark and noisy but I think I did alright, that aesthetic suits the song I reckon.
Attached Files

family band - again mix1.mp3 (4.67 MB, 3521 views)

Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

Hi,
Thanks for sharing this mix materials and for making this posible. I love this song and this recordings.
I went for a dirty and wet mix with alot of effects and a bit unpolished equalizing. I mixed in the box with k240 headphones and PT 8 LE with original plugins.

EDIT: Changed to stereo mp3 (was mono before by mistake)
Attached Files

Last edited by Wedoh; 14th September 2011 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: Changed to stereo mp3 (was mono before by mistake) :)
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Wow! This one has really brought in some surprisingly different mixes. It's very interesting! I'll put it out there that we should consider this a "mistake-free zone". I know Gearslutz is a place where people position themselves either as consummate examples of perfection, or total know-nothings. We shouldn't worry about that anywhere, but especially here. These threads are starting to develop a nice workshop quality, and for that I'm really thankful. I'm really happy with the responses!

Since it's coming up, I'll also say that all credit of sound quality, and you'll see "mix quality" next week, must go to Jonathan Low. I didn't lift a finger for this one.

Jon's mix, I hope you'll all check out on Tuesday, is really superb. We're all a little blown away. The song is so stunning. Kim's voice and spare nature of the song are so expansive. But Jon's mix, as you'll see, is just totally out of this world!

Thanks again, everyone!
Old 15th September 2011
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Lovely tune!
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hey, great song, thanks for sharing!

here is my try!
Attached Files

FamilyBand-Again Mix1.mp3 (8.08 MB, 246 views)

Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear
Here's my take:
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

Here's my mix. I really dug the tune. I went for a drier sound on her vocal because of the way the instruments were washed out around her. Any feedback/critiques are welcome!
Attached Files

Again 1.0.mp3 (8.02 MB, 217 views)

Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

Mix

Nices mixes here. This is my mix.
Attached Files

AGAIN.mp3 (7.83 MB, 177 views)

Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Another drunk jam - enjoyed this one! Good work guys. Hope you like this one.

Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

OK I know I posted a mix previously, but I went over to my brother's and did another mix with the added benefit of his UAD2 effects and some better monitors. And I should mention that he contributed another set of ears... and wine. I hope it is an improvement.

LSD mentors make for creative and interesting mixes.
Attached Files

01 Family_Band_mwpw.m4a (7.25 MB, 146 views)

Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

Again

WOW!

Thanks!
Attached Files

Again.mp3 (7.71 MB, 208 views)

Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I had fun, wish I had more free time with/for it. Cool song, although I might add that I never really felt like it 'got there' structure wise all around it had a cool feel/mood to it.
Attached Files

GSMIXTHING.mp3 (6.29 MB, 193 views)

Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salparadise View Post
OK I know I posted a mix previously, but I went over to my brother's and did another mix with the added benefit of his UAD2 effects and some better monitors. And I should mention that he contributed another set of ears... and wine. I hope it is an improvement.

LSD mentors make for creative and interesting mixes.
LSD sure helps!

We finished tracking around 4 in the morning, so there was no time to mix. I just did a quick level check and strapped a limiter on the master. We tried to keep the tracking fun and didn’t have time to fix everything. You can clearly hear that the tambourine is very drunk at the end, almost adding a funky shuffle feel to the drum beat.

My ears were getting fried to, the high-end is too pushed on this mix, and it’s really distracting. The mix is kind of mushy to.

I wanted to add more synths but there was no time. We decided to cut the vocals so they would match our project tempo (80bpm).

Dig you mix -
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

My mix

Had fun with this mix. Thanks for sharing!
Let me know what you guys think
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Nut

Hi!

My second version!

Thanks!
Attached Files

Again 2.mp3 (7.73 MB, 189 views)

Old 19th September 2011
Gear Nut

This song was so monday morning for me. Cloudy. Raining. Minor hang over.
Tho I had no time I fell for the song and gave it a shot. Really like the song!
Attached Files

Family Band V1.mp3 (7.83 MB, 190 views)

Old 20th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik123 View Post
Hi!

My second version!

Thanks!
I like the "live" sound. I felt like I was at a concert for sound check (after they've got everything figured out, that is).

Great job!
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crissmichaels View Post
I like the "live" sound. I felt like I was at a concert for sound check (after they've got everything figured out, that is).

Great job!

Thanks! heh
Old 20th September 2011
Here for the gear

Nice track this. Here's my take.
Attached Files

Family Band - Again 2.mp3 (7.81 MB, 172 views)

Old 21st September 2011
Here for the gear

Love the track! First mix in my new college dorm
Attached Files

01 Family Mix 2.mp3 (7.73 MB, 155 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search