The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Weathervane Multitracks - Family Band Studio Headphones
Old 29th September 2011
  #61
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
Also great ****ing job on the tracking Jon.
Old 29th September 2011
  #62
Gear Maniac
 
manuke's Avatar
 

Hey guys, normally do a traditional mix but thought I'd finally experiment a bit. Thanks again for the tracks.
Old 29th September 2011
  #63
Lives for gear
 
greatgreatriver's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuke View Post
Hey guys, normally do a traditional mix but thought I'd finally experiment a bit. Thanks again for the tracks.
This was cool...
Old 30th September 2011
  #64
Gear Maniac
 
manuke's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
This was cool...
Thanks ggr, was inspired by your experimental approach actually, nice one. Cheers.
Old 30th September 2011
  #65
Lives for gear
 
greatgreatriver's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuke View Post
Thanks ggr, was inspired by your experimental approach actually, nice one. Cheers.
Cheers bro!
Old 1st October 2011
  #66
Lives for gear
 
bdmctear's Avatar
 

Holy moly, Manuke! This is awesome! I love this!!!! Great feedback and atmosphere. Those are my kinda sounds for certain!

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuke View Post
Hey guys, normally do a traditional mix but thought I'd finally experiment a bit. Thanks again for the tracks.
Old 1st October 2011
  #67
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuke View Post
Hey guys, normally do a traditional mix but thought I'd finally experiment a bit. Thanks again for the tracks.
duuuuuuddddeee. This is great. Really great. How much of it is the original multitracks and how much is new? sounds like you're reusing a lot of the original track, which is awesome.

Would LOVE to post this on our blog. that cool? Either way, it's great. Would love to hear what you could do with other tracks!

PS. Note to all: We're filming the last episode of the year sat/sun. Hit us up on twitter for live updates from the session. AEA and Telefunken both sent some amazing mics. We can't wait to use them!
Old 1st October 2011
  #68
Yeh, nice. I thought when I first heard this one that it had a lot of a Mazzy Star type of song hiding in there somewhere. This is like an Electronica version of Mazzy Star in a way.
Old 1st October 2011
  #69
Gear Maniac
 
manuke's Avatar
 

Brian, thanks, never had the heart to 'butcher' one of your tracks before, glad you think it's ok.
penglish, thanks, apart from the drums it's all from the original multitracks, of course you can can put it on your blog, that'd be great. I've enabled downloads on Soundcloud. Cheers.
Thanks Dean, 'electronica Mazzy Star' sounds good to me.
Old 1st October 2011
  #70
Gear Head
 
ReZoUnD's Avatar
 

My First time doing live music as from mixing beats from Reason(SampleBase) just wanted to know if i can do it...I learned A-LOT from this, as in Pocketing From my usual Quantizing. OK, I thought it was too mundane for me so I Distorted the CRAP out of it(I'm use to Rap & Reggae) hope u like, Let me know what you think Bad R Good. Also, too the host could I use this as a "before and after" to Clients?

I Love Sound, and thats what allows me to work with anyone

Specs:
iMac 21.5
3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
8 GB 1067 MHz RAM

Alesis Master Controller(InterFace)

Software:
iZotope
MelodyneEdit
Waves, CL2, CL3, CL76, SSLGChannel,LoFi, and Aphex
SoundToys EchoBoy, Decapitator
SoftTube PuegTech EQs
DigiDesign PlugIns all of-em
BombFactorys 1176

SterioBus: BrainWorx for Mid Side EQ, Ozone4 for SterioField MultiBand Comp. Exiter and reverb on sides for space, then master track: L3 for Dither PlugIn

PRO TOOLS 9 the basics
Attached Files

Again; ReZoUnD Mix-.mp3 (3.10 MB, 113 views)

Old 4th October 2011
  #71
Here for the gear
 
Michael Ellis's Avatar
My shot at Family Band

Here's my vision of 'Again'. Thank you for making the tracks available!
Attached Files

FamilyBand-Again.mp3 (7.78 MB, 119 views)

Old 4th October 2011
  #72
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuke View Post
Brian, thanks, never had the heart to 'butcher' one of your tracks before, glad you think it's ok.
penglish, thanks, apart from the drums it's all from the original multitracks, of course you can can put it on your blog, that'd be great. I've enabled downloads on Soundcloud. Cheers.
Thanks Dean, 'electronica Mazzy Star' sounds good to me.
thanks dude! sent it over to the band. they were really into it. great work.
Old 5th October 2011
  #73
Lives for gear
 
bdmctear's Avatar
 

I am glad you're using this as an opportunity to try something new! Very cool. The mix is a little bright and sizzly for my taste. I think in these situations it would always help to use a reference mix of something else that is in the ballpark of what you are trying to do. For instance, if I were mixing Again (which I didn't, by the way... Jon Low did), I might consider finding a song with approximately the same instrumentation, same relative tempo, and sonic markers I'm aiming to replicate, etc. For instance, Greatgreatriver could've referenced the Breeders version of "Happiness is a warm gun" (from their album Pod). It was recorded and mixed by Steve Albini, I think... anyway, with that you can put the essential elements in line and be able to tell what the relative EQ and maybe mix levels should be for each instrument.

It's super helpful. This may be me stating the obvious and I apologize if I am. But I do it almost every time. In fact, I relish it. I long for opportunities to use Mazzy Star's "Fade into You", Buddy Guy's "Sweet Tea", Tom Petty's "Refugee", Stereolab's "Metronomic Underground"... all when the general sounds, arrangement and end delivery make sense for what I'm working on.

Please do more! And don't be afraid to dice it up even more. I bet you're good at that!

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReZoUnD View Post
My First time doing live music as from mixing beats from Reason(SampleBase) just wanted to know if i can do it...I learned A-LOT from this, as in Pocketing From my usual Quantizing. OK, I thought it was too mundane for me so I Distorted the CRAP out of it(I'm use to Rap & Reggae) hope u like, Let me know what you think Bad R Good. Also, too the host could I use this as a "before and after" to Clients?

I Love Sound, and thats what allows me to work with anyone

Specs:
iMac 21.5
3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
8 GB 1067 MHz RAM

Alesis Master Controller(InterFace)

Software:
iZotope
MelodyneEdit
Waves, CL2, CL3, CL76, SSLGChannel,LoFi, and Aphex
SoundToys EchoBoy, Decapitator
SoftTube PuegTech EQs
DigiDesign PlugIns all of-em
BombFactorys 1176

SterioBus: BrainWorx for Mid Side EQ, Ozone4 for SterioField MultiBand Comp. Exiter and reverb on sides for space, then master track: L3 for Dither PlugIn

PRO TOOLS 9 the basics
Old 5th October 2011
  #74
Lives for gear
 
bdmctear's Avatar
 

Hey Folks,

Check out the TECHNICAL VIDEO we've added to the original post!

Love

B
Old 5th October 2011
  #75
Gear Addict
 
robstercraw's Avatar
 

tried to get some of these tracks, but i never get the email.
Old 6th October 2011
  #76
Lives for gear
 
bdmctear's Avatar
 

Look in ye ole spam box.

(99% of the time it's there if you didn't get it).

Let me know if it's not there!

B
Quote:
Originally Posted by robstercraw View Post
tried to get some of these tracks, but i never get the email.
Old 6th October 2011
  #77
Lives for gear
 
once a roadie's Avatar
family band roadie mix

Hey - here is my mix on this one...tried to use plenty of outboard and tape echo to create a somewhat chilling feel. Not sure I got there and it was a lot of fun. Cool song. Thanks again for the opportunity to mix some nice tracks!
Attached Files
Old 6th October 2011
  #78
Lives for gear
 
once a roadie's Avatar
roadie alt

Hi - an alternate roadie mix with slightly lower drums and other things perhaps slightly up...feedback greatly appreciated!!!
Attached Files

FB_-again_OTB2.mp3 (4.09 MB, 95 views)

Old 7th October 2011
  #79
Lives for gear
 
bdmctear's Avatar
 

Hey Roadie,

I have to say, I like the first one better. I didn't mind the levels, in fact I preferred them. Particularly how effective the entrance of that tambourine was when it entered. That was lost in the second, and I thought the end backup vocals were a little disjointed and maybe distracting. I don't want to envision them as individual singers, I want them to be ghosts in the attic. That make any sense?

B
Old 7th October 2011
  #80
Lives for gear
 
greatgreatriver's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmctear View Post
Hey Folks,

Check out the TECHNICAL VIDEO we've added to the original post!

Love

B
I love it...
Old 7th October 2011
  #81
Lives for gear
 
once a roadie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmctear View Post
Hey Roadie,

I have to say, I like the first one better. I didn't mind the levels, in fact I preferred them. Particularly how effective the entrance of that tambourine was when it entered. That was lost in the second, and I thought the end backup vocals were a little disjointed and maybe distracting. I don't want to envision them as individual singers, I want them to be ghosts in the attic. That make any sense?

B
Thanks for the feedback. Listening to these today, I agree. Funny how mixing goes - confidence is so key. The second mix was a secondguess and I was not "in the mix" at that point. My goal was to crank this out from the raw tracks in 5 hours or less, which I was able to do. I feel like I got all the blocks in place and just did not have time to finess things - those backups, vocal FX, slight level adj etc. Listening today, I agree the backups are too "direct" to the ear.

Thanks again for the opportunity to mix some great sounding tracks and also for the feedback!

I think I will move on and try one of the other songs at this point!
Old 16th October 2011
  #82
Gear Head
 
ReZoUnD's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmctear View Post
I am glad you're using this as an opportunity to try something new! Very cool. The mix is a little bright and sizzly for my taste.

B
I agree with u, and i didnt use a refrence only cuz im mixing to my liking, but correct a mundo, i'm thinking of a remake once i get some free time i'll come back and post. The brightness comes from the digital world wich i'm stuck in at da moment. glad to be apart of this, Javier Gutierrez | Facebook

ps. u describe it to the "T"
Old 24th October 2011
  #83
Here for the gear
 

Hi,

first of all thanks for the opportunity in participating in this great song.

So many mixes already up here, I listened only a few by now, but will listen to more. I really liked that experimental one by manuke.

Here is my attempt. I realized its not as loud as most of the mixes that I listened too already. Its really just a mixdown with nothing on the 2bus, I also didnt "master" it, too keep it beeing really just the mix itself.

I just have renewed my setup completely, so new monitors (adam a7x), new pc, PT 9, Uads and so on, just trying them out.

Old 27th October 2011
  #84
Lives for gear
 
bugscoe's Avatar
 

Here is my mix. I intended to do a remix on this but ended up falling in love with the song which is so beautiful as is.

Old 31st October 2011
  #85
Lives for gear
 
bugscoe's Avatar
 

Soundcloud's crappy conversion really shows up on this mix so here is my mp3:
Attached Files

Again.mp3 (7.83 MB, 90 views)

Old 4th November 2011
  #86
Here for the gear
 

Here is my mix attempt, sounds alright, snare might need a brighten up, but I like my reverb and compression on the vocals, what do you guys think?

Mixed on ATH M50's in Logic Pro 9 on my MacBook Pro.

Thanks,
Mark

http://soundcloud.com/markbutlerr/fa...mix-practise-3
Old 8th November 2011
  #87
Here for the gear
 

Great song and tracks.
Attached Files

FamilyBand.mp3 (4.61 MB, 74 views)

Old 11th November 2011
  #88
Lives for gear
 
Spede's Avatar
 

Hello. I did mix out this too. I felt that many of you kept the vocal surprisingly loud in the mix. With such sparse instrumentation I think it doesn't have to be
totally above else.

Old 13th November 2011
  #89
Gear Head
 
MLAudio's Avatar
 

Kudos to Daniel Rossen for superb tracking!

Old 13th November 2011
  #90
Here for the gear
 

Great track!

Just found these tracks last night. What a beautiful song, and such a great voice. Love all the slide guitars, really creates a ethereal atmosphere. Gave a try at a mix, went for a clean, Natalie Merchant vibe. Hope you like it! Thank you so much for making the tracks available, what a fantastic way to practice my skills.
Attached Files

Again.mp3 (3.82 MB, 91 views)

Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump