The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Weathervane Multitracks - Family Band Studio Headphones
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yeah, really cool track, I love her voice. A bit noisy on the raw tracks, as you can here in my mix, but I relly love this song. Maybe the mix is a little too bassheavy but I did it this night between two sounddesign sessions, so I was really in the mood to make the bass palpable in my stomach.

Old 21st September 2011
Gear Nut

Hi!

My third and last version!

I testing volume automation and EQing of reverb!

Thanks!
Attached Files

Again 4.mp3 (7.86 MB, 92 views)

Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Did a mix of this today!
Great song and recording as usual from you guys!

Hope you like it
Attached Files

Again MortenDK Mix_01.mp3 (4.68 MB, 105 views)

Old 22nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
Another drunk jam - enjoyed this one! Good work guys. Hope you like this one.

woahhhhh, LOVE this. sharing it with the band now. they are going to flip.

can we post this on our blog? more people should hear this....
-p
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

WHOAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Greatgreatriver - you rule again! Oh my god! More of that! Thanks so much for doing this! You're having fun with this stuff, and that can be heard a mile away! It makes a point that that's a very important thing!

B

Quote:

Old 22nd September 2011
Quote:

Nice work, man. I liked that a lot.
Old 22nd September 2011
Hey, what happened to the video (he said in a whiney voice)? I like those so I was hoping it would be there to watch now.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Video and song added to original post

Just updated the original post with links to the feature video and the song.

Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by penglish View Post
woahhhhh, LOVE this. sharing it with the band now. they are going to flip.

can we post this on our blog? more people should hear this....
-p
Thanks man! Of course you can post it - I'm honored! But please call it drunk jam/mix...

The tambourine man almost fell off his share, during the recording.

THANKS GUYS!!!
Old 23rd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmctear View Post
Just updated the original post with links to the feature video and the song.
Nice video, I liked it.
Old 23rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Here's my mix. Let me know what you think.
Old 23rd September 2011
Old 24th September 2011
Here for the gear

I tried to make it airy and open, very attractive track for mixing.
Old 25th September 2011
Here for the gear

remix

Hey Brian, i've done another remix for you guys. Like the last one it's pretty dumb, and completely different from the other one i did. Like you suggested its a lot slower and a lot less dancey and probably a whole lot more 80's, but still completely different from the original. In fact i managed to make pretty much the whole track before realising i'd actually done it in a completely different key (highlighting my own musical skill) to the vocals, so that's why they're a bit shaky in places. Hopefully it still works, and i hope you guys don't think it's too terrible:

Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiggit View Post
Hey Brian, i've done another remix for you guys. Like the last one it's pretty dumb, and completely different from the other one i did. Like you suggested its a lot slower and a lot less dancey and probably a whole lot more 80's, but still completely different from the original. In fact i managed to make pretty much the whole track before realising i'd actually done it in a completely different key (highlighting my own musical skill) to the vocals, so that's why they're a bit shaky in places. Hopefully it still works, and i hope you guys don't think it's too terrible:

I think it sounds terrible man... haha! Sorry - my two cents...
Old 25th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
I think it sounds terrible man... haha! Sorry - my two cents...
Fair enough - You're probably right, i'm not very good at this
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fair enough - You're probably right, i'm not very good at this
What made you draw that conclusion?

Good is just a word to make people feel accepted in a larger than life collective.

I was just reacting to this tune - maybe you are totally bad ass on other songs?

Don't take it too far...
Old 25th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:

hahah, yeah. I won't say it totally works. but I also don't think that's the point.

I really love what you and greatgreatriver are doing here: just exploring. pushing the limits of what this song is. whether it unravels or is amazing is irrelevant to me. I'm highly entertained by your creativity and hope you continue to do this. It makes directing this series more enjoyable knowing that you guys will take our work and make it your own.

I hope to hear lots more. Even another attempt at this one would be cool. it can go in a lot of different directions!
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think we need more opinions, ha! I would be happy if I got more feedback on my music. Most of my music goes unnoticed. Keep it up people, Keep posting!
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

This is a great mix. In the lines "And you've been keeping me in the sweetest of all of your dreams" the delay echo gets screwed up by her relaxed delivery. I'd mute it on lines where it doesn't work like that. But I love it otherwise where it lines up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwaudio View Post

Here's my mix. Let me know what you think.
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

I do appreciate the adventurous approach, but you just have to make sure that things always "work". I always say that there's thousands if not millions of approaches to any one song or any moment in a song that "work". These are the various creative paths that are open in a song. But someone's gotta be there to point out what's NOT working.

So here, you have two very clear things that aren't working: 1. the key (as you pointed out) and 2. the rhythm. Both don't work, NOT because they aren't cool ideas, but because they aren't jiving with how she's delivering the vocal. If you took your mix and muted her voice and tried to sing it the way it is in this mix, you couldn't. You couldn't maintain the melody out of key, and you couldn't maintain the rhythm out of time signature. If you were rerecording the song, that might be fine - you'd adjust to something that did work... but in this case you're trying to use a set vocal performance and stay true to THAT.

That said, Penglish is right... love that you are exploring. Please do continue to do that!

Quote:

Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

I wish I could hear the first rendition again for comparison. I think I liked it better. If I remember it was a little murkier. The vocal was in it a bit. Something about that worked for me.

Quote:

Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'll do another mix. I'm busy the whole week so it might take a while. Thx for the feedback
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Spiggit man, hope we are cool... I'm going to give you constructive feedback, and hopefully I can explain myself... I'm busy right now so I'll return later with my internet manifesto.

I also have a couple of pointers that I like to try on you guys.... Hopefully we can start a debate.

Back to work!
Old 26th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmctear View Post
This is a great mix. In the lines "And you've been keeping me in the sweetest of all of your dreams" the delay echo gets screwed up by her relaxed delivery. I'd mute it on lines where it doesn't work like that. But I love it otherwise where it lines up.
Thanks a lot. I graduated from UW Oshkosh for recording just in December, and am just getting started on this whole mixing thing, so thanks for the encouragement and input.
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Here's the first mix: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3145137/familyband2.mp3

I used to mix on KRK V4's but I've changed setup to; Denon PMA-707 receiver, Sony SS-7200 speakers and Audio Pro Ace-bass sub woofer.

I picked up the sub today, it will take a while to fine tune my room.

I did a quick test tonight - It's just a test... I still like my "no-so-drunk" mix.

New setup: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3145137/fami...-subwoofer.mp3
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Nut

My Mix

Hey guys, I'll throw mine into the fire...

Any and all comments and criticism will be greatly appreciated. I'm still learning my craft and just want to get better. So be honest and let me have it!

Chris
Old 27th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hi Chris, very good mix to my ears, really like sharpens that you delivered into drums!
Cheers, Alex
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks Alex!
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Bri - long time no see!

I totally missed the boat on the Bride of Frankenstein one, so I wanted to hop on board before this went off grid.

Headphones and a laptop - timed the delays by hand, think I was off beat. Oops. Life happens. Tried a few experiments - hope it translates.
Attached Files

Shaking Through (Weiss-Mix).mp3 (8.32 MB, 89 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search