The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Feedback Wanted - Soulful House Production
Old 10th September 2011
Feedback Wanted - Soulful House Production

Hi All,

I posted here a couple of months back about a song and you guys kindly gave me loads of great feedback, I have since produced a different version.

Could you please post feedback on what you think of the track I've produced which is in the link below.

Remix Master (Deeper Mix) by DiscoOne on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I'm particularly looking for Production/Mix feedback and how you think it stands up against other productions in the Soulful/Deep House Genre if you listen to productions in that genre

Thanks for your time,
MusicSoul
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hi,

IMO, this is a great improvement. The main factor being the sparser bassline... which has now moved you away from that millennial Soulfuric sound.

The vocal now sounds much better too... I think you might have thinned it out be dropping a lot of the harmonies, and it's slightly recontextualised by the new production... so, whereas before it came off a touch cheesy, I think it now sounds much cooler.

This is now a much more serious track. Well done!
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicSoul View Post
Hi All,

I'm particularly looking for Production/Mix feedback and how you think it stands up against other productions in the Soulful/Deep House Genre if you listen to productions in that genre
Experiment a bit more with different sounding kick drums and maybe different sounding hats.
IMHO, the ones you use now sound too aggressive for this genre.
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Hi,

IMO, this is a great improvement. The main factor being the sparser bassline... which has now moved you away from that millennial Soulfuric sound.

The vocal now sounds much better too... I think you might have thinned it out be dropping a lot of the harmonies, and it's slightly recontextualised by the new production... so, whereas before it came off a touch cheesy, I think it now sounds much cooler.

This is now a much more serious track. Well done!
Cheers Simonator, I especially took your points on board last time. Yeah I prefer this version a lot more too, I really worked on softening the Vocal and stripping it back a bit to make it sound more current. I'm quite happy with the results.

I still think I need to play around with the drums a bit more, the hi hats being the main thing here as Radiance stated, though I think they can also be greatly softened in EQ.

Will probably try and find some more current sounding percussion sounds too as the ones I've used are OK...but I'm not completely convinced!

Cheers for your feedback, it's appreciated.
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiance View Post
Experiment a bit more with different sounding kick drums and maybe different sounding hats.
IMHO, the ones you use now sound too aggressive for this genre.
Yeah point taken on the hats, I have been wrestling with the idea of changing them for a while. I'm quite happy with the 808 kick though, it probably needs softening a bit more, but if I change the hats that would probably dramatically change the sound of the kick anyway.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Nut

Nice track. I like the bassline and vocal. Maybe if you rolled back the attack on the kick and hats it would soften up the drums and suit the vibe of the track more.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search