The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help! I'm drowning in mids, and the clock is ticking...
Old 8th September 2011
Question Help! I'm drowning in mids, and the clock is ticking...

So, I'm trying to finish up this song for tomorrow; it's inspired by 9/11 and I'm wanting to release in remembrance... so time is not on my side.

Anyway, the problem is, specifically, the ending. All the parts are what they need to be (IOW, I'm happy with the arrangement) but the challenge is that all the instruments (and there's lots of them) are taking up the same space. What I'm finding difficult is ripping out mids and not having things sound anemic.

5 guitar parts, 4 cello parts, bass, drums, vox, synth... kill me now. It's a very intentional "wall of sound" but I'm still feeling like things are heavy handed. I'm trying to pop things up and down with automation, but I think that frequency distribution is the enemy at this point, less so balances.

One problem is my mixing space... it's not ideal (what a surprise) so I feel like I'm guessing at things in the lower end of the spectrum more than I should have to. Problem is, there's absolutely nothing I can do about it. 300-600hz is a bitch.

Anyway, I'd love some feedback:

http://roestudios.com/dump/LowFlyingAircraft.mp3

P.S. I'm aware there is some housekeeping I've left to do (some vocal rides, align harmony fricatives with the lead vox, trim some of my tracks, etc).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search