The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix Check - lets put a fork in it! Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Mix Check - lets put a fork in it!

Ive just exported this mix and listened to it in the car today, and its sounds pretty done to me....

but i always welcome external feedback. Please let me know if this mix sounds done to you folks....or if its not, please call out what sounds wrong/off to you.

**please ignore the light distortion that happen occasionally, I boosted the mix volume pretty hard (faux-mastered) for your listening pleasure
Attached Files

Instrumental-rock-final.mp3 (8.54 MB, 124 views)

Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Bryan, the song is cool!

but I never like the way you get the guitars to sound. :\

Are you using a solid state digital/emulated amp? Because thats what it sounds like...
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

funny you mention the guitars....its something i ALWAYS struggle with.

I think its the amp im using , a 100W Tube Carvin Legacy half stack. Its the only amp i own. When I track the guitars its like so....

Guitar ---> Amp/Cab ----->SM57 1.5-in away distance, placed slightly outside where the cone and dust cap meet ------>GAP Preamp ----->RME ADA converter------>Sonar 8.5 DAW

Amp settings : Bass 4, mids 5, Highs 7, presence 7, gain 7, volume 5

**the amp has a Power attenuator, and the cab also has some thick moving blankets drapped over the the cab (but the mic is underneath)

Guitars are mixed with SSL channel EQ rolled off 120hz and below, and boosted 6k shelf by 3.5db, added LA3 compression with 3db gain reduction on average
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Its because you boost the high end. Thats why they sound off.
You get that fuzz/grain **** in your mixes by doing that.

Dont boost. Try just cutting 8-9k and up then boost the MID if ANYTHING...try to get it sounding right before you record. Don't just boost to boost.

When you boost tube amps @ I would say....5k+ they start sounding like a fuzzy solid state Digital amp almost. Idk what the sound is, but its terrible. It might not sound bad on your monitors, but it sounds terrible everywhere else.

Remember, guitars in mixes are MID friendly, not HIGH end friendly.

Who knows, I may be wrong, but thats just what I have experienced. Anyone who has more experience than me should pipe in to confirm that.

-Evan
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

I think it sounds good Brian.... the sound is just the sound of the guitar amp it appears to me. Your settings/recording chain are NOT radical enough to make the sound "bad"...

I like the sound in there, it has that Vai sound to it, which, my guess, is the reason you bought the amp correct?

If you wanted different tones, of course.... buy a few more amps
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Its not the sound of the amp. I can promise you that. Its over-Eq'd. Let me specify, I mean the LEAD guitar. The starting guitar sounds fine.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

a +3db boost with a 6k shelf doesnt seem to be "over EQ'ed" to me.

The main reason i boost in this area is because i need to get the guitars bright enough to sit cohesively in the mix with everything else. This amp is a very DARK/smooth sounding amp by nature, and very mid focused.

but yes, i agree there is alot of Fizzynesss with them in this mix.

It also could have something to do with the distortion going on in the faux-master. This is a pretty loud ass song, and i can hear the audible distortion/clipping artifacts happening almost every 20 seconds cause its louder than it should be (pushed too much limiter). Thats a possibilty of where alot of the fizzyness sound is coming from....
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan k View Post
I boosted the mix volume pretty hard (faux-mastered) for your listening pleasure
Well thats ironic as the distortion is NOT pleasurable. :P

I would just turn it down some. Anyone with an opinion worth listening to knows how to turn up their volume control. Even if this was for a client, i don't think it needs to be so loud it's distorting like that.

Anyway.. :P

I would try get more ambience into the drums.

As for the guitars, it sounds like too much gain. It also sounds like a "fuzz" type distortion. It could well be that you're at the mercy of that amp as i never tried one, but i would experiment with different gain settings. Try dialing back down to like 3 (instead of 7) to start with. Maybe you can even go lower but i realize you need a certain amount of saturation for your lead. It's also a bit scooped sounding perhaps. More mids from the amp and maybe less of everything else. I'm not usually a fan of 57's on guitar amps but that's a different discussion. I'd ditch the plugs for now until you get the source sounding a way you're happy with. Also the guitar you're using will obviously impart it's sound so don't ignore that.

Having said that after a minute of listening, the guitar sound had grown on me to where it didn't annoy me anymore. So i guess it's not THAT far off from being ok in this kinda context. :P

Good luck.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

thanks for the feedback Hook......

later tonight, im gonna upload a new version thats less 'cooked" so we can all hear the TRUE fidelity of this mix, and make a better judgment of what some of the issues are.....
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, i found out there was 2 problems causing some issues.....

1- its was over "cooked" (obviously) during mastering.
2- there was a plugin in my mix project that was causing all sorts of crackles/distortion. I took it off and it cleared up almost all issues! I guess some plugins just arent 64bit ready yet....

Heres a new version......MUCH less artifacts and should be clean and smooth now.

*on a side note, i learned that some songs you simply just cant push it loud during mastering. Some songs have a limit on how hard you can push them, and i learned this song in particular i cant push it as hard as i do on my normal faster hard rock songs. This is actually as loud as i can push it without getting any sort of random distortion. Its no where near normal current CD production volume.........strange.
Attached Files

BK-remix-mas.mp3 (8.54 MB, 73 views)

Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search