The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jimmy Eat World cover Condenser Microphones
Old 5th September 2011
Jimmy Eat World cover

My studio has been on hiatus for the last year while I've transitioned into a "real" job. Bored one day and cut this all myself. Don't make fun...I'm not a singer.

Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Dude! Excellent job!!! And don't sell yourself short on being a singer. You're a heck of a lot better than a lot of signed singers. My only bit of constructive criticism (about the vocals) would be to try to put yourself "in the moment" of the lyrics and story of the song.

I'm not sure what possessed you to do this, but it's pretty cool.
-Beaumaloe
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head
This was a lovely cover. I've always loved jimmy eats world and it's been awhile since someone's made a good cover. I'm assuming you used direct for the guitars?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

This sounds great. If your not a singer you should be.. I love it.
Old 9th September 2011
Thanks!

Guitars are not direct. They are Left and right SM57 and another Left and Right R-121 down a few DB. On the verses, the Royer guitars cut out. Leads are sm57. All guitars are Les Paul through Framus dragon top 100W head through Marshall 1960b. There's a strat through a vox ac30 mixed in only on the leads.

Bass is direct with amp sim
Old 9th September 2011
JiD
Gear Head

dude it's sounds so good imo!! this band is in my top 3 favorites bands i really like everything bout the mix and vocals aswell! thank you for the details on guitars, could you tell me why you prefered to record the guitars with two different mics and not keeping the royer one for all the guitars?

could you also give details bout the drums and vocals?

thank you!
Old 10th September 2011
Conversion: Apogee Rosetta 800, Digi 003

Drum kit: SJC
Snare: Dunnett Ti 6.5 x 14
Snare sample: same Dunnett

Drums:
Kick: D6 > Great River
Kick: slate kick4 pitched up 6 cents I think
Snare top: i5 > Classic API VP26 > API 550B > Distressor 2:1 0 attack, 0 release, no more than 4 db reduction
Snare bottom: sm57 > ART TPSII
Tom1: not played
Tom2: D4 > Toft AFC-2
Overheads: 2 x AKG 451 spaced pair, equal distant from snare, phase flipped > Classic API VP26
Room: Blue Kiwi > API 550B > Distressor

Bass:
Precision bass (mexican) with Seymour Duncan qtr lb pickups > Great River DI > Distressor > LA2A

Guitar L/R 1:
LP > Framus Dragon Top > Marshall 1960B cab > sm57 > Great River > API 550B > Distressor > LA2A

Guitar L/R 2:
LP > Framus Dragon Top > Marshall 1960B cab > R-121 > Great River > Distressor > API 550B > Distressor > LA2A

Guitar Center (leads only):
Fender Strat > Vox AC30CC2X > sm57 > Great River > 550B > Distressor > LA2A

Vox:
Me > Blue Kiwi > API 550B (flat) > Distressor > LA2A. Mix is same API 550 > Distressor > LA2A

Snare Sample: This is the same Dunnett Ti played on the track. Not going into detail about how I processed this, but it's Great River pre with some 550B and distressor, some parallel **** going on. It's attached in the 5.zip in GOG format, so enjoy!

Stems:
Attached Files

drumsnotrig.mp3 (1.13 MB, 94 views)

drumstrig.mp3 (1.13 MB, 95 views)

bass.mp3 (1.13 MB, 86 views)

guitars.mp3 (1.13 MB, 150 views)

vox.mp3 (1.03 MB, 78 views)

File Type: zip 5.zip (2.16 MB, 21 views)
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

This is really awesome man! Really really great job! Taking requests? Do Get it Faster next!
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

Hopefully your "real job" is rewarding in some way, because you're obviously a very talented musician and engineer, and it'd be a shame to let that go to waste.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search