The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Female Alternative Rock Ballad?
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Female Alternative Rock Ballad?

Heya,

Just felt like sharing a new track I produced this weekend for a local solo artist.

Enjoy
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Rain! More Indie, I would say than Alt/Rock ballad. Maybe soften it out with a little ambient reverb noise here and there to cut the linear(everything perfect) effect. Nice production, vox, instrumentation.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Heya!

Thanks for the response!

I was going for a slick track. It is a bit...perfect? Performance wise.

Anything about the mix you found that you didnt like?

-E
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Mix is fine, listening on headphones, would sound a lot different out of speakers, you wouldn't pick up on as much track separation that makes a recording sound 'tracked'. Ingredients work, song grows on you quickly enough in the second (day apart listen). i think the mix you have arranged works for the vox theme.
Old 6th September 2011
It's a cool song. I like the breakdown in the middle, and it grows nicely afterwards, and there are some nice guitar tones in there and it's hooky without losing the balls. And it pushes all the indie-pop type buttons pretty well it seems to me.

We are all so LCR'd by now that it sounds strange hearing that initial off center vibe, but I think it's good that people piss against that wind. It's hard to comment on the mix when listening back here in the bedroom, but it sounds good on the crap speakers, and that's usually a good sign. We could all come up with ways it could be different, but I'm not sure it'd be better.

I would say that it seemed a little dry at times, for my tastes anyway, particularly in the more breakdown type parts. They might use something to give them some depth?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Vocals are just right, and I really like the big fat slug of a distorto-bass sound.

Not convinced by the drums though. To be absolutely honest, it sounds like this is a slowish mid-tempo rocker to me, not a ballad. The drums sound like they're playing at half-speed to the rest of the song, and to my ears it drags. Have you thought of placing the snare on beats 2 and 4, like a conventional mid-tempo arrangement?

Or alternatively, keeping the drums at that speed, but adding double-time off-beats? The way Timbaland would, or a dubstep producer or a samba percussionist might?

See, I hear the song as more in that "anthem" kind of genre/pace, not ballad. It's like the drums think they're in "In The Air Tonight", when they're actually in, I dunno, "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" or something.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I listen it more times today... headphones, KH0300's, iphone earbuds... But the thing I can't get around is that snare sound/reverb. Snaps so hard/brutal. I would for something more deeper and less agressive so it aint eating up in the words of the singer...
Also the Gtr on the right... just a bit less high freq. But very very less...

I do like it SIR!
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Sweeeet.... I love it, congrats...

I would give the silence one or two more seconds on 2:53, and maybe some little delay to the voice there.. but just my taste.

And generally I tend to agree about a little ambient reverb in some places, but not sure about that.

For me it is a great mix, you're getting better so fast ¡¡

Congratulations again,

Martin

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search