The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Original Acoustic Song -- Tracked and mixed in six hours. Condenser Microphones
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

Original Acoustic Song -- Tracked and mixed in six hours.

We're pretty proud of what came about today. We got together to work on one song, but we decided we were a bit burnt out with it and decided to track another song my friend had been writing. Below is a URL to the audio file -- it's one of the many tracks we're going to include in our first album that we'll be putting up for sale within the next 2-3 months hopefully.

http://www.mrosenblatt.net/ss/song-for-a-friend.mp3

Any input is much appreciated.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds good to me Matt. Good vox and arrangement
Cheers
Phil
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I like it!

I would EQ the toms a bit. Think the floor tom would glue better if you made it dark and without tonal reference. Make it sound like a deep boom - remove all unnecessary tonal information from the toms. I think it would help the song. I don't want to think about the drum tuning while I'm listening to the song.

Hope you understand what I mean -
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

+1 to ggr's tom suggestion.

I think the guitars sound great up until about the little interlude. The left guitar is a little too load for my taste, and might be hitting the comp a little to hard.

I love your voice. You sing with a lot of emotion.

Hope this helps
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by npulsipher View Post
+1 to ggr's tom suggestion.

I think the guitars sound great up until about the little interlude. The left guitar is a little too load for my taste, and might be hitting the comp a little to hard.

I love your voice. You sing with a lot of emotion.

Hope this helps
It's not my voice, it's my friend Mikes. I ran him through an LA610, but I barely had any compression on at all. I'll take another listen -- we have a distortion plugin active on one of the AUX busses, so maybe that's what you're hearing. There are times where it feels a bit too strong, but it does help out. It sounds a million times different flat.

What surprises me is that I used NO EQ at all.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nice spacious recording, Dylan'esque, good show!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Vocals and guitars sound great. Actually, on the opening chord I thought the acoustic guitar was a bit too bright, but it's not, it's fine.

The intro goes on WAY too long. I started to think it was an instrumental. I like the big boomy toms, they sound very cool, but I agree with the poster above, I'm not sure I really need the different tones. If you're going to do that, then make more of it, make it a feature, don't just do it the once. But I'd stick to just the one tom.

The kick and snare sound a bit inconsequential, like the drummer couldn't decide whether to commit to wholly drumming on the song. The kick drum sounds a bit too tight, could actually be a bit flabbier. Snare could really do with some reverb. I might actually dispense with the kick altogether and just use that tom and a snare.

I can imagine some simple tambourine shakes working very well in there. Make it sound quite ritualistic/folky using that big ol' tom: booom/shing/booom/shing.

there's a really unfortunate bit where it sounds like the singer's singing about "taking ****s in tiny spaces". not a pleasant image! Im assuming that's a mishearing... Spot-on vocal take though. What's the mic?
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymilton View Post
there's a really unfortunate bit where it sounds like the singer's singing about "taking ****s in tiny spaces". not a pleasant image! Im assuming that's a mishearing... Spot-on vocal take though. What's the mic?
You heard the line properly -- Mike wrote the song about a good friend he lost to a drug overdose.

The mic is an MXL Genesis V1 going through an LA610.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search