The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for some feedback!!! Condenser Microphones
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

Looking for some feedback!!!

Hi guys & gals,

So this is my first "real" attempt at recording my band (in reality this is my 4th attempt, the other 3 really don't count). I'm really new to the whole world of recording, mixing and so forth. I'm looking to get some honest feedback from the GS community. I'm not trying to do this professional, but at the same time don't want it to sound like crap! Any and all feedback is welcomed.

List of gear used:
windows xp
m-audio profire 2626
Adobe Audition 3.0
(2) SM57's
(1) sure beta 58 (mic **** the bed half way through the recording, low end was so fuzzy and distorted. took a lot of eq'ing to get it to sound ok.
(1) rode NT1a
(1) AKG 200

all 3 tracks mixed using sony MDR-7506 headphone.

track 1 "no fun at all"
broadcaster - No fun at all (the down) by **** wolf on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

track 2 "there you go again"
There you go again by **** wolf on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

track 3 "tiger tested"
Tiger tested by **** wolf on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Thanks!
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

hello??? anybody?
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

The first track (No Fun At All) really does you no favours at all. Shift the order on your soundcloud, because the other two tracks are SO much better mixed.

The drums and bass on There You Go Again and Tiger Tested sound pretty cool. In comparison to these two, No Fun At All sounds like unmixed stems, or a (very) rough mix.

Whatever it is you're doing on those 2, do it to the first one.

That said, I don't think the way you pan vocals really works. Every time you have two vocal parts panned strangely, so it sounds like some kind of ping-pong is going on: it really undermines the songs. Try taking out the 2nd vocal part, and just having 1 strong vocal dead-centre.

Or, if you must have two, think of one as being "the double track", of secondary importance. Put it further back in the mix. The vocals are really lacking in clarity - I know they're quite shouty, but still. Try making them a bit drier, see what happens.

Guitars are verging on the boxy/muddy at times. They sound pretty bad in No Fun at All, they sound OK on the other other tracks, but they could be better. The other tracks, you've got some interesting guitar treatments/reverbs, so you can kind of get away with it, but they do sound a bit 'demo-ish' in general. A/B them to some recordings you really rate (if you're not already doing so).

Interesting stuff though, reminds me of 90s post-hardcore stuff like Girls Against Boys but with unlikely Stones and Neil Young influences!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I enjoyed it! Maybe dip 200hz and tame down the high-end on the guitars. Keep it fun and don't worry. I'm sure it will sound better in the future. I can live with your mix. I liked number two!
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymilton View Post
The first track (No Fun At All) really does you no favours at all. Shift the order on your soundcloud, because the other two tracks are SO much better mixed.

The drums and bass on There You Go Again and Tiger Tested sound pretty cool. In comparison to these two, No Fun At All sounds like unmixed stems, or a (very) rough mix.

Whatever it is you're doing on those 2, do it to the first one.

That said, I don't think the way you pan vocals really works. Every time you have two vocal parts panned strangely, so it sounds like some kind of ping-pong is going on: it really undermines the songs. Try taking out the 2nd vocal part, and just having 1 strong vocal dead-centre.

Or, if you must have two, think of one as being "the double track", of secondary importance. Put it further back in the mix. The vocals are really lacking in clarity - I know they're quite shouty, but still. Try making them a bit drier, see what happens.

Guitars are verging on the boxy/muddy at times. They sound pretty bad in No Fun at All, they sound OK on the other other tracks, but they could be better. The other tracks, you've got some interesting guitar treatments/reverbs, so you can kind of get away with it, but they do sound a bit 'demo-ish' in general. A/B them to some recordings you really rate (if you're not already doing so).

Interesting stuff though, reminds me of 90s post-hardcore stuff like Girls Against Boys but with unlikely Stones and Neil Young influences!

Thanks for the feedback!

vocals:
I was panning vocals 50% left & right. is this a bad idea? I'll try panning the vocals in center with one mixed louder than the other. Also, I'm having some trouble getting the vocals to sound/sit right in the mix. any suggestions on how to record them? right now i'm using the rode nt1a for the vocals. and i put just a touch of reverb on them during post production.

guitars:
do you think the way the guitars were recorded OR the mix that make them sound boxy/muddy/demo-ishey? I recorded the guitars using the rode nt1a about 3inches from the speaker (center line of the speaker and slight off to the right) and a sm57 at a 45 degree angle to the rode.

again, thanks for checking out the tunes and if you got anymore input, i'm all ears!

OH and you're pretty dead on with description of the band. we're huge Neil Young fans (as well as the stones, big star, james gang, etc...) as well as early 90's indie rock.
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
I enjoyed it! Maybe dip 200hz and tame down the high-end on the guitars. Keep it fun and don't worry. I'm sure it will sound better in the future. I can live with your mix. I liked number two!
Thanks!

any thoughts on what i should do to tame the high end on the guitars? is it the mixing/eq'ing? or the way the guitars were recorded (see my post above).

and thanks for the advice, i'm having a blast working on these tunes and enjoying the learning process... SOO much to learn!!!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm never sure about recording electric guitars. I don't do it that often (I'm an acoustic/folk/jazz/classical guy, who occasionally dabbles in a bit of hip-hop/electronica stuff).

I normally just try to get what's coming out the amp as faithfully as possible. I find them a bitch to mix and EQ, and I'm gratified other people have the same problems!

How much of those guitar sounds is what you actually recorded? ie have you EQd/compressed much?

I mean, if you listen to some of the Before/After files here ("Mix Rescue" MP3s) you'll hear some really badly recorded electric guitars cleaned up and sounding very 'pro':
Mike Senior (Cambridge Music Technology)

Regarding vocals, yeah, I'd say mixing two takes of the same vocalist 50/50 is pretty unconventional. I would try to get the vocal to work in a conventional way first off - main vocal dead centre, any doubling for thickening mirroring the main vocal, syllable-for-syllable, as far as possible, and panned where it's least distracting.

I have heard a main vocal and its double panned hard left and right in busy mixes. Your brain still places the vocal fairly centrally, but there's also the space in the middle to put everything else around/in the centre too. On Bob Log III's album 'My **** is Perfect', the vocals are panned like that on a lot of tracks.

I'd leave your first track aside for a while. Finish your other two cos they're close, I just think you need to nail the vocals and guitars and then they'll be done.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

lol @ "Lil' **** Wolf Studios"
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymilton View Post
I'm never sure about recording electric guitars. I don't do it that often (I'm an acoustic/folk/jazz/classical guy, who occasionally dabbles in a bit of hip-hop/electronica stuff).

I normally just try to get what's coming out the amp as faithfully as possible. I find them a bitch to mix and EQ, and I'm gratified other people have the same problems!

How much of those guitar sounds is what you actually recorded? ie have you EQd/compressed much?

I mean, if you listen to some of the Before/After files here ("Mix Rescue" MP3s) you'll hear some really badly recorded electric guitars cleaned up and sounding very 'pro':
Mike Senior (Cambridge Music Technology)

Regarding vocals, yeah, I'd say mixing two takes of the same vocalist 50/50 is pretty unconventional. I would try to get the vocal to work in a conventional way first off - main vocal dead centre, any doubling for thickening mirroring the main vocal, syllable-for-syllable, as far as possible, and panned where it's least distracting.

I have heard a main vocal and its double panned hard left and right in busy mixes. Your brain still places the vocal fairly centrally, but there's also the space in the middle to put everything else around/in the centre too. On Bob Log III's album 'My **** is Perfect', the vocals are panned like that on a lot of tracks.

I'd leave your first track aside for a while. Finish your other two cos they're close, I just think you need to nail the vocals and guitars and then they'll be done.
Thanks again for the info! I'll re-mix the vocal tracks and see how that works out. appreciate the input.

and i've never heard of bob log, i'll have to check it out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search