The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering advice needed on this killer track! Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Mastering advice needed on this killer track!

Hey guys, I’m really hoping you can give me some help / advice on this. Below is a mixed and mastered song from a band I’m working with. Think my ears must be a bit dead from listening to it too much over the last week or so. I just can’t tell anymore if the mix is any good… and if it’s not what might it be lacking / missing

Also, I’m really trying to achieve that big full bottom end sound of most punk rock bands these days have. It’s frustrating because when I compare it to other commercial CD my mixed and mastered song is quite a bit lower in volume and lacks the ‘body’ of commercial CDs.

I’m using Ozone 3 to master and I must admit I’m a bit of a novice when it comes to engineering and mastering so I don’t know if the big bodied sound I’m looking to achieve can accomplished at the mastering stage of if I need to go back and boost or cut levels and frequencies at the mixing stage. Maybe compress things a bit more?

Really appreciate all and any advice you guys can give me on this. Before I listened to any commercial track I really like what I accomplished with this considering my experience level but I find it can be harsh when turned up so the high frequencies might need addressing I just don’t know if I should be doing this at the mixing or mastering stage.

Many thanks in advance everyone,

-Keith

HOME | Official Site 'Valentino is Dead'
Attached Files

This City Tonight edited.mp3 (2.29 MB, 179 views)

Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

The thing that hits me more than anything else: Sterile drums in a punk song. But I dig the vocals.
Old 2nd September 2011
ORC
Gear Addict

Remix
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for the feedback guys but could you be a bit more specific please. With a remix what should I be looking at? And sterile - not sure I understand what you mean?

Thanks a million for any help,

-Keith
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Would it be worth your money to find a mastering engineer who has worked on albums you are trying to sound like and paying them for an actual consultation? It would be worth a shot to even ask if you could sit and listen to an A/B and explanation of what they did and why they did it (even though it might cost extra in some cases).

Yes it would cost you money, but building a relationship with someone who knows their craft and learning while you do it is worth every penny.
Old 2nd September 2011
If you're gonna drop some dough, I think you'd get a lot more mileage out of a remix than you would "consulting" or even hiring a mastering engineer. Even the best ME in the business can only take that mix so far. It's just missing any element of excitement, pump, or balls. Mastering can't realy do a heckuva lot to make those things happen.

Good luck
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

It's very dry and top-ended. It also doesn't have much energy, like the band is more worried about playing it right than giving a compelling performance.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

keith, its lacking any grit or depth thats needed to lift this kinda sound. at the moment, it's leaning towards a pop production (the script etc). it needs to go in a different direction IMO.

it needs beefing up all over to get it to the kinda place i think you want it to go.

if you're looking into gettin the mix redone then i'd be interested, just drop me private message. im in ireland too and i can chat to you about who i've worked with over messages.
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Hey guys thanks so much for the feedback! I think what you've confirmed for me is that I'm not capable of achieving the sound I'm after with this album which, although frustrates me, also lifts a huge weight off my shoulders.... a self-imposed weight I must add.

The next thing I need to decided is if I can afford to hire someone else to mix this and if so who????? What I can expect to pay? Is there like a going rate or does it depend on the band / experience of the engineer etc?

Any recommendations on engineers who have actually working on similar projects / bands / sound? I was stung in the past by an Irish engineer who obviously wasn't familiar with the sound I was after and very reluctant to hand it over to just anybody.

Once again thanks for any help you can give me my fellow Gearslutz!

-Keith
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

just replied to your mail keith
Old 9th May 2012
Gear Head

mastering with pro tools

have 2 questions..1st in a mastering session rolling off the low end at 25hz and the high end at 18000hz will it make the music more pleasant to he ears? second i master from pro tools in 24bit 48 and use an analog compressor and reprint my track in pro tools..i use the L2 limiter at the end of the chain and dither at 16bit..when exporting my track do i dither from pro tools or by dither the L2 in 16bit my file will automatic add dithering?
Thank you
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

PM sent also Keith

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search