The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cheap demo
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Cheap demo

Hi sluts,
Finally got my small project studio up and running and am offering a "record your rehearsal" deal.
Basically we get the bands in and track them live for 3 hours. I then spend 2 hours mixing, throw a ozone preset over it, and that is what they get
Anyway, have a listen and fire all guns blazing.
I'm self taught and need criticism from some pro's.
This was our first band, they paid $150 and got 4 songs!
Cheers
Matt
I don't want to be by Sanctum Studios on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

I feel sorry for these guys.
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

That bad?
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Matter of where are you from.

This is very listenable, sounds very natural, garage-type, so its good.
But now is 2011th, so track needs general improvements.

You've done a good job, just try to make records sound newer.
Cheerz, John.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

I think it sounds awesome. Really big sound. I can't seem to get that kind of sound so kudos. I think it sounds a lot better than a lot of stuff. Really full stereo spectrum as well. Only reason it doesn't sound like modern releases is because of all of the reverb. I dig the sound, however.

How could you possibly feel bad for these guys when they payed $150? Sounds much better than 150.

Don't make records sound new, make them sound good. Unless that's what they ask. In that case - less reverb heh. I think it sounds great.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Loon, in place where I live its possible to have better records for 150$.
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks so much for your input.
I guess such different responses really shows mixing is a thing of personal preference, just as writing music gels with some and not others.
My thoughts on this mix are that it sounds a bit squashed and doesn't breath, I put this down to recording all the music in one room and just throwing a mastering preset over the top just to lift the loudness and give it some sparkle. And yeah definitely too much reverb
I'm not quite sure what you mean by new but I'm glad that it sounds old because the band are mostly guys from the 70's and 80's Australian rock scene and I think they would appreciate a "old sound".
Any way I'm not planning on revisiting this mix and really look forward to the next session. Its so much more fun than being a electrician!!
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

Oh, I said "Don't make records sound new" in response to The J's "just try to make records sound newer". By new we (I?) just mean a similar sounding mix to most other new records these days. Reverb isn't used as heavily as it used to be, which is what I think we are referring to as the 'old(er)' sound.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds OK to me, kind of Stone Temple Pilots. Good job
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
Sounds OK to me, kind of Stone Temple Pilots. Good job
Ha ha yeah, that intro riff is very vasoline!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search