The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Check out this recording. I pay 60 an hr for this quality.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Check out this recording. I pay 60 an hr for this quality.

Ron Slaton- Somewhere In The Crowd (Feat. Lauren Hart) - YouTube

What do you think of the quality for the price? What do you think of the song? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Old 1st September 2011
Sounds good and worth the $.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

Sounds good to me. Do you like it?
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Do you want real feedback?

The guitar recording is poor and the vocal lacks clarity.

It does not sound like a real record to me at all. The smashed/loudness compensates for the muddy quality. The space could be better and the reverb as well.

For 60 bucks an hour? Its fine.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru

l like the song and the singer

I don't care for the mix.

It's hard to put my finger on it, but I would say there is some kind of disconnect between the band and the singer, they don't seem to be in the same space - it gives it a 'karaoke'. kind of feeling.

like the entire band is one 'premixed' element, and the vocal another.

The mix seems kind of static. For example, at 1:24 where the vocal lays out - why doesn't some identifiable line or part come up there?
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emwolb View Post

For 60 bucks an hour? Its fine.
Agree.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

............hi Ron.......mix isn't great but i think a few things would help connect the singer to the track, it sounds a bit like the song began life as an accoustc track and then had stuff overlaid, which can be fine sometmes but there seems to be a disconnect between the "band" and singer particularly in the choruses, where she still sounds lke she's singing at mf rather than full out, typically some delays and a larger "hall" verb would help here but I think in this case a retrack of the vocal n the chorus would help........drums are horrible. Song is good so might b worth doing
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

60$/hour - its perfect.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

er, it feels slightly ridiculous to me talking about music in this way.

I mean, "$60 an hour" means that if something takes just an hour it costs $60. But if it takes a week it costs $2400. To state the obvious. How long did it take The 60 Dollars An Hour Man to do whatever he did?

But irrespective of any of that, it sounds like a professional mix highly suited to the genre and the song.

I can't imagine that any hypothetical superior mix would make this song any more or less likely to achieve the ambitions and desires of its creators.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I have to agree with most of what joeq, Emwolb and butterfly has stated: Good song, but the mix isn't there. The vocals do seem very disconnected from the rest of the track. There seems to be an overall lack of definition in the track and it feels like some elements are really fighting for space. I too don't think the drums or guitars sound very well-recorded.

I gotta disagree with binarymilton that this sounds like a pro job. The mix doesn't serve the song well enough for my tastes. Depending on how the raw tracks sounded that this mix was built with (which is very often the make-or-break factor), this mix could definitely be taken further.

(I always feel like a complete ass when giving an opinion like this, so please know that I mean no offense. )
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks for the feedback guys. I do see what you are saying about the vocal being too disconnected from the track. She was a work for hire and I think she could have done a better job learning the song before coming to the studio. It took about $12-1300 to record this.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
at 1:24 where the vocal lays out - why doesn't some identifiable line or part come up there?
Yeah, and there's a fade-edit just before there that really sticks out to me.

At 2:22 before it kicks into the 2nd chorus, there is a guitar delay tap that messes with the flow imo because it's not quite "in time".

There are multiple sibilant places as well that could just use a little volume dip. It sounds like some of them have been dealt with already, but with deessing that could be better.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronslaton View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I do see what you are saying about the vocal being too disconnected from the track. She was a work for hire and I think she could have done a better job learning the song before coming to the studio. It took about $12-1300 to record this.

why?
do you love it that much?
do you think you can sell it for a profit??
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
She was a work for hire and I think she could have done a better job learning the song before coming to the studio.
i dont have a prob with the song at all... but it kills me when i see rappers AND singers, in the booth reading their vocals off their phone, or from a notepad... alot of feeling and emotion is lost when u dont just rehearse and memorize the song completely, weeks b4 u record... i can understand a few lines, but i see people do whole songs this way, and are satisfied with the results.. i hate doin it this way.

da relic
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
as butterfly said, it sounds laid-back as if she sang to just the acoustic guitar before all those tracks were even on there. With a great big chorus like that, you want the vocal to sound like she is working to be heard over the band. Succeeding of course, but requiring some effort, some belting.

I can deal with a session player who doesn't know the song, but you have to get out the whip. The producer's job is to make the singer punch the part again if she hasn't learned it well enough to sound convincing. You may have to take it line-by-line, but by the 3rd or 4th punch, they know that line.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

It sounds good to me and it fits the song.
If the singer only red the lyrics while she was recording and didn't practice nobody can blame the mixer for it in my opinion...
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

There is an error/blip at :47 with the vocals.

There is a wrong vocal note at :51.

There is an extra guitar note at 2:22.

At 3:23 there is a synth string part that randomly just cuts out early, then comes back in.

The guitars are buried in the mix and there is no separation really as a whole.

I like the guitar at 2:58. Thats how I feel the rest of the guitars should sound.

That was a one time listening through critique but those were noticeable mistakes I heard in the mix.

http://www.Soundcloud.com/EvanCottrell

I charge $150-250 for full production. Next time hit me up and I'll help ya out!

Pretty song sir! Nice writing
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARStudios View Post
There is an error/blip at :47 with the vocals.

There is a wrong vocal note at :51.

There is an extra guitar note at 2:22.

At 3:23 there is a synth string part that randomly just cuts out early, then comes back in.

The guitars are buried in the mix and there is no separation really as a whole.

I like the guitar at 2:58. Thats how I feel the rest of the guitars should sound.

That was a one time listening through critique but those were noticeable mistakes I heard in the mix.

Producer Evan Cottrell's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I charge $150-250 for full production. Next time hit me up and I'll help ya out!

Pretty song sir! Nice writing
+1 SPOT on
Old 8th September 2011
Next time you want a great mix done, post in the forum and I'm sure many of us mixing engineers would love to take a crack at one of your songs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search