The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What the hell is up with my drums?!?
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Head

What the hell is up with my drums?!?

hey everybody, first post here. I saw the RJD2 q&a article and had to join. Now, I've been getting really frustrated with this beat Ive been working on. For some reason, the drums just sound off to me. Ive redone then a hundred times, and Im pretty sure its not the sample. Any tips on getting these to sound tighter?

-please bear in mind, I'm new to this whole thing and this is a work in progress. Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section, a stupid question etc.

Old 31st August 2011
Gear Head

Sounds like you quantized them but whatever program you were using didnt line up every note to where it should really be. Go back in and move them in the piano roll by hand, or re-record the MIDI and try to play more accurately. Quantizing is not magic, you need to be pretty close on the actual timing for it to work properly.
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Nut

Just a matter of sample selection. Drums sounded a little big and didn't quite fit the rest of the track. For MY taste at least... I'd go with something less prominent as far as the snare. Maybe a sidestick or a rim shot. Or if you're not feeling those just pull the level of your snare down a few dbs... Idk
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Maniac

Quantize!
otherwise - everything is kinda ok. Mb compress a lil bit harder.
Old 31st August 2011

The reverb on the shaker is louder than the snare drum!

Also, The groove is a bit straight.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

I agree about the drums being too big, sounds like that would help a lot. Thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search