The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Weathervane Multitracks - Sweet Lights Condenser Microphones
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

Weathervane Multitracks - Sweet Lights

Hi folks,

New Shaking Through. This time it's a band called Sweet Lights, and the extra double secret curator was .... (drum roll) ..... ME! Weathervane and WXPN are committed to featuring 3 Philadelphia artists per year, and since I haven't helped pick since January 2010 (ehem.... Sharon Van Etten), our gracious selection committee asked me to give it another whack! Sweet Lights is the work of one very brilliant songwriter, performer and artist, Mr. Shai Halperin. The song we recorded is called "You Let Me Down".

The feature videos and MP3 don't officially come out til Tuesday August 16, but like June's Dreamers of the Ghetto episode, we are sharing the raw tracks BEFORE we put up OUR final mix and mix-stems. … So here it is again... go for it! Make your mixes uninfluenced by what we do. It worked great last time! (Again, I’ll update this thread with the final mix, mix stems and feature video links when we release them in ten days.) For now, check out this quick video excerpt of some Travelling Willburys-esque acoustic guitars.

Again, thanks to Telefunken, we all had the incredible experience of being able to choose from almost their whole line of microphones, as well as a D.W. Fearn VT2 and VT7. When it came to vocals and acoustic guitars we used U47 through the Fearn pre and compressor. Dear God, what an experience! And as always, thanks to Scott Wilson from Scratch Studio in NY for hosting the files again.... Scott, we expect you to say NO at some point! Your kindness is greatly appreciated!

Shaking Through: Sweet Lights - You Let Me Down

MULTI-TRACKS + MIX-STEMS | TRACK SHEETS | GUITAR TAKE VIDEO | FEATURE VIDEO

(NOTE: ALL TRACKS SHOULD BE EXACTLY THE SAME LENGTH. If a stray oddball makes it in there, please disregard! And Warning: These are VERY LARGE FILES)

Shai, Sweet Lights by wvmusic, on Flickr
Old 6th August 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks Brian! I always love checking these out, mixing them and comparing your raw tracks to mine.

It does seem that the video is password-protected though...
Old 6th August 2011
Gear Addict

Nevermind! Password hacked! The big secret is.....

sweetlights
Old 6th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Good grief Brian, this mix'll take me a month! So......many.....bits.
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuke View Post
Good grief Brian, this mix'll take me a month! So......many.....bits.
Consider it a giant puzzle! Yes, it is ambitious.... One of Jon's and my best recordings ever, for sure, though. I can't wait to show the mix!

Thanks for the heads up, Captainate! Uh oh, you figured out our system! It's like Mel Brookes' luggage lock combination in Space Balls! ... How'd you figure it out?
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

Awesome thanks for doing this! I totally loved Port St Willow - Private Studio Concert.

You guys rock and I want to hug you deep and wild!
Old 7th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
Awesome thanks for doing this! I totally loved Port St Willow - Private Studio Concert.

You guys rock and I want to hug you deep and wild!
The feeling is mutual, Greatgreatriver.
Old 8th August 2011
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

Old 8th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
That's a beautiful song - weird modern/retro vibe going on. Love the backward stuff and the synths. Perfect blend!

I haven't heard the raw tracks yet -

Wow guys! Dig the mix to...
The raw tracks were a little weird at first, but I just let the vocals "do all the talking". The vocals basically dictated for me where the entire mix wanted to go.
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by japancakes View Post
The raw tracks were a little weird at first, but I just let the vocals "do all the talking". The vocals basically dictated for me where the entire mix wanted to go.
Thanks man!
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

Awesome! I'm glad you're digging it. You're right, it's really tough to ascertain what is going on until you let the lead vocal direct you! I can't wait to see what people do with this. Lots of crazy potential here!
Old 8th August 2011
Gear maniac

It was definitely some fun mixing this track.
Old 8th August 2011
Gear addict

THANKS BRYAN!

Here is a mix i am working on at the moment its still early days, but great recording, I can hear it finished in my head, and wow.

Lemme know what you think, lots of automation/levelling still to do to allow the track to breath at the right moments, but the basic idea is coming along. and there is a buildup of low mid-low that i need to address, but without monitors its pretty hard

Also, its an excuse to trial LCR mixing.
Attached Files

Lights Temp.mp3 (8.35 MB, 381 views)

Old 8th August 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlouch View Post
THANKS BRYAN!

Here is a mix i am working on at the moment its still early days, but great recording, I can hear it finished in my head, and wow.

Lemme know what you think, lots of automation/levelling still to do to allow the track to breath at the right moments, but the basic idea is coming along. and there is a buildup of low mid-low that i need to address, but without monitors its pretty hard

Also, its an excuse to trial LCR mixing.
I think you've got something wrong with the tempo of the track? Mine is a lot slower... and im mixing in 48000 sample rate... :-)

Or it could be my setup?? anyone?? :-)
Old 8th August 2011
Gear addict

I am at 48k too......I noticed yours was slower so double checked mine, one of them is "wrong"
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

raw tracks are 44/16 lads. you're mixing at wrong tempo
Old 9th August 2011
Gear addict

I tell a lie, i wasn't at 48k. What I posted sounds good to me, either i am playing it back slower on my system so it sounds right, or its just right. :S

I have been fiddling a little more, does this sound right tempo to you? It sounds good to me, something is going wrong somewhere.

Link to .wav http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GGQ99EWC
Attached Files

Lights II.mp3 (8.35 MB, 194 views)

Old 9th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Still faster than the original tempo. Japancakes' mix is right. Starts at around 106bpm.
Old 9th August 2011
Gear addict

****e, how do I rectify this without having to redo it? Is that possible?
Old 10th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
I figured all DAWs matched the sample rate of the audio to the session when importing!
Old 10th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmctear View Post
Consider it a giant puzzle! Yes, it is ambitious.... One of Jon's and my best recordings ever, for sure, though. I can't wait to show the mix!
I shoulda stuck a smiley after my last comment. " so many bits" is actually my idea of heaven. [And only took four days rather than a month.]
imho def your best recording so far, really great quality, push the faders up and this tune could mix itself, well played, recorded and arranged, makes life easy. But I had to go and butcher it of course......
Attached Files

sweetlights_eq.mp3 (5.69 MB, 212 views)

Old 10th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Just try detuning and/or stretching your master track to the correct pitch and tempo. Quality might suffer but worth a go.
Old 12th August 2011
Gear Head

The best so far!!!

I must say, that this is the best recording so far from you! Got some lullaby thing over it. SWEET - in every sense of the word!!!

Heres my take. I think i missed some of the tracks, that my computer of some reason diddn't wanna convert... Anywho, here is my mix :-)

Sweet Lights - you let me down by E.Brandt on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

And thanks again!!!

There is a gate miss on the snare, opening without a hit, once in the last part of the song, I will fix that later :-)

/Brandt
Old 12th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bizzle View Post
I must say, that this is the best recording so far from you! Got some lullaby thing over it. SWEET - in every sense of the word!!!

Heres my take. I think i missed some of the tracks, that my computer of some reason diddn't wanna convert... Anywho, here is my mix :-)

Sweet Lights - you let me down by E.Brandt on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

And thanks again!!!

There is a gate miss on the snare, opening without a hit, once in the last part of the song, I will fix that later :-)

/Brandt
Your whole mix is crazy distorted from limiting. The track doesn't need to be at these levels AT ALL!
Old 12th August 2011
Gear Head

Old 13th August 2011
Gear nut

Here's my mix: http://csorfab.uw.hu/mix.mp3

I didn't feel necessary to dig in to the very depths of the raw tracks, since they were very well arranged and tracked, took 3-4 hours at most, and very little automation.

Also, it seems like I was the only one, who liked the sound of the drum machine dry (i only did some high shelfing on the snare sample)
Old 13th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by csorfab View Post
Here's my mix: http://csorfab.uw.hu/mix.mp3

I didn't feel necessary to dig in to the very depths of the raw tracks, since they were very well arranged and tracked, took 3-4 hours at most, and very little automation.

Also, it seems like I was the only one, who liked the sound of the drum machine dry (i only did some high shelfing on the snare sample)
I dig your mix sir! I'm a bit drunk now and damn this song is great -
Old 14th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by csorfab View Post

Also, it seems like I was the only one, who liked the sound of the drum machine dry
um.....

Looks like I'm the only one who thought the track was way too long though ;-)

But, really great mix you've done, nice one. 3-4 hours? How do you do that?
Old 14th August 2011
Gear interested

Brian,

Thanks a lot for letting us in on this. I really like your whole idea of allowing people into the studio process.

Here is my mix

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14176541/ylmd.mp3

I look forward to hearing how you and the artist interepreted the track.

Ken
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search