The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Opinions wanted on my video (Sonar/Vegas home studio)
Old 30th May 2011
Lives for gear
Opinions wanted on my video (Sonar/Vegas home studio)

Check out my first music video I put together with Sony Vegas home studio HD platinum and Sonar Home Studio 7.

I'd like some opinions.
Old 30th May 2011
Gear Head

Parts are good, but the parts with pictures looks like it's been done on windows media player.

Mike
Old 30th May 2011
Lives for gear

I liked it. Rock on dude
Old 30th May 2011
Lives for gear

the slomos of stick breaking and strings vibrating are quite good.
Old 31st May 2011
Lives for gear

I like the overall flow of the editing and pacing, as well as the effects.

However, I would encourage you to get a little more creative in your lighting when doing the filming.

Also, did you do this with a DSLR?
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedunn211290 View Post
Parts are good, but the parts with pictures looks like it's been done on windows media player.

Mike
It looked better in my head than it came out. I'll pull em.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I like the overall flow of the editing and pacing, as well as the effects.

However, I would encourage you to get a little more creative in your lighting when doing the filming.

Also, did you do this with a DSLR?
I used some $2000 entry level HD handheld for the moving shots, and a dedicated high speed HD digital camera for the fixed tripod shots. (both camera were borrowed)

I thought we did good with the lights. Using shadows, over exposed areas, perfectly exposed shots etc. Most of the time was positioning the lights etc. If you notice, some times you can see the whole of the shot, other times you can only see darkness in the background and the subject.

Do you mean light shows? I wanted to keep it gritty.
Old 1st June 2011
Mostly, I thought it was pretty good.
  • lighting and cinemaphotography were mostly quite good
  • editing execution was mostly quite good
  • slo mo FX were good -- but there was too much of them (too much hair-whipping, for sure) -- in fact, I would have been more comfortable with more straight performance -- if the music is good, it'll entertain folks. If not, all the flashy FX in the world won't help -- trust the music... ps... if you're going for the slo mo cymbal ending, I wouldn't give it away early on in the vid... OK to have a few cutaways to the cymbal oscillating in slo mo but don't linger on it, at least not until the end...
  • inserted stills did not work for me at all
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

The Song
  • Nice musicianship, impressive!
  • I liked the song overall (mix, parts, style, sound etc), well done.
The video
  • I didn't like almost any of the video, I suspect you guys are new to the video thing
  • You need a more interesting background if you are going to only show the band. It's cliche but you might want to consider an abaondoned warehouse etc....or something like that because right now it sort of looks like it was shot in your mom's basement.
  • I think it would also be more interesting to have different types of shots of the band i.e. shot low pointing up, shot high pointing down, camera circling the band etc....
  • Get rid of that circle frame
  • Your best bet is to find some elements in other videos you like and mimick them. It's no different than first learning how to play. It takes time to develop your own style so you usually start by mimicking the greats.
  • You might also want to consider contacting a college in your area with a strong audio/visual program and see if there is someone on the video side who might want to direct and produce the video for you

This is what bands have to do nowdays to compete, you essentially have to do everything yourself. I admire your drive and your willingness to put yourself out there, it's the right attitude to have if you want to suceed!!! Good Luck
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
[*]You need a more interesting background if you are going to only show the band. It's cliche but you might want to consider an abaondoned warehouse etc....or something like that because right now it sort of looks like it was shot in your mom's basement.
An abandoned warehouse? Are you trolling me?

An abandoned warehouse? We actually mentioned that taking the piss. Like, an abandoned warehouse, with like clips to a kid lying in bed staring at the ceiling, turning his ipod up to down out his parents fighting. like

Abandoned warehouse is the...THE most clichéd metal video of all time.

I rented a guy to help with the camera work/lighting who is a pro cameraman with the local news.

I wanted the surrounding to be straight up. No fancy outfits, no pretense etc. So I selected the place where I jammed the most in my life and we did it there.

If people see us live, this is what they will see. No bollocks ya know? The slo mo was to beautify it, where smelly sweaty musos etc slowed down can look graceful.

****ing abandoned warehouse.

Keep em coming guys. I need pointers. It's not a done deal yet.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Mostly, I thought it was pretty good.
  • lighting and cinemaphotography were mostly quite good
  • editing execution was mostly quite good
  • slo mo FX were good -- but there was too much of them (too much hair-whipping, for sure) -- in fact, I would have been more comfortable with more straight performance -- if the music is good, it'll entertain folks. If not, all the flashy FX in the world won't help -- trust the music... ps... if you're going for the slo mo cymbal ending, I wouldn't give it away early on in the vid... OK to have a few cutaways to the cymbal oscillating in slo mo but don't linger on it, at least not until the end...
  • inserted stills did not work for me at all
Yep. I suspected I overdid the slomo. Still will be gone.
Old 2nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefyn View Post
An abandoned warehouse? Are you trolling me?

An abandoned warehouse? We actually mentioned that taking the piss. Like, an abandoned warehouse, with like clips to a kid lying in bed staring at the ceiling, turning his ipod up to down out his parents fighting. like

Abandoned warehouse is the...THE most clichéd metal video of all time.

I rented a guy to help with the camera work/lighting who is a pro cameraman with the local news.

I wanted the surrounding to be straight up. No fancy outfits, no pretense etc. So I selected the place where I jammed the most in my life and we did it there.

If people see us live, this is what they will see. No bollocks ya know? The slo mo was to beautify it, where smelly sweaty musos etc slowed down can look graceful.

****ing abandoned warehouse.
So if I am understanding you correctly, and your not quite clear, the adandoned warehouse is out heh

I know it's cliche, much like slo mo, but almost anything is better then where you shot it. So the main point, which I guess is overshadowed by your outrage over the mere mention of an abandoned warehouse, was try shooting it somewhere different.

If you got a pro to shoot it then the main issue is probably with how you edited it. I am not a video expert either but I know what I like. Overall it just seems as if their is no direction or well thought out 'vision' (another cliche' word sorry) for the video. It just seems like a bunch of ideas thrown together.

The good news is the most important part, the music, is well done IMO.
Old 2nd June 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
So if I am understanding you correctly, and your not quite clear, the adandoned warehouse is out heh

I know it's cliche, much like slo mo, but almost anything is better then where you shot it. So the main point, which I guess is overshadowed by your outrage over the mere mention of an abandoned warehouse, was try shooting it somewhere different.

If you got a pro to shoot it then the main issue is probably with how you edited it. I am not a video expert either but I know what I like. Overall it just seems as if their is no direction or well thought out 'vision' (another cliche' word sorry) for the video. It just seems like a bunch of ideas thrown together.

The good news is the most important part, the music, is well done IMO.
Why not have it in a nice warehouse? A fully working, unabandoned warehouse?
Old 2nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
There you go, turn the metal world on it's ear, I can see the headlines now;

"Metal Band does a video in a FULLY FUNCTIONAL warehouse" heh

Reminds me of a headline that would appear on 'The Onion'

Last edited by True North; 2nd June 2011 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: add on thought :)
Old 2nd June 2011
Lives for gear

For a first video I think you did a very good job....shorter cuts in some places make it more exciting to watch...the pics should go...I think you already got that. But this is good fast paced stuff, the video should keep moving. Also, a little smoke gives this type of video a cool look. Good job overall.
L.
Old 3rd June 2011
One thing I noticed is that there are no shots of the entire band or even an entire person throughout the whole video. It seems this was shot in a very small space (basement?)... But, obviously you have the gear to make something cool happen, so just keep at it.

Also, something sounds off about the drums during the fast parts of the song... like all I can hear is kick and hihat. Then there's other parts where they sound good? I didn't pay that close attention, but I just noticed when you went into "thrash mode" they sounded fake.
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by statzern View Post
One thing I noticed is that there are no shots of the entire band or even an entire person throughout the whole video. It seems this was shot in a very small space (basement?)... But, obviously you have the gear to make something cool happen, so just keep at it.

Also, something sounds off about the drums during the fast parts of the song... like all I can hear is kick and hihat. Then there's other parts where they sound good? I didn't pay that close attention, but I just noticed when you went into "thrash mode" they sounded fake.
Drum wise it drifts between real drums (middle part) and a more industrial beat.

It hasn't been mixed/mastered yet, so there will be a touch more clarity to the drums.

Well spotted with the closeups, I was limited by the lens I had. And we didnt get enough handheld footage.

So far I will adjust the following:

No pics
Less intimate shots
Less hair (overdid the swooshing hair)
Shorter outro
Some shorter cuts

Regarding the slo motion: Did I do too much? Or was it a highlight for some people? Or shall I do faster cuts of the slo mo? (more clips, less drawn out)
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Only to add that you offer no wide angle shots revealing the overall context, the ensemble working together, or the space in which you were working. This may well have been deliberate on the part of the videographer as he was conscious that your shooting space did not offer appeal. But without context imagery, the other images which are really images of portraiture, don't mean as much.

John Caldwell
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by john caldwell View Post
Only to add that you offer no wide angle shots revealing the overall context, the ensemble working together, or the space in which you were working. This may well have been deliberate on the part of the videographer as he was conscious that your shooting space did not offer appeal. But without context imagery, the other images which are really images of portraiture, don't mean as much.

John Caldwell
You can see a flash of a full band at the end of the vid. I should use more of that footage.
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Consider using wider context-establishing shots early, so the viewer is in the right mindset as they more forward into the program.
Old 4th June 2011
Lives for gear

nice work!
Old 5th June 2011
Quote:
A high tech one... you could have the musicians mounted on Segways zooming around, playing their instruments, virtualized, on iPads mounted to the handlebars.

And all the warehouse drones are hot chicks in hot pants with New Jersey hair...

Or... maybe not. heh

Quote:
Consider using wider context-establishing shots early, so the viewer is in the right mindset as they more forward into the program.
This is often a good technique. You can also do the opposite, moving out from a very tight shot (either through a series of shots or a zoom). In essence, you want a transition for the viewer from whatever they've been looking at (on the screen or real world) or thinking about into the 'world' of the video.
Old 6th June 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Will do.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search