The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Weathervane Stems Condenser Microphones
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Weathervane Stems

Jan 21, 2011

I had the thought this morning of releasing stems for all the Weathervane Music / Shaking Through recordings this year. There could be a ton of em, if people are interested. We could possibly do raw tracks, too? I think you guys might like that. (NOTE: These are BIG FILES)

The first is a band called A Classic Education. The recording is really really great (a couple photos from the session for you down below). They are from Bologna Italy... (amazing new band... the song, Night Owl is amazing too, in my humble opinion). Do with them what you want! remix, experiment, scramble 'em up, go nuts... repost here, if you want? I don't know...

Shaking Through: A Classic Education - Night Owl
Raw Tracks-Mix Stems | Track Sheet | Drum Samples | Video

--

Added:Feb 26, 2011

The second batch of audio comes from a band called Port St. Willow. It's actually the work of multi-instumentalist, Portland OR resident Nick Principe, assisted by his old buddy, Peter Silberman who curated and produced the session. Peter is the front man and main songwriter for The Antlers, an awesome band from Brooklyn NY.

Shaking Through: Port St. Willow - Stay Even (175 bpm)
Raw Tracks-Mix Stems | Track Sheet | Video

--

Oh, I really really want to thank Scott Wilson (Gearslutz.com - View Profile: scottwilson) from Scratch Studio in NY for so generously offering to host these files for a little bit. We really don't have the means to do that ourselves, nor would we even know where to begin! Thanks, Scott!

Also thanks Joel at Ecstatic Electric (Gearslutz.com - View Profile: jomo1234) for helping us find amazing equipment (Wagners, Lucas's, Shadow Hills, Electronauts, etc) to try out in these sessions!

Let me know what you think!

Love
Brian

PS

OTHER TRACKS -
MAY 1, 2011 - HEZEKIAH JONES - BORROWED HEART
MAY 27, 2011 - BIG TROUBLES - PHANTOM

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wvmusic/5429472188/]

Last edited by bdmctear; 1st May 2011 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: Added link for new thread.
Old 21st January 2011
Gear maniac

Brian,

I always look forward to hearing the new episodes and posts from you and Weathervane Music. When I first heard about Weathervane it was when you had just finished Fishtown. I found myself very inspired by what you were doing, and the sounds you were getting. To this day, I really treasure any insight into what your process is to recording. I think you're true to the music, the people, and that gives you creative moments that make a great recording. Thank you for providing the stems!

Ryan
Old 22nd January 2011
Downloading now with my new (stike 10Mbps ) fiber connection to the internet. So much faster than my previous option (0.1Mbps (effective) satellite).

Brian, thanks for pushing the vision forward...all the way!
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks guys,

Please let me know how the download went. I know it's a big file.

Hey, if it's of any interest, I can post the track list that went into this, including what signal paths we used! Let me know and I can dig that up!
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Track Sheet / Signal Path

Old 22nd January 2011
Gear nut

Amazing quality thumbsup
Dropbox gives me an error when I try to download though. Maybe try using mediafire or other service, because dropbox is very cautious about their bandwidth usage

Releasing raw tracks would be fantastic!
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Crap... I'm such a hack.

Working on it. Will get back to you. Sorry.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioawake View Post
Amazing quality thumbsup
Dropbox gives me an error when I try to download though. Maybe try using mediafire or other service, because dropbox is very cautious about their bandwidth usage

Releasing raw tracks would be fantastic!
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

New Link

Old 22nd January 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmctear View Post
NEW link. I hope this works.

http://bit.ly/WeathervaneStems-AClassicEducation2

I'll update in the original post, too.
This one is working perfectly so far!
Thanks man

Edit:
Download went fine, all tracks are ok
Amazing vibe, Brian did a very very good job producing them
I'll post my results/explorations in a couple days
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks

Thank you, Brian....i am downloading now...

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

this is so cool! thanks, brian.
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Guru

That's so shoegazer! It sounds awesome Brian, makes me pine for 1993. thumbsup

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Space-Echo... aaaahhh, the Space Echo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
That's so shoegazer! It sounds awesome Brian, makes me pine for 1993. thumbsup

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Brian - the song sounds great! You and Jon nailed it. I'll have time later in the week - I'll play with the stems. Just to be different, I'll do it like a hyped up pop number just to put it out there.
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Downloading now, this should be fun
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Dude

Yes, raw tracks please!

Great website, good music. Glad I stumbled upon this thread
Old 24th January 2011
please upload the raw tracks!

cheers.
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

Hey folks! This'll take a little time, but I'll get them soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginaryday View Post

cheers.
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had the thought this morning of releasing stems for all the Weathervane Music / Shaking Through recordings this year. There could be a ton of em, if people are interested. We could possibly do raw tracks, too? I think you guys might like that.
i think i would give my left one to get that sharron van etten track
Old 24th January 2011
Gear maniac

Hey Brian, do you mind double checking the spreadsheet link? This one just has column and row names.
Old 24th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginaryday View Post

cheers.
no pressure...thanks!
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

It looks right to me. Look down at the bottom of the sheet and click on A Classic Education. There you'll see the tracking details! Let me know if that isn't working!

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmplisskin View Post
Hey Brian, do you mind double checking the spreadsheet link? This one just has column and row names.
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

Sharon Van Etten

All in good time! It'll definitely go up at some point, though. I just want to make sure the system works! (that is... "come up with a system")

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper View Post
i think i would give my left one to get that sharron van etten track
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

I did a quick mix with Headphones, great song, really gets in there like Radiohead songs. Congrats!
Attached Files

Nite Owl.mp3 (5.39 MB, 6828 views)

Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Checked out the session file, and the tracks sound great.

The singer has a very Stephen Malkamus style, I love it!

Out of curiosity, do you know the session BPM? Sorry if you've mentioned it earlier...
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Brian, I just watched all the videos in the series. And especially loved the behind the scenes / tech info videos. Thanks so much for doing those, they are a tremendous value to people learning, such as myself

p.s. I would love to come check out that studio sometime. I'll bring up some tasty indian from that awesome place on frankford, or some drinks from rocket cat. say the word...
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Awesome! I think you are the first! Great work. I LISTENED in headphones, just as you mixed it, and it sounds great! Definitely more of a mainstream mix... vocals up, reverbs down!

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgen View Post
I did a quick mix with Headphones, great song, really gets in there like Radiohead songs. Congrats!
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

We're not quite sure of the BPMs as the song was recorded without a click track. I don't know how you feel about that kinda thing, but for me personally, I have really been enjoying the natural feel of a good rhythm section lately. The band played the song live as a whole unit three times while we got sounds, then they split apart into drums, bass and scratch guitar/vocals for the basic and we built from there. That three times "run through" seemed to make all the difference. It put everyone into their natural band vibe, got everyone as well as the song itself to settle in, and I personally didn't think we needed a click after that.

I hear the sentiment, though... "what? remix and no tempo speed?"

Have fun with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeek View Post
Checked out the session file, and the tracks sound great.

The singer has a very Stephen Malkamus style, I love it!

Out of curiosity, do you know the session BPM? Sorry if you've mentioned it earlier...
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

enroper!

Hey, I'd be happy to show you the studio, get coffee ... wow, even Ekta! I LOVE that place! Fishtown has become filled with excellent food options particularly in the past 5 years!

You know, we could use your suggestions on the tech videos. We've been sorta feeling around in the dark this whole time and haven't had a clear sense of what is working and what is not. In fact, I think putting these stems and raw tracks up for people will help develop that conversation further. We have some awesome gear, particularly from boutiquers who sponsor Shaking Through sessions with gear. The least we could do it open up the conversation with other interested folks!

So yeah, as time goes along more feedback! And coffee or Ekta... sooner than later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper View Post
Brian, I just watched all the videos in the series. And especially loved the behind the scenes / tech info videos. Thanks so much for doing those, they are a tremendous value to people learning, such as myself

p.s. I would love to come check out that studio sometime. I'll bring up some tasty indian from that awesome place on frankford, or some drinks from rocket cat. say the word...
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
enroper!

Hey, I'd be happy to show you the studio, get coffee ... wow, even Ekta! I LOVE that place! Fishtown has become filled with excellent food options particularly in the past 5 years!

You know, we could use your suggestions on the tech videos. We've been sorta feeling around in the dark this whole time and haven't had a clear sense of what is working and what is not. In fact, I think putting these stems and raw tracks up for people will help develop that conversation further. We have some awesome gear, particularly from boutiquers who sponsor Shaking Through sessions with gear. The least we could do it open up the conversation with other interested folks!

So yeah, as time goes along more feedback! And coffee or Ekta... sooner than later!
groovy. i'll be in touch on the facebooks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search