The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for some advice on my first efforts.... Modular Synthesizers
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

Looking for some advice on my first efforts....

I've been lurking around here for a while now trying to pick up some knowledge and finally feel like I'm ready to actually post something...so here's a little song I did in a few hours the other day. It sounds "ok" to me and I'm sure it could be much better. What am I doing wrong? I'm using pretty low-end recording gear here, since I've just gotten into this sort of thing. Is there a piece of gear thats holding me back at this stage or is it technique?
Attached Files

On a Monday.mp3 (3.88 MB, 61 views)

Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh91 View Post
I've been lurking around here for a while now trying to pick up some knowledge and finally feel like I'm ready to actually post something...so here's a little song I did in a few hours the other day. It sounds "ok" to me and I'm sure it could be much better. What am I doing wrong? I'm using pretty low-end recording gear here, since I've just gotten into this sort of thing. Is there a piece of gear thats holding me back at this stage or is it technique?
I'm afraid there's a lot of work to do here. The vocals start out of tempo, and most of the time are out of key. The right guitar is also out of tempo. I could tell a thousand things more, but first things first.
Anyway, if this is your first attempt, It's very promising. My first recordings were much worse.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

Drums sound fake and I'm pretty sure that's not what you were going for. Mids are too scooped on drums and hihat. Reverb on piano should be a brighter reverb or just less maybe. Try eqing the right channel guitar differently, more high mids maybe??

Cool tune.
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Smile View Post
I'm afraid there's a lot of work to do here. The vocals start out of tempo, and most of the time are out of key. The right guitar is also out of tempo. I could tell a thousand things more, but first things first.
Anyway, if this is your first attempt, It's very promising. My first recordings were much worse.

So there are major performance issues I need to work on. I can do that, its probably because I'm not experienced at all with multitracking performances. When I've been in a real studio with a band we've always done 80-90% of the tracking live in one room so thats what I'm used to. Thanks for the encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loon View Post
Drums sound fake and I'm pretty sure that's not what you were going for. Mids are too scooped on drums and hihat. Reverb on piano should be a brighter reverb or just less maybe. Try eqing the right channel guitar differently, more high mids maybe??

Cool tune.
I brought up the mids a bit at 200 and 2k on the drums and they sound a bit better to my ears, thanks for the tip. I haven't had access to a real kit or drummer for the past month but that should change this week so I may try to redo this with the real thing. That should definitely help lose the fakeness. The piano is bothering me, I like the arrangement of it in the song, but I don't have a nice sounding real piano or samples, just the built-in garageband piano. I have some ok electric piano sounds but they just don't fit the song as well. I'll look at taking off a little reverb, but is there anything else I can do for the sound here (besides spending $$ on some samples of course)?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search