The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metal Instrumental
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Metal Instrumental

Just looking for some feedback about the mix.

Specifically loudness, EQ, reverb levels.

Gear used:

Guitar: Ibanez RGA32
Amp: Line 6 Spider IV 75
Mic: Shure SM-57
Mixer: Behringer Xenyx 1202
Interface: V-Studio 20
Drums: Yamaha DTXpress IV (built-in sounds piped through mixer)
Bass: Yamaha RBX170

http://widget.tunecore.com/swf/tc_ru...idget_id=53043

EDIT: Also, can someone tell if the skip in the song is hard audio or if the Tunecore player is messing up. Thanks

- Eric

Last edited by vierge99; 2nd January 2011 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Additional Information
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Bump.

Just lookin' for a little input. Thanks.
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

I suggest doubling the guitar and possibly adding some harmony as well as working some panning into the guitars to give it a fuller sound. Your timing is pretty off, I feel the pushing and pulling with the track, but it cleaned up a bit when the hi-hat came in. Keep a metronome on in the beginning (while tracking) so you can stay in time better while playing the guitar. Once again, work some panning in to fill up the stereo fields.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks for the input.

How would I add a harmony part to the guitar with such a high level of distortion? If you're familiar with the Line 6 amps, it's the red insane setting on the preset knob.

My first recording was true stereo with a different mic but the recording picked up too much of the picking sound.

I'll experiment again tonight. Thanks =)
Old 11th January 2011
Here for the gear

Metal Instrumental

By adding harmony I mean playing complimentary notes on a seperate track while the other guitar is playing the rhythm. For example: if you play a G major note, you could play the 3th not in the scale relative to the "G" which would be "B", or the 5th, "D". You'll have to have an understanding of musical theory.

As far as stereo, I'm more refering to doubling in the sense of track one guiar, then track a second guitar doing the same thing. Pan one left, and one right. It gives a fully sound.
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Addict

I'll try the doubling but I think adding harmony to too much of the track will change the way it sounds in a way that the guitarist isn't looking for.

Thank you for your input =)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search