The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to get pro? Saturation Plugins
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Nut

How to get pro?

Hi guys,

first of all HNY!
New year, new tracks. About to finish my new track 'The line is engaged' but I was wondering if I can get any advice to make the track really professional. I'm fine with it now, but how can I achieve that cherry on the cake? Who's giving me that polishing wax I'm looking for? Hope you can help me

The line is engaged | Sebastian Kind
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

get it mastered by a professional.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Nut

I'm doing the 'mastering' myself. But ofcourse a pro can do the job. But If I want to do it myself, any tips?

edit: this track actually is 'mastered' by me.
Old 1st January 2011
Deleted #157546
You could perhaps take a mastering course online at Berklee.

Other than that, I'm not sure where you stand as a engineer.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Nut

Talking

I'm kind of doin the same thing. All my original songs.I have been thinking of getting it mastered somewhere else because it really isn't that expensive. But I have looked into different mastering studios around San Diego and from what i can gather, they will do some multiband compression, maybe run the 2 tracks to tape, or through an emperial labs fatso jr,maybe to a dangerous 2 bus and vuala. I'm not saying that it's not a skill. I'm just saying that I would hate to send it somewhere and get it back with all of the dynamics squeezed out of my mix or not sounding how I want it to sound.So, I am thinking of running the 2 stereo tracks to a nice dual neve styled pre, on to tape. Then back in the box for some eq.And maybe limit and compress a bit. Seems like this way I could get the sound that I want, and it would give me an excuse to buy some more gear Any opinions out there. I am not trying to insult or be little any mastering engineers out there. Just trying to open my mind a bit. Maybe one day become a mastering engineer. I mean, I started buying gear because the recording engineer where we first recorded overcharged me, and it didn't even sound all that good. So i figured, with all of the money i spent i could have just as easily started my own recording studio. When i asked him his advice on the subject he looked at me and said " well, it's very expensive. Almost impossible" It's been a few years but wouldn't you know it, I have got some very classy sounding equipment. Not a lot, but a few nice pieces that make all of the difference. I have learned a lot and I am just saying that I think that doing it myself would be kind of cool. Maybe I will , maybe i won't. But Damn!!! That 2 track otari, imperial labs fatso, neve compressor, pultec eq.....They are all calling my name!
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Nut

Ok, great tips. A course is nice indeed, but also like to figure out things myself. And maybe I have to get some gear indeed. Now just working on a simple macbook without any monitors. Just Bose headphones.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Is there maybe somebody that can loop this track through some outboard gear for fun? Then we could all see if it's improving and how. Would be fun!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search