The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help Me Decide! Which Mix Is Best Between These 3? *Modern Melodic Rock* Modular Synthesizers
View Poll Results: Which Mix Sounds Best?
Mix #4
2 Votes - 33.33%
Mix #5
2 Votes - 33.33%
Mix #6
2 Votes - 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Help Me Decide! Which Mix Is Best Between These 3? *Modern Melodic Rock*

So i have been working on this song for a while, i have another thread that has some votes stating its a very good improvement from the original.

Now that my skills are getting better, I have started revising the song, here are 3 versions.

Which version is the best mix, or closest to being ready for radio?

Mix #4

This mix has alot of the 100-600 hz removed from mixdown and slightly more power on the kick, vocals are airy and breathy tho.

Mix #5

This mix has less of the 100-600hz removed, not as much taken out as mix #4, but it has a bump for the bass guitar, and vocals have been reworked slightly and volume lowered.

Mix #6

This mix has a little more 100-600hz range than mix #4, but not as much as Mix #5, tighter bass and kick, transient and power on kick slightly lower than mix #4, vocals blended slightly more, and slightly cleaner guitars.

So vote to let me know which one is best, and what else i might need to do!

thanks!

EDIT: Mix number 9 added today, fattened the drums, and blended the guitars better.
Attached Files

Mix 4.mp3 (471.5 KB, 163 views)

Mix 5.mp3 (481.2 KB, 130 views)

Mix 6.mp3 (446.4 KB, 121 views)

mix 7.mp3 (313.1 KB, 62 views)

mix 8.mp3 (313.9 KB, 79 views)

mix 9.mp3 (238.0 KB, 54 views)

mix 12.mp3 (314.7 KB, 52 views)

Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

anyone else? want lots of opinions!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

i had a few people say that 4 was what they liked, so far mixed opinions.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

i have fixed a few things in mix 6 and will reupload tonight sometime.
Old 5th January 2011
On my crappy speakers in the bedroom here, I kind of prefered 4. 5 is too crunchy and harsh in the mids for my tastes. 4 and 6 are similar, but the mroe subdued upper mids I guess in 4 worked better on these speakers, though 6 might do better on high quality speakers.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

To me, 4 sounded like a good mix but i liked how 5 sounded a bit more present. Make 4 sound more like 5 but still keep it sounding like 4!
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
On my crappy speakers in the bedroom here, I kind of prefered 4. 5 is too crunchy and harsh in the mids for my tastes. 4 and 6 are similar, but the mroe subdued upper mids I guess in 4 worked better on these speakers, though 6 might do better on high quality speakers.
cool thanks man! i kinda like 4 and 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 View Post
To me, 4 sounded like a good mix but i liked how 5 sounded a bit more present. Make 4 sound more like 5 but still keep it sounding like 4!

i will upload 2 more versions tonight so we can see which one is best.

but expand on what you were saying so i can understand a little bit better on how i can do that...lol

thanks
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Well to me,
i like the vocals louder kinda like they were on 4. But on 5, idk maybe its caus you took out less of the mids in 5, is prolly why it sounded more present to me. I like the kick being bigger and the warmth of 4. so i wouldnt take out too much of the mids. but still make it present like 5. you know?
Hey the good thing about this is that people responding are giving you their opinions based on their monitors, speakers, and headphones! this will help you
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

oh and i didnt get to listen to 6 yet but i will tommorrow and let you know how it sounds like to me
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

thanks man! i just uploaded 2 new mixes..

mix #7 is a blend between mix #4 & mix #6

mix #8 is almost the same as mix #7 just has a faster release on the low end mastering bus, so the bass guitar has more presence.
Old 5th January 2011
I just preferred the vocs in mix 4 but I'm listening on the built in speakers on my laptop. The snare on all of them sounds a bit boxy to me! Maybe it's quite dry, I really can't tell listening through these speakers
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Ok now we are talkin!
7 and 8 sound a lot better. Umm, this is what i think.. I like what you did on 8 making the release faster it sure did make a difference in the bass guitar! So from that, i would stick with 8 as the best. But for some reason i still like how the vocals sounded on 4. I like vocals being more upfront but then again, this is rock Most rock songs have the instruments louder than the vocals. But to me i like the vocals louder like they were on four. Now if you want the vocals to sit underneath the instruments more, then make your instruments more preasent like you did with a faster release on the bass guitar.
Im not a rock man but i do listen to rock when im driving and ive come to know that rock is very musical. I sometimes wonder how these engineers get their mixes to sound so good. But man, your stuff is like 93% of the way to being radio.
These mixes are good!
Ill keep giving my advise as you upload more
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok now we are talkin!
7 and 8 sound a lot better. Umm, this is what i think.. I like what you did on 8 making the release faster it sure did make a difference in the bass guitar! So from that, i would stick with 8 as the best. But for some reason i still like how the vocals sounded on 4. I like vocals being more upfront but then again, this is rock Most rock songs have the instruments louder than the vocals. But to me i like the vocals louder like they were on four. Now if you want the vocals to sit underneath the instruments more, then make your instruments more preasent like you did with a faster release on the bass guitar.
Im not a rock man but i do listen to rock when im driving and ive come to know that rock is very musical. I sometimes wonder how these engineers get their mixes to sound so good. But man, your stuff is like 93% of the way to being radio.
These mixes are good!
Ill keep giving my advise as you upload more

thanks man! i really appreciate the insight! i look forward to hearing every comment!

when i mixed down in Mix#8, i basically used a multi band comp c4, and used a 60ms release and a 1ms attack, on 120hz and below.

this way it would allow the kick to be perfect and release in time for bass guitar to come out, usually i had it at 80ms or 100ms.

is it better to make the release on the guitars faster or turn the volume up?

also my settings on the compressor for my guitars is almost always.

.273us for attack and 13ms for release. 3to1 compression. is this good?

i am so happy to see 93% on the radio ready!

anything else i can do to get it better?
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

I think 3 to 1 is preety good! That way its not getting compressed too much but still enough to where it sounds the way it should sound in a song. It also depends on the song and what style you are going for. But for more presence, ya i think 3 to 1 is good. Its all a matter of taste there are no rules, just whatever you think sounds good.
Im not really good with numbers but are you using a fast release and fast attack? If your compressors have a VU meter, set the release to where it moves smoothly but not too fast either. You want the compressor to compress nicely. Unless you are going for a more aggresive sound. But you could always try 4 to 1 and see if that makes it sound a lil better.

If the guitar is being recorded well and the player isnt jamming the hell outa it, then light compression is needed.

If i had to say anything it would be to,
make your instruments and vocals glue together but make your vocals stand out a little more. Maybe some buss compression.. or individual compression. I like the mixes the way they are but i think there needs to be a little more compression on everything and turn the vocals up just a tad.. But not so much to where the compressor starts to compress it too much.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

is mix 8 good enough or should i turn the vocals up a bit more?

the compression on all the individual tracks seems like there couldnt be much more.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Hi, i think for "modern rock" the drums need quite a bit of work. Lacking
some "weight/power/punch". Guitars are nice and crunchy, but the bass
could be a little bigger which would help the guitars seem larger too.

Guitars are pretty good right now but they're also quite loud, may not sound
so big if the balance changed some.. there's also some 'comb-filtery'
type sound on the gats that i usually attribute to 57's on gats.. not sure how
the guitars were tracked but i would try address this as there's kind of
"holes" in the sound.

You could get the mix sounding more "big modern radio rock", but i'm not
sure stylistically what format it would fit. Maybe some heavier rock type
stations, i wouldn't think commercial tho. Not a good or bad thing, just
depends on your goals.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Ide say since the guitars are a big part in the song, leave them compresssed the way they are, but maybe you can EQ the guitars and maybe boost just a tiny bit at 110 hz with a smaller Q setting. I agree that the guitars are a little bit standing out too much. But only barely. Just boost a lil at 110 hz and see if it gells together better.

Thats why earlier i said add a lil compression to gell things up some but now when i listen to it back again, its the guitars that jump out too much not the other instruments. Dont get me wrong, i think they should jump out, but blend them in a little better.
And run that track through a tape machine! lol jk

Let me know if that helps!
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Hi, i think for "modern rock" the drums need quite a bit of work. Lacking
some "weight/power/punch". Guitars are nice and crunchy, but the bass
could be a little bigger which would help the guitars seem larger too.

Guitars are pretty good right now but they're also quite loud, may not sound
so big if the balance changed some.. there's also some 'comb-filtery'
type sound on the gats that i usually attribute to 57's on gats.. not sure how
the guitars were tracked but i would try address this as there's kind of
"holes" in the sound.

You could get the mix sounding more "big modern radio rock", but i'm not
sure stylistically what format it would fit. Maybe some heavier rock type
stations, i wouldn't think commercial tho. Not a good or bad thing, just
depends on your goals.
so how do i fix the guitars and drums? as far as the comb filter i dont know what would make it sound like that.

i recorded them from a line 6 head with the exact same settings they play with LIVE, and then recorded through insert into pro tools.

but i already have alot of compression on the drums, and i am trying to make them fatter. how do make things fatter?
Quote:
Ide say since the guitars are a big part in the song, leave them compresssed the way they are, but maybe you can EQ the guitars and maybe boost just a tiny bit at 110 hz with a smaller Q setting. I agree that the guitars are a little bit standing out too much. But only barely. Just boost a lil at 110 hz and see if it gells together better.

Thats why earlier i said add a lil compression to gell things up some but now when i listen to it back again, its the guitars that jump out too much not the other instruments. Dont get me wrong, i think they should jump out, but blend them in a little better.
And run that track through a tape machine! lol jk

Let me know if that helps!

thanks man! for some reason i thought guitars were too quiet but i guess i was wrong.

so a little low end boost on the guitars? i have a high pass on them @ 110 hz, so i boosted them around 150 hz.

i guess i need to fix that, i also did a 7 db 300 hz cut on all guitars at a 2Q, and a 10 db cut @ 1khz, at around 4Q
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by craven View Post
i recorded them from a line 6 head with the exact same settings they play with LIVE, and then recorded through insert into pro tools.
Unless the guitarist is very experienced, with most likely studio experience,
the settings used live doesn't mean squat in the studio. Work the
amp/guitar/room/player/pick/everything so HIS tone translates well in the
studio environment. You don't have to "ruin his sound", just make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craven View Post
but i already have alot of compression on the drums, and i am trying to make them fatter. how do make things fatter?
Probably use less compression to start with.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

I think the volume of the guitars are fine. just boost the lows a lil bit. 110 hz was just a guess but mess around with it.
Ya that was good that you cut out the low mids at 300 hz and the Q setting was good. I havent really had too much experience with 1k but i do know that 3k is the "crunch area".. meaning that if you took out 10db at 1k, you might have also removed some of 3k which would make your guitars less cruchy. But since you said you used a Q setting of 4, it shouldnt have changed too much.

Again, this is just my perspective.
I think whatever it is that your doing is nice!
Do you have a deadline for this track to be finished? If not, i would not rush anything. Make it perfect! When its complete it will make your eardrums feel as if they are on clouds lol

Ill listen to 8 again tomorrow caus i know that a song may sound different the next day for some reason i guess its just my ears
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unless the guitarist is very experienced, with most likely studio experience,
the settings used live doesn't mean squat in the studio. Work the
amp/guitar/room/player/pick/everything so HIS tone translates well in the
studio environment. You don't have to "ruin his sound", just make it work.

Probably use less compression to start with.
i will play with the drums again, and check things over.

Quote:
I think the volume of the guitars are fine. just boost the lows a lil bit. 110 hz was just a guess but mess around with it.
Ya that was good that you cut out the low mids at 300 hz and the Q setting was good. I havent really had too much experience with 1k but i do know that 3k is the "crunch area".. meaning that if you took out 10db at 1k, you might have also removed some of 3k which would make your guitars less cruchy. But since you said you used a Q setting of 4, it shouldnt have changed too much.

Again, this is just my perspective.
I think whatever it is that your doing is nice!
Do you have a deadline for this track to be finished? If not, i would not rush anything. Make it perfect! When its complete it will make your eardrums feel as if they are on clouds lol

Ill listen to 8 again tomorrow caus i know that a song may sound different the next day for some reason i guess its just my ears

no deadline just trying to get it finished. yes songs always sound different the next day to me too.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

oh and if your want the drums fatter then get a FATSO! lol.
idk maybe use a combination of URS phat compressor and pultec eq
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Why don't you put this up as a "mix off", see what other people can do and if
you like one, ask them how they did it..? You might learn something you otherwise
wouldn't..
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why don't you put this up as a "mix off", see what other people can do and if
you like one, ask them how they did it..? You might learn something you otherwise
wouldn't..

i am thinking about that....
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

mix #9 added, fixed the drums by reducing the compression ratio on the compressor.

also fixed the guitars added a bit @ 120hz, and lowered the highpass from 120hz, to 100hz.

also made minor improvements overall.

let me know if its any imrovement forward.

thanks!
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

anyone like 9?
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

just redid it again, with mix #12, this is all i can get out of this song.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search