The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Critique my lovely suicidal song? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 30th December 2010
Critique my lovely suicidal song?

So I managed to complete a new tune. It's tough because of lack o' time, but this one really is a step forward for me (I think, you be the judge) and it's the first one I'm actually really proud of.

New mix, based on feedback:

Original mix:
http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/TmpAudio/Final/PutDownTheStone-Final.mp3

I'm pretty much from the 'spit on modernity' school of mixing, so it's purposefully non-compressed and attempting to be big in the old school way, i.e. not through hundreds of tracks but through space and composition. As much as possible I recorded it as it should sound, so there's not actually much mixing involved. There's one compressor on the drum buss, mostly just EQ, a fair bit o' plate reverb, and some delay.

I'd be interested in knowing how this composition and mix is translating. Of course with self-recorders like me, there's a tendancy to want to have too much stuff up front, but I tried to be ruthless and really create a sense of depth and space and layer it well, making it about serving the vocal.

And I always worry about how the frequency balance translates from my system to others. Does it look fat in those pants? Too harsh? Too much going on in the middle range? Muddy?

I doubt it's too harsh, since I like a mix that you can crank up and it sounds sweeter, so it tends to be fairly subdued on the top end. Or, at least I think that's what I'm doing but it's hard to know if it comes across that way to others.

Anyway, criticisms welcome. I'll apply them next time at bat.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at Web2011.

* Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
Example Web Page

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

WOW! Dean! This track is awesome! Would make for a great Itunes download and Movie soundtrack. Don't change a thing! stikethumbsupstike
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterViewer View Post
Don't change a thing! stikethumbsupstike
Absolutely agree. This track sounds forking sweet. Nice work Dean.
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
Server not found
Firefox is clearly doing something wrong. It tried to access the main page, not the actual linked to file. Try it again, maybe it was some temporary glitch. A couple other folks immediately after you hit it without problems.
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterViewer View Post
WOW! Dean! This track is awesome! Would make for a great Itunes download and Movie soundtrack. Don't change a thing! stikethumbsupstike
Thanks! I was kind of thinking that it might make a nice song for the denoeument of a nice depressing movie :-) Though, they don't generally make movies with depressing endings anymore, so it could be tough to find one to use it in. If they made Hamlet today, it would have a happy ending probably.
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMyGo View Post
Absolutely agree. This track sounds forking sweet. Nice work Dean.
Thanks! I guess pretty much I owe the bulk of my influences to your countrymen anyway, so just giving back :-) Everything I do comes across a bit Floydian, and I was thinking on this one maybe a little Portishead as well as I was doing it.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
Firefox is clearly doing something wrong. It tried to access the main page, not the actual linked to file. Try it again, maybe it was some temporary glitch. A couple other folks immediately after you hit it without problems.
Certainly is doing something wrong, doesn't like you at all LOL
I tried just going to your homepage and navigating from there, no joy alas :(
Old 31st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
Certainly is doing something wrong, doesn't like you at all LOL
I tried just going to your homepage and navigating from there, no joy alas :(
Actually I just got an e-mail from my ISP (Softlayer) that they are going to be doing some emergency changes today, because some bug in the Cisco routers are causing connection problems from some locations, so that might be the issue right now for you and why it's only you and not the other folks. Are you on AT&T internet services by any chance? They said that was a particular issue.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

On Sky broadband here which is a Google service I think...........
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

a genuinely interesting track Dean. sounds like it was born rather than conceptualized.
really like the lyrics.

I think the drums at the beginning would be better less pinned to the backbeat. maybe by blocking the snares and rim shots there.
only other two things that sprang to mind was maybe a track of talking the lyrics and then those fading in and out might be interesting.
possibly some ducking from the vocal might give a sense of more tension in certain places.

everything else sounds pretty fine to me.

reminds me a little of
"It Can't rain all the time" by Jane Sidbury. Its the last song on the Crow

nice one. like it

thumbsup
Old 31st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
I think the drums at the beginning would be better less pinned to the backbeat. maybe by blocking the snares and rim shots there.
That could be interesting. It might require adding some other sorts of parts to the intro to keep it from getting overly sparse I guess.

Quote:
possibly some ducking from the vocal might give a sense of more tension in certain places.
You mean ducking the vocal because it's a little too consistent in level, or ducking some other stuff to give the vocal more space?
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
That could be interesting. It might require adding some other sorts of parts to the intro to keep it from getting overly sparse I guess.
it might do, but it sounds like it might take it.

Quote:
You mean ducking the vocal because it's a little too consistent in level, or ducking some other stuff to give the vocal more space?
to bring the vocal on top so it's generally more intimate like someone talking to themselves.
Old 31st December 2010
Ah, OK, I get you. I'm always kind of iffy on having the vocal out front too much because I'm so doubtful of my vocal performances.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ah, OK, I get you. I'm always kind of iffy on having the vocal out front too much because I'm so doubtful of my vocal performances.
you would have to work on the Vocals low end maybe, maybe with a dull reverb room only early reflection signal, and use that to bolster the low end first. you could also maybe use that low frequency sound to drive down a frequency conscious compressor which moved out (those) specific low end frequencies by compression.

That waves C1 compressor gate was always really good at that.
not sure if it side-chained though.
Old 31st December 2010
Awesome.
Old 1st January 2011
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

Well done!

Nothing more to say thumbsupthumbsup
Old 2nd January 2011
Wow, thanks again!
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Nice song! What kind of feedback/filtering is going on with the organ pad? Very dynamic and analogue sounding!
Old 2nd January 2011
The burning B3 organ, believe it or not, is just a Dimension Pro patch, the synth that comes with SONAR. I EQ'd it a bit, but that's it. It just reacted with the reverb in a very interesting way, and I EQ'd out the bits that made it sound less realistic. The result was quite gratifying.

The other bits really are analog, and were done with a Tetra.
Old 5th January 2011
Yeh, I considered a tasteful but emotional Gilmour'esque guitar part for the ending, and others have suggested it as well. But, ultimately I didn't do it. Definitely it is a very reasonable consideration, and maybe I should have. I keep trying to be brutal in terms of no more than what is needed, to avoid the excess that is so easy these days with all the toys we have. Sometimes I may get too ascetic about it though.
Old 5th January 2011
Quote:
Though, they don't generally make movies with depressing endings anymore, so it could be tough to find one to use it in.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Donnie Darko have bittersweet endings, the song would suit something like them. Darko ended with Gary Jules' rendition of Mad World which really suited it heh

Really like the track, I'll have to give it a proper listen tomorow, I'm betting these MacBook speakers aren't doing it justice
Old 5th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlen View Post
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Donnie Darko have bittersweet endings, the song would suit something like them. Darko ended with Gary Jules' rendition of Mad World which really suited it
Yeh, Mad, Mad, World, and the impact is tremendous the first time you see the movie. It just underscores that scene soooo well. It's one of those movies where the real payoff is held to the very end of the movie, and when it comes it's like a sledgehammer and the music serves it perfectly. It completely toasted me the first time I saw it.
Old 7th January 2011
So I finally joined the rest of the world and signed up for a dedicated music hosting thingie. I went with SoundCloud just to try it out. I updated the initial post with the SoundCloud hosted version of this tune. Is this working for you guys?
Old 7th January 2011
SoundCloud is working fine for me
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Everything I do comes across a bit Floydian
That would explain the Alan Parsons snare sound!
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Addict

Lovely song, agree on the Alan Parson similarity. I'm listening on HD280 headphones and the organs are a bit overbearing and hiding the kick around the 60-150hz side of things, you could buss compress, but I would honestly hi-pass is out of 50hz at least...and maybe even bring the overall volume down on it...Matching levels on my headphones is pretty awful, but I am certain about hi passing the organs if you wan't that pink floyd punch happening
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Addict

Hi Dean

You are my neighbor by a few miles

love your sound and feel.

my ears have been raised on the floydian wave too... so I feel very much at home on this slow, deep pulse of yours... very soothing and healing.

this track seems to exist almost by itself... simplicity is key and you nailed this big time : love it

Care to post the lyrics ?

Best
Patrick
Old 8th January 2011
Thanks! On the lyrics, going from memory they are:

Blind alone
All but done
I've signed the letters
closed the shutters
Turned my back on pain
It's time to start again

It would have happened anyway
the longer that we stay
departing just gets harder

Put down the stone
All that you have done
is left in tatters
Delusions all have scattered

The child is gone
He won't be coming home.
Distracted by the chatter
dragged away on matters
the lure of empty thrones

What joys do we forsake
when we can't sustain
the energy for survival

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search