The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Critique my lovely suicidal song? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
Thanks!
l
Those synths and organs also remind me of these high altitude soaring ambiences from my fellow compatriots AIR....

Thks for posting the lyrics thumbsup

Patrick
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So I managed to complete a new tune. It's tough because of lack o' time, but this one really is a step forward for me (I think, you be the judge) and it's the first one I'm actually really proud of.

I'm pretty much from the 'spit on modernity' school of mixing, so it's purposefully non-compressed and attempting to be big in the old school way, i.e. not through hundreds of tracks but through space and composition. As much as possible I recorded it as it should sound, so there's not actually much mixing involved. There's one compressor on the drum buss, mostly just EQ, a fair bit o' plate reverb, and some delay.

I'd be interested in knowing how this composition and mix is translating. Of course with self-recorders like me, there's a tendancy to want to have too much stuff up front, but I tried to be ruthless and really create a sense of depth and space and layer it well, making it about serving the vocal.

And I always worry about how the frequency balance translates from my system to others. Does it look fat in those pants? Too harsh? Too much going on in the middle range? Muddy?

I doubt it's too harsh, since I like a mix that you can crank up and it sounds sweeter, so it tends to be fairly subdued on the top end. Or, at least I think that's what I'm doing but it's hard to know if it comes across that way to others.

Anyway, criticisms welcome. I'll apply them next time at bat.
Are you a Sparklehorse fan?
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
So I managed to complete a new tune. It's tough because of lack o' time, but this one really is a step forward for me (I think, you be the judge) and it's the first one I'm actually really proud of.

Anyway, criticisms welcome. I'll apply them next time at bat.

2nd critique

laptop and px-100 sennheiser headphones here

the song is a beauty, even more after a few listenings : casual despair and desillusion turned into bliss. my kind of Art really... Merci.

the toms are probably too weak, lacking low-mid stuff : I think since they are not so prominent in the song, giving them more body could be cool... would warm up things, serve transitions and accents a bit better ...

the ride (and probably what serves as "OH" ) is also lacking mids... I think i just hear the highs info, like a tick tick tick... (near the end) sort of distracts me...

a rythmic cue (tambourine ? ride ?) up to 0:45 could serve the pulse better... i was looking for some grounds or something to cling on to during that part ....

the vocals are dead on and flow oh so nice... lullaby... but the delivery of the last line "the energy for survival" sounds either misplaced, or not felt enough during the performance to me (awkward?) ... as a producer I would probably ask you to have another go at it, try to make it find it's natural space.... your call though.

I think I'll replay it now

Patrick

ps PM'ed you in your soundcould inbox, not sure you got that...?
Old 8th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirocaster View Post
Are you a Sparklehorse fan?
I'm embarrassed to say I've never heard of them. I'll have to check them out.
Old 8th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat38 View Post
2nd critique

laptop and px-100 sennheiser headphones here

the song is a beauty, even more after a few listenings : casual despair and desillusion turned into bliss. my kind of Art really... Merci.

the toms are probably too weak, lacking low-mid stuff : I think since they are not so prominent in the song, giving them more body could be cool... would warm up things, serve transitions and accents a bit better ...

the ride (and probably what serves as "OH" ) is also lacking mids... I think i just hear the highs info, like a tick tick tick... (near the end) sort of distracts me...

a rythmic cue (tambourine ? ride ?) up to 0:45 could serve the pulse better... i was looking for some grounds or something to cling on to during that part ....

the vocals are dead on and flow oh so nice... lullaby... but the delivery of the last line "the energy for survival" sounds either misplaced, or not felt enough during the performance to me (awkward?) ... as a producer I would probably ask you to have another go at it, try to make it find it's natural space.... your call though.
Yeh, those are all valid criticisms I think. I might disagree with the rhythmic queue in the intro. I kind of like that it's floating. Actually someone up above argued that it was too rhythmic :-)
Old 10th January 2011
OK, I updated the first post with a new mix, based on feedback. I also this time broke out the outboard gear as well. It's got a little more automation and effects. I removed more of the low end from the synthy parts and gave it back to the guitars and bass, which is kind of nice because that Vibrochamp sounds so nice and this way you can hear that lovely breakup. And I tamed the spacey synth pad down. The old one is still there as well for comparison.

Anyway, it's both better and not as good, as I guess is usually the case. It gained things, and it lost some of it's youthful exuberance perhaps as well in the process. At least that's my take. Do you think it's better or worse? It's I think 'more professional', but I don't always equate that with better.

The outboard is basically just on the drums. The compressor and EQ that was on the drum bus was moved to outboard, plus I put another compressor box on the overheads where there wasn't one before. And the overall mix went through the 1968, with the needles just twitching, but pushing up the output for most of the final gain to CD levels in order to get some of that tubiness of the 1968's output stage.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

I dig you stuff bro!
Old 10th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
I dig you stuff bro!
Thanks a lot!
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks a lot!
Check out Sparklehorse - he was awesome! Unfortunately his dead now. I'm pretty sure you will love his music and awesomeness. His productions are so cool. Some stuff is almost broken distorted and the mixes are so warm and loving. His one of my heroes. I miss him!
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyway, it's both better and not as good, as I guess is usually the case. It gained things, and it lost some of it's youthful exuberance perhaps as well in the process. At least that's my take. Do you think it's better or worse? It's I think 'more professional', but I don't always equate that with better.

Good song. I think your second mix is better, except you either added to much low end to the bass guitar or turned it up too much.
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Head

Really good song and lyrics. being a noobie i always want too throw everything in and over do it. Anyways.. Sounds great! I am a sucker for a little lead guitar or a cool moog sound in there.

Last edited by the Seed; 11th January 2011 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: add more
Old 11th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
Check out Sparklehorse - he was awesome! Unfortunately his dead now. I'm pretty sure you will love his music and awesomeness. His productions are so cool. Some stuff is almost broken distorted and the mixes are so warm and loving. His one of my heroes. I miss him!
Wow, either I just by accident selected the two best songs he ever did by far, or he's pretty amazing. Both of them almost made me cry. That's like Lennon's Plastic Ono Band level of simple emotional channeling.
Old 11th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschizoid View Post
Good song. I think your second mix is better, except you either added to much low end to the bass guitar or turned it up too much.
Really? Hmmm... Is anyone else seeing this or is Steve having a room mode problem or something? I thought it was actually fairly restrained and rolled off on the low end compared to the firs tone, but of course it's always difficult to tell.
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Head

Great!!!
My only thing is that everything thing is so far out left and right. Especially the acoustic. I would bring the guitars in a bit and let the pad occupy that space out there. I would bring the acoustic way in. Just a personal taste thing. Great work!!!
Old 11th January 2011
Here for the gear

You captured the overall feel just great!!
I love the snare sound, what drum or sample is it?

Only thing that buggers me abit is the drum arrangement in the beginning, feels a bit random to me.

Cheers!
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Upgrade takes track to pro level, no loss, only gain. It has evolved and is right where you want it. thumbsup
Old 11th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by joll View Post
You captured the overall feel just great!!
I love the snare sound, what drum or sample is it?

Only thing that buggers me abit is the drum arrangement in the beginning, feels a bit random to me.

Cheers!
I use BFD, in this case the original BFD, not BFD2 though I have that also. I'm forgetting which kit that was. I just play around with kits until I find one that has the closest natural sound to what I want and go from there.
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
OK, I updated the first post with a new mix, based on feedback. I also this time broke out the outboard gear as well. It's got a little more automation and effects. I removed more of the low end from the synthy parts and gave it back to the guitars and bass, which is kind of nice because that Vibrochamp sounds so nice and this way you can hear that lovely breakup. And I tamed the spacey synth pad down. The old one is still there as well for comparison.

The outboard is basically just on the drums. The compressor and EQ that was on the drum bus was moved to outboard, plus I put another compressor box on the overheads where there wasn't one before. And the overall mix went through the 1968, with the needles just twitching, but pushing up the output for most of the final gain to CD levels in order to get some of that tubiness of the 1968's output stage.
I have a feeling of more overall depth and tighter lows : the bass fils up more nicely now

As far as the panned acoustic guitars go, its a choice : leave the there level wise to the benefit of these magnificent AIRy pads (as they are now) OR raise them.

Your choice is yours and it suits me fine...

The panning effects of the pads is good for what I have too, Thank you Doctor...

Great great song : this is what I would like to hear on the radio, if only I had a radio ...

Beau Travail thumbsup keep'em coming !
Patrick
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Finally!!! Soundcloud link works perfectly. Song sounds pretty good. Reminded me of Obscured by Clouds era Floyd and The Air That I Breathe by the Hollies. Very chilled song. Good stuff
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Nut

It's sounding really good. I might have brightened it up just a tad, but then again brightening it up might not fit the song as much. Good job!
Old 31st January 2011
Thanks guys! Yeh, by modern standards I guess it probably is pretty non-bright and crunchy. I'm always seeming to lean towards this type of balance for whatever reason. I guess on this one part of it is a desire to not have anything stand out too much and just to have a sort of backwash of sound where you can here there's definitely stuff going on, but nothing really to call too much attention. In retrospect I think I'd lighten the bass low end a bit, and remove a little of the raspier mids on the vocal I guess.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search