The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why do my recordings sound unexciting? Listen here. Modular Synthesizers
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound View Post
If some of the people here spent more time mixing and learning, and less time posting opinions, they could get lots better!
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I'm hearing some high single notes on a xylophone and maybe a piano too to add something interesting...? Maybe some kind of percussion like tympani being added late in the tune...?

Definitely would find a way to emphasize the plucking (violins?).

What kind of acoustic guitar are you using? It doesn't seem to have much body to it.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

The raw track sounds SOOO much better than the one you mixed....the first one sounds tinny and unprofessional. the other one sounds more lush and full...

I think you are putting too much into the actual mix. Let the music work itself. You work with the music too much and it will sound just like you worked with the music too much.

-Ev
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Nut

(Note: I only listened to the original mix, so I don't mean to imply that the first mix is better than subsequent mixes)

I REALLY, REALLY like it in the original mix; great low-fi, subtle production that lets the instruments showcase their natural sound, creating a great mood. Very indie movie soundtrack. Remember, a lot of the folks around here have the job of making something very polished; I don't think that's necessarily right for this music, depending on what you're going for.

Regarding timbres, I loved them. The only thing I would agree with regarding suggestions:

1) I agree with giving a try to bringing the Chinese instrument (sorry, forgot the name already ) into the center; it's losing some of the focus by being panned hard left and right; I would split the bowed guitar and see how that works out (as previously suggested).

Besides that, I wouldn't mess with it too much aside from tweaking it; I expected it to sound very washy by your description in the first post, but I thought the instruments had a lot of presence as they came in; I like how you faded them in gradually, that really worked. Don't overproduce this! It's REALLY good, and I don't hear much that impresses me these days...

Last edited by Zencatt; 2nd January 2011 at 04:41 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Head

I immediately liked the timbres and textures of the instruments. I think it's a pretty good arrangement. It really needs a foreground lead instrument or vocal. As an ethereal ambient piece, it doesn't work for me. It feels like it should lead to a similar, higher-energy section with drums and ...a lead instrument. I think you should experiment with different kinds of echo/reverb on each track. Maybe narrow the range/EQ of the reverb. Various reverbs/echoes, contrasted with relatively dry tracks, will give a larger range of depth. I hope this helps.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

I'd rerecord the Guzheng. They sound phasey and roomy to me. Play around with the mic positions and don't worry too much about established stereo micing techniques.

Also as some people have suggested the second Guzheng could play the chord in a different position to get a more pleasing frequency spectrum (or a third could do some type of overdubs).

They also have som distracting timing issues as of now.

Notice how the piece you posted from Youtube has a much more centered mix. I think it's kind of distracting that the main instrument is hard panned to such an extent.

Nice vibe in the song though, and I really like the samples.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

2nd time...

Sounds like maybe the mix has changed, I just listened to the original link in the first post compared to the "newer" mix without effects in some decent headphones...

The first post's link sounded much better than the remix for me; I personally would like to hear a new section somewhere in it, but the sound and instrumentation is very evocative and effective, and I can't imagine a whole lot more that changing the mix is going to produce. Nice job!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search