The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Indie Pop (or whatever) Turntables
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Indie Pop (or whatever)

Hi.
This is the last tune I've made. I think the overall sound is ok, but I'm sure that you could give me another point of view, specially if you have better monitors than mine.
The drums are programmed with mod-plug (an old tracker), the bass has been plugged right to the mixer. The acoustic guitar and vocals through an Akg perception 200, and the electric guitar with an POD xt. All comments are welcome, even if you don't like my weird accent.
Have fun!
Attached Files

Dark Smile - Cold Hands.mp3 (5.16 MB, 1251 views)

Old 29th December 2010
The mix sounds pretty good - vocals are very clear & prominent (as they should be). The main area for improvement I can hear is the drums... They sound good, but they are overly dominant in the mix - simply turning them down would help a lot. Cool tune - very catchy pop.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Thank you for your time. The drums are a bit high, because I thought the limiter would squash them in the mastering process, but it seems they have survived too much.
Anyway, I'm glad you liked it!
Old 30th December 2010
I agree with the above. Good song, very hooky and catchy and bounces along nicely. I think that maybe you could get away with just pulling down a nice sized notch in the overheads at around 1200 to 2000 maybe? That might drop the drums back into the mix more while keeping them plenty up front and leave more space for the other things that want to live there.

Worth a try anyway.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Smile View Post
Hi.
This is the last tune I've made. I think the overall sound is ok, but I'm sure that you could give me another point of view, specially if you have better monitors than mine.
The drums are programmed with mod-plug (an old tracker), the bass has been plugged right to the mixer. The acoustic guitar and vocals through an Akg perception 200, and the electric guitar with an POD xt. All comments are welcome, even if you don't like my weird accent.
Have fun!
Hi Dark Smile,
overall good work. It´s a catchy song and melody!
To my ears the drum sound and spatiality doesn´t really fit into the mix not only the volume (the colleague from australia mentioned it).

You also mentioned that you used a limiter during the mastering process by yourself. Please be very careful with the dynamics especially of percussive instruments. Otherwise you´ll damage the entire feeling of the song.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I agree with the above. Good song, very hooky and catchy and bounces along nicely. I think that maybe you could get away with just pulling down a nice sized notch in the overheads at around 1200 to 2000 maybe? That might drop the drums back into the mix more while keeping them plenty up front and leave more space for the other things that want to live there.

Worth a try anyway.
Hi.
I'm glad you liked it. I'll mess around a bit with the EQ and let's see what happens.
Thank you for your time!
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Leonhard View Post
Hi Dark Smile,
overall good work. It´s a catchy song and melody!
To my ears the drum sound and spatiality doesn´t really fit into the mix not only the volume (the colleague from australia mentioned it).

You also mentioned that you used a limiter during the mastering process by yourself. Please be very careful with the dynamics especially of percussive instruments. Otherwise you´ll damage the entire feeling of the song.
Thank you for your advise. I'm not a master in mastering, so this is for me a "try and fail" method. I'll keep an eye on the limiter.
You are a big help!
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I think the drums sound fine - it's the bass who needs to come up or needs to be matched with the drums. Right now it sounds like it's your neighbor playing bass...

Cool song man!
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
I think the drums sound fine - it's the bass who needs to come up or needs to be matched with the drums. Right now it sounds like it's your neighbor playing bass...

Cool song man!
As far as I know my neighbor plays piano . I think you mean that the bass sound could have another EQ to fit better into the mix.
Thank you for listening!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search