The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Taking back sunday/Brand new/rock. I need a critique on the mix and production please
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Taking back sunday/Brand new/rock. I need a critique on the mix and production please

Hey slutz!

I am practicing more and more working on rock recordings/songs. Here is a band I produced/recorded last month. 2/6 of their songs
They are great guys, great musicians, and were extremely fun and polite to record. It was a great time!!!

I was wondering how I did on their mixes. Being as I am a newbie at this stuff, it would be interesting to hear critiques on how I am doing.

Merry christmas eve btw!!!
-Evan
Attached Files

She Said (Album Version).mp3 (5.43 MB, 129 views)

Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

I think the vocals sound a little too quiet, especially on the verse, try to compress them a bit more and bring the volume up. The highs on both the vocals and guitars during the chorus sound really fatiguing, try cutting in the 4-6khz area. To me, the drums sound too quiet during the chorus, but at the beginning they are little too loud I think.

I can't stand that electronic hi-hat in Circles at 2:40ish, try to add some reverb to soften that up. I would maybe add a little reverb to the entire mix. I'm also having trouble hearing the bass guitar, and the kick during the chorus.

'She Said' sounds a lot less harsh than Circles.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Agreed. Circles is definitely harsh. The intonation of the lead guitar is quite suspect as well. He's not pulling full bends, for one.

Listening to the second track now, and the intonation issues are pretty obvious here again. OW! This one is harsh, too.

Can you hear that constant ringing on the high end? Like a cymbal that sits in your ear and just buzzes? That's what we're talking about.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search