The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sell RME Fireface UFX and Neumann KM184 stereo pair for Prism Orpheus? Audio Interfaces
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

Sell RME Fireface UFX and Neumann KM184 stereo pair for Prism Orpheus?

I have a stupidly good price to grab a Prism Orpheus for (£700 off list - new) but to get it I will have to trade in my New RME Fireface UFX and KM184's for it. Only problem to this is that is the quality of the Orpheus that much better than the RME Fireface UFX? I am asking this because when I loaded the UFX up for the first time the pre's sounded great but I am a tiny bit disappointed by the D/A - possibly because I previously had an Apogee Ensemble on loan which sounds huge with tight lows and crisp highs. The Apogee also has a massive stereo field but the mids sounded a bit too 'floaty' which is why I switched to the UFX which sounds big but not quite detailed enough and what seems like a narrower stereo field. Earlier I spoke to a Prism technician and he said he completely agrees with this and at their showroom they have a UFX and apogee which the A/B with the Orpheus... apparently the difference is like night and day and customers always decide to go for the Orpheus. Then again he works for them but as the audio is completely natural and uncoloured I think I want to go for the orpheus but not too sure. Any thoughts?
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Guru

well I would expect the Orpheus to sound better at almost twice the price, however marginal that maybe. I do know the RME drivers are rocksolid in terms of performance and the Orpheus drivers don't perform as well in benchtests. If I were you I'd keep the UFX and just buy nicer standalone converters and hook em up via adat or spdif/aes.
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
well I would expect the Orpheus to sound better at almost twice the price, however marginal that maybe. I do know the RME drivers are rocksolid in terms of performance and the Orpheus drivers don't perform as well in benchtests. If I were you I'd keep the UFX and just buy nicer standalone converters and hook em up via adat or spdif/aes.
Yea that seems like a much better option. Can't believe I didn't think of that before? Have any thoughts about the Benchmark Media DAC1?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Go for a Lavry DA10, it's supposed to be slightly better than the DAC1.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search