The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Feedback on my crazy little tune, please!
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Head

Feedback on my crazy little tune, please!

Here is a little tune that I have been working on since this past Sunday. Please let me know what you think.

MP3 Player SoundClick

http://www.atlanticplumbing.net/chokingchicken.mp3
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

gotta say wanger, "It's a classic!". FOUR STARS ! thumbsupstikethumbsup
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Head

Cool,

Thanks a lot!
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Nice tune..creative..you're a talented player, but recordings don't let you get away with much...that said, working your scales will improve your accuracy.
L.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Head

Hum?

For some reason I am not hearing the accuracy problem. If you could, let me know what sounds funny so I can see what the problem is there.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

bitchin track
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telewanger View Post
Hum?

For some reason I am not hearing the accuracy problem. If you could, let me know what sounds funny so I can see what the problem is there.

I really don't come here to be a critic...and I'm not trying to be critical. It just sounds to me like you're struggling a bit in places or maybe it's just that there is a bit of uneveness in your technique here and there. This works itself out over time with practice. It's good but not great...you have the potential to be a great player..that's the only reason I bring it up. If I didn't think so I wouldn't say anything. Keep playing every day and then listen to this in a year. You'll hear what I'm talking about.
L.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

This track sounds bada$$. What kind of gear you use?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

Thanks Guys for your nice comments!

As far as this recording, I use Sonar 8.5. recording software, Laney, Bugera, and Fender Twin amps in stereo, 1999 Telecaster, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive on clean guitar. Radial Plexitube on distorted guitar, along with a Fuzzface running on 5 volts. I use SM-57 mics, and old Aria Pro Bass guitar.

I don't like to use much compression and limiting. It kills the dynamics. I would rather have a less loud recording than a really loud one that sounds squashed with compression and limiting.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by once a roadie View Post
bitchin track
Nice guitar work
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hum?

Some arrhythmic bits here and there. Listen to the end of your line around 0:45. It's almost a stutter as you come out of the phrase. It's not bad. Happens a few places through the track.

But don't let it bug you too much. This is great work. You just asked for help.

Hell, if I was in front of you in the audience, I'd scream "bravo!" You're a much better guitarist than I am, for certain.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

And I've probably already said too much, but I listened to Element and Gravity..these pieces sounded like you worked on them a little longer...very nice work. I'm sure this just needs a little tweaking and it will be up there with those.
L.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

Thanks Guys!

I have posted the tune on about 10 recording and guitar forums. So far, the guitar sounds out of tune, the bass sounds bad, the drums are playing too many licks, the distortion sounds bad, I need to get rid of the distorted guitars, sounds a little muddy, mix is not great, and some people say that the timing is off.

When I check the timing with Groove Quantization, it shows that the guitar track is okay. I even auto corrected it, but the notes only moved a few milliseconds in time, back or forth, but not really enough to matter much. On some of the parts the drums are playing a back or front beat, and the bass and guitar are sometimes doing something different. Maybe that is also making the timing sound a little strange at times.

Hum???? Yeah, I'm confused!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Well I'm not trying to be the answer man, cause I struggle with my stuff like many do, but I've always thought that if you ask 20 people you get 20 different opinions. And that's just what they are..opinions. On these boards you have no idea if the responder can even play a instrument. Or if they have any type of mixing experience. If you have one or two friends who play as well as you do and who you are sure have some understanding of the craft, then they are a great asset in listening for things you might not have caught. Otherwise, you're the artist. At some point you have to do it the best you can, get it where you're satisfied with it, let it go and move on. If we keep at this on a daily basis it stands to reason we should only get better at it. But personally, I still think it's about the journey, not about one song or one solo. No matter what you do, some will like it, some won't...but if you like it and you know you did the best you could do then it's something to be proud of. You have talent and you're creative. Next year at this time if you keep at it, you'll be even better than you are now. Good luck.
L.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

Yeah,

Most of the time when I post a song I will get the same responses, but on this one, I got a lot of different ones. I like songs with a lot of breaks, sort of like Rush, where the guitar and bass might be doing two different things. Sometimes it sounds like they clash because one might start or stop on the downbeat and one on the up beat. Sometimes it works and other times it sounds like a mess.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah,

Most of the time when I post a song I will get the same responses, but on this one, I got a lot of different ones. I like songs with a lot of breaks, sort of like Rush, where the guitar and bass might be doing two different things. Sometimes it sounds like they clash because one might start or stop on the downbeat and one on the up beat. Sometimes it works and other times it sounds like a mess.
I completely understand that. I'm a huge Rush fan, mostly because of their regard of musicality and complexity over the typical crap you hear every single day. As a trained classical musician, anyone trying to do something MORE is doing it right in my book.

Again, this is a good track. I'm just trying to help you polish it.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopfoo View Post
Some arrhythmic bits here and there. Listen to the end of your line around 0:45. It's almost a stutter as you come out of the phrase. It's not bad. Happens a few places through the track.

But don't let it bug you too much. This is great work. You just asked for help.

Hell, if I was in front of you in the audience, I'd scream "bravo!" You're a much better guitarist than I am, for certain.
With the stop go music you are playing I would not like it nearly as much without the disjunction. i intentionally do that in my own tracking from time to time for a neural response.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search