The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alt/Indie Rock Mix
Old 23rd December 2010
Alt/Indie Rock Mix

This is a mix I've just completed for a band that tracked their material in another studio... I don't have the details of the tracking, as I only came in to mix it... Anyway, they're happy with the result, but I thought I'd throw it up on here to get some feedback on it - I'm always happy to learn more.
Thanks!
Attached Files

Tiny Islands (256).mp3 (8.51 MB, 1254 views)

Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

pretty cool
but that snare needs to come way down
chorus vox could come forward too...
interesting tune
thumbsup
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

I like the snare where it is. I'd bring the overheads up a little bit, maybe that wouldn't make the snare trick you into thinking it was louder than it really is? But I like drums to be up front, it's all a matter of taste. Nice job!
Old 23rd December 2010
Fhl
Lives for gear

I think the snare is way too loud. It does not blend nicely. Nice song though
Old 23rd December 2010
Thanks for the listens & comments... Yeah, it seems the snare divides opinion on this tune - some like it, some don't. I think perhaps I could have made it a little less up-front during the intro & verses, but I kinda got seduced by the sound....ok, lesson learned! The good news is the band a happy with this mix they've signed off on it.

Thanks again!
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

LIKE ! stikehehstike
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

Hey, I also don't like the snare, I think you should use a sample for it that sounds better and lower the volume on it, especially in the beginning of the song. I think the vocals are a little too much in the background during the chorus, but maybe that's what the band was going for, I just hate it when you can't make out the lyrics.
Old 25th December 2010
Quote:
LIKE ! stikehehstike
Thanks!

Quote:
Hey, I also don't like the snare, I think you should use a sample for it that sounds better and lower the volume on it, especially in the beginning of the song. I think the vocals are a little too much in the background during the chorus, but maybe that's what the band was going for, I just hate it when you can't make out the lyrics.
Yeah, the band were very specific in their brief for the mix, & the contrasts between the "close" verse & the "big"chorus are very deliberate... I wasn't keen on the idea of using a snare sample, because I wanted to craft an individual sounding snare that reflected the sound of the original kit somewhat, & I felt I achieved that, even if it doesn't reflect current trends...

Thanks for the comments!
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fHumble fHingaz View Post
The good news is the band a happy with this mix they've signed off on it.
That's the only opinion that matters. Congrats on pleasing them!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search