The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MIX THIS TRACK! Radio Rock- Stems inside
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

MIX THIS TRACK! Radio Rock- Stems inside

Here's the band I've been working with. I'm about 90% done mixing myself, but I thought I'd let you all have at it as well.

There's a readme text file explaining everything.

Here are the files. (Should be up by 7pm EST, sorry!)
https://files.me.com/zatp/z0hno0

Here's my most recent mix.
https://files.me.com/zatp/3wdii6.mp3

Thanks!

I look forward to new perspectives because I've been listening to mine for too long!
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Dropbox shut me down for too much traffic. I'll post it somewhere else soon.
Old 22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
RiF
Lives for gear

Here's my mix:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2134101/divi...0-12-22%29.mp3

EDIT: My mix came out a bit on the bassy side and the center signal levels are too high, because I had to mix on Headphones (which does not really work too well).
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

@RiF: Sounds great! It's so much more chill because the guitar tones are super clean. It's a great variation. I also like the vocal delay. It's just right for the track.
Old 25th December 2010
RiF
Lives for gear

Here's an update to my mix (done on my monitors):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2134101/dividedwefall/Divided%20We%20Fall%20-%20Believe%20Me%20%28RiF%2C%202010-12-25%29.mp3

The drums still have this distracting drum-machine'esque vibe that is partly because of the programming and partly because of the use of samples...

Merry Christmas.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

UPDATE: Heres the direction ive been going with it. Was really pushing Fab Filters Pro-L with this one.

I only wish I had melodyne or something, there are a few vocal notes and a few sections of the lead guitar (not the two solo guitars towards the end) that really stick out to me. Other than that I really like this track.
Attached Files

Final Mix.mp3 (9.05 MB, 829 views)

Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

OK I'll play...

Have had no luck attaching an mp3? Try again - maybe it works this time...?

BTW, nice song

Cheers, Mike
Attached Files

believe me.mp3 (6.50 MB, 785 views)

Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks to all who are contributing! They sound great.

This band has 4 other tracks they did with me. They're great dudes and I like their songs. This is the most radio track. The other ones are either heavier or softer or more experimental. I'll post more stuff soon.
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

This mix I made last night. Thank you for sharing the tracks!
Attached Files

believemp3.mp3 (8.10 MB, 651 views)

Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Had a dabble at it today: SoundClick artist: Lute - We are Lute, we rock.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Haven't played with it, but listening to Rif's mix (which is quite good, I think!) I notice a big missing element: backing vox. There need to be at least one, probably two lower harmonies on the 'believe' part. Nothing too big or choral, just to fill it in and give it some weight, don't you think?

If you're still tracking with the band, maybe have the singer try adding a couple lower vocal lines...

Just a thought!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Agreed, also when the bass comes up before the chorus, sounds a bit lame, needs some guitars in unison there to give it more power.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

There are both low harmonies and guitar that matches the bass before the chorus. That's just how HIS mix sounds. Did you listen to mine, or the source tracks?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juha View Post
This mix I made last night. Thank you for sharing the tracks!
Did you not use an amp sim? You realize those just DI tracks straight from the guitar?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

I'd suggest listening to my mix to get a feel for how the song is supposed to sound/feel. It sounds like you guys are omitting amps/gain. They want the song to be upbeat and have distortion. I don't hear the main riff on the last two variations at all.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2883818/believe%20me%20copy.mp3
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sorry Zack!

I just listened to the first part of your first mix, then Rif's mix, and didn't listen to any others before posting!
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Suitcase View Post
Sorry Zack!

I just listened to the first part of your first mix, then Rif's mix, and didn't listen to any others before posting!
No prob man, don't be sorry! I just find it interesting that everyone has skipped over the original mix and taken this song in a whole new direction!
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackpennington View Post
Did you not use an amp sim?
No, I did not
Quote:
You realize those just DI tracks straight from the guitar?
Yes, I do

I thought it didn't need any amp sims. Sounded nice dry. Perhaps it was an egg to my face, oh well
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Thanks for this, had fun! Here´s my mix:
Attached Files

believe mix2.mp3 (9.07 MB, 551 views)

Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Thanks for this, had fun! Here´s my mix:
Drums sound great, did you use my samples or your own? If so, what all did you do?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Glad you like it, I didn´t replace any samples. Here´s a quick list of what I did to the Drums:

Kick: Peak around 220 Hz, got rid of the boom with low cut (to not mess with the bass)

Snare: smashed it with Ozones limiter (around 15 db of gr!) to get rid of that initial pop, and make it more "splashy" and sit better in the mix

OH: low cut, high boost, compression, reverb

Floor Tom: Gate, major boost around 80Hz, light broad boost at 7k, roll off lows and lots of compression (fast attack), big reverb

Bus: light compression with Abbey Road Tg

Here´s a sample of the drums (now that I know how to post mp3´s):

Cheers!
Attached Files

Drums.mp3 (1,005.6 KB, 395 views)

Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Wink Believe me

Decided to play around with it...
This mix has a nice build up from beginning to end.

Next time you track, get the levels up on the way in, you will have a lower noise floor.
It really effects dynamics in the digital realm, & mastering will bring up a lot of noise.
Most were low and some were peaking at -28db, around -3 is were you want to be.

Very nice job on tracking, I really like the sounds you captured!

Attached Files

BELIEVE_ME.mp3 (9.04 MB, 473 views)

Old 29th December 2010
Just listening to a few of the mixes - don't really have time to have a go myself (2 weeks in NZ leaving Mon)
but.....
The song would really benefit from live drums tracked well in a good room IMHO.
The programming is ok but to me the overall drum sound is just not quite there.
There's a big difference between a bit of sample replacing or adding and totally programmed / sampled drums.

I understand the issue of budgets etc but if the song is to have a chance of achieving good airplay then it needs every advantage possible.
My 2 cents.
Old 29th December 2010
So - I thought I would download the files and have a bit of a play.
2 hours later here I am - after midnight uploading a mix - LOL - should have been in bed hours ago.

The biggest issue I had was getting the toms to sit nicely without having to much hats / ride.
Was a real challenge - I'm still not happy - I reckon you should have close mic'ed the Toms individually as well as the Overheads.
Anyway here it is.
It's not mastered - just straight off the console so the level is down a bit.
I used a fair whack of HEAT which I dig. (I'm on PT HD)
I didn't worry about automation either - really the lead gtr that plays all thru the song should be automated to make room for the vocal but I didn't bother.
(BTW - I didn't use any Reverb at all.)

PS - after listening to the song over and over for the last 2 hours I really like it - great vocalist - hope it does well.
Attached Files

Believe Me - Gus Quick Mix_01.mp3 (7.72 MB, 536 views)

Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMusician View Post
Decided to play around with it...
This mix has a nice build up from beginning to end.

Next time you track, get the levels up on the way in, you will have a lower noise floor.
It really effects dynamics in the digital realm, & mastering will bring up a lot of noise.
Most were low and some were peaking at -28db, around -3 is were you want to be.

Very nice job on tracking, I really like the sounds you captured!

This is a very creative approach to this mix. I like the funk vibe on the lead tone! Well done.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
So - I thought I would download the files and have a bit of a play.
2 hours later here I am - after midnight uploading a mix - LOL - should have been in bed hours ago.

The biggest issue I had was getting the toms to sit nicely without having to much hats / ride.
Was a real challenge - I'm still not happy - I reckon you should have close mic'ed the Toms individually as well as the Overheads.
Anyway here it is.
It's not mastered - just straight off the console so the level is down a bit.
I used a fair whack of HEAT which I dig. (I'm on PT HD)
I didn't worry about automation either - really the lead gtr that plays all thru the song should be automated to make room for the vocal but I didn't bother.
(BTW - I didn't use any Reverb at all.)

PS - after listening to the song over and over for the last 2 hours I really like it - great vocalist - hope it does well.
Great sounds man! I like the upfront sound of the drums, although I would prefer wetter vox. The lead tone could use more gain/sustain, but you nailed the rhythm tone!
Old 29th December 2010
Quote:
Great sounds man! I like the upfront sound of the drums, although I would prefer wetter vox. The lead tone could use more gain/sustain, but you nailed the rhythm tone!
Cheers - didn't spend to much time playing around with Amp sim's.
I think the modern sound is dry - I'm not a big fan of 'wet' vocals unless it's Enya or something - LOL. heh
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

*UPDATE* I've tweaked this all some more since I've posted. Low end should be in more control, kick should have more punch/cut through better

Here's the EP in its entirety. This isn't the final mix, but it's close. Any feedback for me would be great. FYI, I've tracked/mixed in one giant session to get continuity so feedback on one song would more or less apply to all songs.

Here's some session deetz..

Tracked/mixed/edited/ghetto mastered in Logic 9.
Kick and snare are Slate. Kick is 6, Snare is a blend of Dream and Black.
Toms and cymbals are real. Used two overheads and a Beta 52 under the floor toms (weird setup, but sounds huge imo). No close mics.
Kit was a high end Pearl.
Dirty amps are Podfarm, clean amps are Logic's stock amp sim.
Guitars were a single coil strat and a dual humbucker strat.
Bass is mostly a GK head through a Mesa 4x12 Bass cab (sweet!) mic'd with a 52 and 57 blended. Random parts are the DI with an Ampeg sim. He had a Wahl bass that was pretty gnarly as well. (look it up)
Vocal mic was an SM7B into a Funk logic RNP/RNC combo rack. Singer hardly needed any tuning, real natural performer.
Mostly stock Logic reverbs/delays/compressors.
Self mastered with Ozone (cheater!)

Any other questions, just ask.

Enjoy.
Believe Me- you've all come to be familiar with this one.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2883818/3rd%...lieve%20me.mp3

Someone Else's Mirror- most atmospheric song
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2883818/3rd%...opy/mirror.mp3

Fire- a little heavier, lots of double bass and riffage
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2883818/3rd%...0copy/fire.mp3

The Urge- the other heavier track, a few squeals here and there!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2883818/3rd%...0copy/urge.mp3

Dead Fret- epic end of cd type song. the only screaming on the album are in this song (courtesy of my old bands screamer/singer Clay)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2883818/3rd%...y/deadfret.mp3
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Cheers - didn't spend to much time playing around with Amp sim's.
I think the modern sound is dry - I'm not a big fan of 'wet' vocals unless it's Enya or something - LOL. heh

I agree. The singer keeps getting on me about his vocals being too dry because I guess he likes that epic 80/90's rock. I prefer dryer vocals in general.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search