The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MIX THIS TRACK! Radio Rock- Stems inside
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Head

I found the most glaring thing with the drums overall was the monotony of the snare drum. I used a couple different snare sounds to get over this in my mix, anyone else feel this way?
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Maniac

Yeah, I find myself obsessively fixing a mix dozens of times after I think it's finished. Just my personality type I guess.
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicLab View Post
I found the most glaring thing with the drums overall was the monotony of the snare drum. I used a couple different snare sounds to get over this in my mix, anyone else feel this way?
Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I just made do with it. I hope it sounds good :/
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
word.... I didn't have any way to trigger anything else unfortunately and I didn't want to go in and replace every hit by hand.... like I did by building tom tracks.
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Okay, I raised the voice a tad and did some minor tweaks because this guy mumbles his way through the song sometimes and it's hard to figure out the words at times. I didn't want to raise the actual volume - because that was honestly fine - so I had to do some things to bring it out more.

I also lowered the bass volume at various points in the same. My monitors are crap at the bass frequencies, so they tend to be too high (at least according to everyone). I other devices to test the song on, and it all sounds good, but they can't really reproduce those 35-80hz very well.

I also like the highs on the bass... so I tend to boost the overall volume too. Anyway, this should sound more balanced. If I actually didn't need to lower the bass volume, I have backup of that older mix just in case.
Attached Files

Believe_Me.mp3 (9.51 MB, 129 views)

Old 24th January 2011
Gear Nut

Any chance you could re-post the original files? I'd like to give it a go but can't access the download anymore.

Thanks!
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Maniac

A few posts down, he mentioned this link:
https://files.me.com/zatp/z0hno0
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by egervari View Post
A few posts down, he mentioned this link:
https://files.me.com/zatp/z0hno0
Hmm... looks like that one doesn't work either...?
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Maniac

That sucks. I don't have the original zip - I actually just deleted it like 1 day ago. I have the wav files though from Sonar though. I guess I could zip it up again and put it on a dropbox account or something. Maybe he doesn't want that though and that's why he took it down.
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Maniac

I went back and did some minor tweaks, probably for the last time. The snare was bugging me. The tone is wrong for the song, and I don't have any good drum samples.

The original tracks didn't come with a room mic either, so I had to invent one using convulsion reverb.

I changed the tone of the snare a bit, and changed how the reverb was processed. I think the two changes fix the snare quite a bit. I also lowered the bass by .3 or .4 db.

The trick is not have the snare sounding overly compressed, which was one of the things I was constantly wrestling with.

It could all be fixed I guess if one were to go in, create midi hits for all the places of the snare, adjust all of the velocities and put the right sample in. That would be a lot of work though.
Attached Files

Believe_Me.mp3 (8.73 MB, 108 views)

Old 26th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Looks like I lied about making changes, lol.

I realized that the DI Bass was phase conflicting with the sm57 recording of it. I merged both in my mix. No wonder the bass was so messed up.

Once I inverted the phase on the sm57, the bass tone came through loud and clear, and the whole mix was messed. LOL. So I remixed it to get the bass to sound correct.

I updated the file above.
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I realized that the DI Bass was phase conflicting with the sm57 recording of it. I merged both in my mix. No wonder the bass was so messed up.

That was the first thing I did, pick a single bass track to use out of the three. Three bass tracks, yet no rack toms included in the tracks...odd indeed.
Old 27th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
word.... I didn't have any way to trigger anything else unfortunately and I didn't want to go in and replace every hit by hand.... like I did by building tom tracks.
You did very well, working with that original snare.
Old 27th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
That was the first thing I did, pick a single bass track to use out of the three. Three bass tracks, yet no rack toms included in the tracks...odd indeed.
I ended up using the Bass 52 track and the DI. Then i split the DI for some more radical EQing. So i was back to 3 tracks. When i first roughed in a mix i liked the 57 track the best, then never used it.
Old 27th January 2011
Gear Head

Some EQ tweaks. I think it smooths it out and "fits" better with other commercial recordings now. Comments welcome.
Attached Files

BM SONiC v3.mp3 (4.50 MB, 126 views)

Old 27th January 2011
Gear Head

@Crash

How'd you do that trippy guitar stuff in the verse? Pretty cool stuff thumbsup

thanks,
SONiC
Old 27th January 2011
Lives for gear

i liked mr princes mix the most and he's the only one that seemed to address the pitch issues on the guitar, which were pretty bad. i can't see how so many others missed it? that lead git leaped out at me as being sharp and flat in those legato lines especially should be retracked. i also liked mr princes vocals the most. great job on the lead vox

i listened to about 3 others briefly and most had the guitars too loud or too low (anguswood)
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
@Crash

How'd you do that trippy guitar stuff in the verse? Pretty cool stuff thumbsup

thanks,
SONiC
I think it was a modulating verb off of a Yamaha ProR3... I can't remember the preset number off hand but I want to say it might have 75... or was it 57? I went in and modified some parameters. The return of it is going through a Stereo widener to make it really wide and odd sounding.
Old 28th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Here's my mix.

I couldn't ditch my "producers hat" so went with the "radio" approach
and did quite a bit of arranging to the track. By radio standards, i could
still trim things down either further but since this isn't a real client
i decided to draw the line somewhere. :P

I flew parts all over and changed chords halfway through the verse etc
by copy/paste and a bit of melodyne for chords i couldn't quickly find.

I also mixed it with the "big american radio rock' aesthetic because i like
it and that seems to be what brief is.

I've pushed the level up (chorus averages around -10db) but didn't go
as loud as Zack's mix. (although the mix could easily go there..)

Thanks.
I really like what you have done here. This holds a very high standard.
Excellent work.

Btw, does someone have the original files? I wold love to mix this song as a learning experience.
Old 2nd February 2011
Here for the gear

Believe me mix

Hello All,

New to this forum, any help with uploading the song. I click on attachment to upload the file but does not respond as such.

David.
Old 2nd February 2011
Gear Maniac

Scroll down when you post and you'll see a button called "Manage attachments"

A window should popup. If it does not, then your popup blocker or something must be getting at it.

In the pop-up, there should multiple spots to upload many files. Browse on the first one, select the file and then press the "upload" button.

Wait until that finished. Don't submit your post yet. Just be patient

When it's finished uploading, close that popup window, and then finally you can submit your post in the original browser window.

---------------------

As an aside, I remastered this tune awhile ago differently and didn't update it. It proves my instructions work
Attached Files

Believe_Me.mp3 (8.68 MB, 90 views)

Old 2nd February 2011
Here for the gear

Wink Believe me mix

Egervari, thanks.

Loved the mix and master, awesome pro sound.

I mixed this song differently, despite the clients wishes! (free practice)

I had my doubts in uploading the song due to some inefficient equipment at my disposal. Can someone please take into account the vibe and feel of this particular mix? I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

David
Attached Files

Believe me 2 M.mp3 (939.0 KB, 109 views)

Old 4th February 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
So - I thought I would download the files and have a bit of a play.
2 hours later here I am - after midnight uploading a mix - LOL - should have been in bed hours ago.

The biggest issue I had was getting the toms to sit nicely without having to much hats / ride.
Was a real challenge - I'm still not happy - I reckon you should have close mic'ed the Toms individually as well as the Overheads.
Anyway here it is.
It's not mastered - just straight off the console so the level is down a bit.
I used a fair whack of HEAT which I dig. (I'm on PT HD)
I didn't worry about automation either - really the lead gtr that plays all thru the song should be automated to make room for the vocal but I didn't bother.
(BTW - I didn't use any Reverb at all.)

PS - after listening to the song over and over for the last 2 hours I really like it - great vocalist - hope it does well.
great mix!
Old 4th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacar View Post
Egervari, thanks.

Loved the mix and master, awesome pro sound.

I mixed this song differently, despite the clients wishes! (free practice)

I had my doubts in uploading the song due to some inefficient equipment at my disposal. Can someone please take into account the vibe and feel of this particular mix? I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

David
It doesn't sound mixed. The guitars, bass, drums, etc. are all clashes and stomping on each other as if it hundreds of things were happening at once. They need to be EQ'd.

Also, the track sounds mono. You need to pan things left and right to separate them.

The guitars need to be distorted. They need to be run through some kind of amp simulator because those guitars are just the plain DI... which was not intended to sound like that straight up.
Old 4th February 2011
Lives for gear

another "in between sessions"-song. Man I love mixing other people's music :D I hope someone out there likes it
btw I still have the original zip - if it's ok for Zack I'd send it to the guy who needs it - but I wanna have his ok first
Attached Files

Believe_studjo 1.mp3 (8.76 MB, 152 views)

Old 4th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogineer View Post
Any chance you could re-post the original files? I'd like to give it a go but can't access the download anymore.

Thanks!

yeah, I would love to give it a shot also. Too bad it's not available anymore. I hope the OP comes back and posts the files again!!
Old 4th February 2011
Gear Addict

I also would like to take a crack at it.
Old 5th February 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc Sabourin View Post
yeah, I would love to give it a shot also. Too bad it's not available anymore. I hope the OP comes back and posts the files again!!
Me too
Old 16th February 2011
Here for the gear

Believe me

Quote:
It doesn't sound mixed. The guitars, bass, drums, etc. are all clashes and stomping on each other as if it hundreds of things were happening at once. They need to be EQ'd.

Also, the track sounds mono. You need to pan things left and right to separate them.

The guitars need to be distorted. They need to be run through some kind of amp simulator because those guitars are just the plain DI... which was not intended to sound like that straight up.
I guess i should have stressed upon the vibe and feel and not so much the mix. Now, i know why the pros use monitors. As for the guitars they did go through some distortion... not your typical heavy type modern style that was asked for this song. I took it somewhere else, as a input or matter of opinion for the band. (still wondering why only 20 secs of the song downloaded)

Thanks for the input!

David.
Old 17th February 2011
Gear Head

Keeps telling me files are no longer available for download. :(

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search