The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MIX THIS TRACK! Radio Rock- Stems inside
Old 5th January 2011
Quote:
Hey fHumble

I'll have a go at critique since you're so inviting

I did not read any feed back on your mix strangely enough …
Thanks very much, Pat! I was hoping if I gave a little, someone would return the favour... You've restored my faith in the principles of reciprocity!

Quote:
Ok. What you did to this drum kit, and especially that kick/snare pair, just smashes all the rest ... So your mix is the best sounding one in this respect. period.
Wow, thanks! - I was kinda thinking that maybe I got it a little wrong stylistically - Upon completion of the mix, I was really happy with the results I got on the drums, because I was really trying to create a more organic sound, but after listening to Captain's mix, I'll admit I was a little envious the BIG wide screen type of sound he achieved with his drums ...

...but to answer your question, I didn't use the kick & snare provided - since they were samples anyway, I didn't feel like I was cheating if I used my own. I actually triggered Addictive Drums for the kick & snare as well as the toms. I have both BFD2 & some Slate stuff, but AD works so well in a lot of situations (I don't use their presets much at all): They were dry samples (ie. absolutely no processing within Addictive Drums) of the Sonar Designer kit - 14 x 5' snare & 24 x 18' kick. I rendered separate top & bottom snare samples & inside & outside kick samples, which I then processed using UAD2's Neve 88R console strip on the kick & snare, as well as a little bit more flavour eq from UAD's Pultec on the snare. I used some parallel drum "snap" processing on both the snare & toms, sending both to UAD's transient designer set for attack only. The snare has more parallel "sustain" processing using Cakewalk's humble little FX2 Tape Sim plugin. The snare has plate reverb courtesy of Perfect Space's "Snare Top" impulse.

The interesting thing was the overheads - Did anyone else notice how unbalanced they sounded? The imaging was all screwed up, so I re-adjusted the left/right balance so that it sounded like the hats were one side & ride on the other... Once I'd done that, I combined the OH signal with the OH samples (only) from Addictive Drums (ommitting the floor tom because it was already there)... I balanced the levels so that it sounded comparable with a full Sonar kit & cymbals in the overheads of Addictive Drums. It was then just a matter of mixing it like a regular kit - close mics + overheads. I also created a "fake room mic" channel in a similar manner to what I did with the overheads, using the room mics from Addictive Drums & a radically altered version of the supplied OH mics. I slammed the room mic with SSL Listen Mic comp, then triggered it from the snare via a side-chain gate setup.

I sent the all the drum signals to a buss with UAD's Fatso over the drum group, followed by a little more eq. spice from UAD's Pultec. That's about it, I think....

...I bet you regret asking, now!heh

Quote:
LV I think is hindered by the guitars during 1st verse : yup, they get in my way. Check captains treatment of a build up in this spot ?
I did actually painstakingly automate the lead to duck the vocals during the verses, but I guess it just wasn't as effective as I imagined it to be...(for some reason it reminded me of the lead line from Pearl Jam's "Alive"), but yes, I agree, Captain's arrangement is a stroke of genius.

Quote:
The guitar solos could really be pushed all the way up ... not a good time for shyness here …
Another good point....I'm a guitarist (isn't everyone?) & I tend to always overthink & second-guess their volume, because my first reaction is to turn-em UP - instantly followed by the thought" "Oh NO! They're too loud... turn em down!"

Quote:
Your panned BVs at 3:45 are cool and the ending ones too
Again : love your drums !!!
Thanks mate, I really appreciate the thoughtful critique... I learned a LOT from this mix! thumbsup
Old 5th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fHumble fHingaz View Post
Leaky24: A Big sounding mix, with nice up-front vocals... The overheads sound strange & "whooshy" - a compression artifact perhaps? The mix is really bright in the top end, which is emphasizine the overly loud ride cymbal. There's some major low-mid mud coming from one of the guitars - really noticeable under the guitar solo - it completely obliterates the bass- I think it maybe their for the rest of the song as well, but lower in volume, so unusually the mix sounds both bright in the top end & muddy in the bottom at the same time.
Thanks for this fHumble fHingaz i'll have a listen to the overheads and check the compression.

The guitars i knew there was something going on but couldn't figure it out so thanks again for listening.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Dudevico: considering your modesty, this mix ain't all bad - the bass guitar end is a bit out of proportion with the rest of the mix, though...has the effect of making the drums sound quite small - & the snare is small & over-compressed sounding (sounds more like a cross-stick at times), so that doesn't help matters. Guitars & vocals sound pretty good.
Hey, thanks man, always fun to get an opinion Yeah, when I referenced the mix after posting it, I noticed that I kinda botched the bass. I can't afford a sub yet, so my monitor section consists of a couple of Adam a5x's (nothing wrong with them, but the lower frequency output is a bit tame). I'll def look into the snare, I'm super inexperienced and still trying to figure out the basics of compression so I guess I overdid it a bit Anyways, thanks for the critique!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Here's my mix.

I couldn't ditch my "producers hat" so went with the "radio" approach
and did quite a bit of arranging to the track. By radio standards, i could
still trim things down either further but since this isn't a real client
i decided to draw the line somewhere. :P

I flew parts all over and changed chords halfway through the verse etc
by copy/paste and a bit of melodyne for chords i couldn't quickly find.

I also mixed it with the "big american radio rock' aesthetic because i like
it and that seems to be what brief is.

I've pushed the level up (chorus averages around -10db) but didn't go
as loud as Zack's mix. (although the mix could easily go there..)

Thanks.
Dude, this sounds awesome! Definitely took the song up a notch. Props!thumbsup
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Crash: a really different angle on this mix - vocals are great... Good contrast in the verse & chorus guitar tones, although I do think the tones are very muted-sounding & need more high-mids/ more hp filtering to carry the song properly. Drums sound good, but are a little small-sounding. The mix kind of falls apart a bit in the second guitar solo.... but good to hear a unique & bold take on it.
I can live with some of these opinions. The drums were a pain to work with as you know. The OH balances were all kinds of screwy... and there were no recorded rack toms and the big fight was getting the kit to sound like it was a kit for lack of a better word, and not a bunch of sounds simulating a kit. The one comment you made that I am looking for clarification on is "the mix kind of falls apart during the 2nd guitar solo" statement. I am not sure I follow or understand what you mean as nothing there really changes other than the 2nd guitar solo begins. I just replaced my original mix with a newer one that has different buss comp settings. I was hearing some oddities on some systems with with the old version. The mix is the same, but master buss compression different.

It is cool to see how everybody did something a little (or a lot) different.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Head

whats with the distortion just before the build into the next section at around 2.22 on Captinhooks mix-might want to check that out
Also i was going to try this but are those drums replaced? Sound quite plastic to me
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshalpha View Post
Also i was going to try this but are those drums replaced? Sound quite plastic to me
Kick and snare were samples. No rack toms were tracked, only floor tom and stereo OH's.... at least that is how I remember it and I believe what the "read me" file confirmed as I recall when I downloaded these tracks.
Old 6th January 2011
Quote:
The drums were a pain to work with as you know. The OH balances were all kinds of screwy... and there were no recorded rack toms and the big fight was getting the kit to sound like it was a kit for lack of a better word, and not a bunch of sounds simulating a kit.
Yeah, as I explained in my post, I had to jump through a lot of hoops to try & overcome that.

Quote:
The one comment you made that I am looking for clarification on is "the mix kind of falls apart during the 2nd guitar solo" statement.
It was just my general impression that the combination of sounds at that point in the songs didn't make a cohesive whole - like it was people playing different parts together, that didn't really seem to add up to a song... I don't know why it only occurred during the 2nd solo, as opposed to the 1st, but as I said, it could be just the "chemistry" created by that particular combination of sounds. ??? That's the best I can explain it...
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

It was just my general impression that the combination of sounds at that point in the songs didn't make a cohesive whole - like it was people playing different parts together, that didn't really seem to add up to a song... I don't know why it only occurred during the 2nd solo, as opposed to the 1st, but as I said, it could be just the "chemistry" created by that particular combination of sounds. ??? That's the best I can explain it...

Its a timing issue. I listened to it again and it seems like the track with the second guitar solo got nudged over enough to throw it all off, which just turns the whole mix for that section into a distraction. Id need to reference another mix but I think his solo come ins a bit early.

Move it over and everything should click and fall into place. thumbsup
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrick View Post
Its a timing issue. I listened to it again and it seems like the track with the second guitar solo got nudged over enough to throw it all off, which just turns the whole mix for that section into a distraction. Id need to reference another mix but I think his solo come ins a bit early.

Move it over and everything should click and fall into place. thumbsup
I think that is the only thing it could be... When I get a chance, maybe this weekend, I'll have to go look at it and make sure it went where it was supposed to timewise when it was slung into the playlist. Thanks boys...
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear
Hmmm, i might try this one now...haven't listened to anyones mix yet...i wanna get a rough idea down first before i listen to anyone else's ideas to sort of gauge my own decisions haha...look forward to hearing some of the mixes though! (just waiting for this 600+mb download...)
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Head

Hello,

Great mixes everybody!

Here is my mix.
I have to confess that I "borrowed" some ideas from here and there and tried to put everything that I liked into one mix.Maybe I failed but at least I had great fun messing around with this awesome track.

Looking forward to hear some opinions!
Attached Files

Believe me.mp3 (7.70 MB, 151 views)

Old 7th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkaf View Post
Hello,

Great mixes everybody!

Here is my mix.
I have to confess that I "borrowed" some ideas from here and there and tried to put everything that I liked into one mix.Maybe I failed but at least I had great fun messing around with this awesome track.

Looking forward to hear some opinions!
Very nice mix, Johnkaf - BIG sound & very full - I really like the way you handled the middle 8 - a great little idea that emphasizes the dynamics in the arrangement... perhaps grabbing a crash & kick from the ending of the song would have made it seem less like the drums are "cut off" there & more like a drummer would play a stop. Still, top job!
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Very nice mix, Johnkaf - BIG sound & very full - I really like the way you handled the middle 8 - a great little idea that emphasizes the dynamics in the arrangement... perhaps grabbing a crash & kick from the ending of the song would have made it seem less like the drums are "cut off" there & more like a drummer would play a stop. Still, top job!
Thank you very much fHingaz!
I hear you on the arrangement change at the bridge.
While listening to the lyrics I heard "and all of the sudden you had the urge to make a change" so I decided to make it a little bit more like a straightforward cut-off -rather than a scheduled break- to match up with the lyrics.
Well, I will certainly try it and if I find some time I will post back with an updated version.
Thank you again!
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Head

Here's an updated version:

I've mixed this one a little heavier (higher gain guitars).
I have also added a kick and a crash at the start of the bridge as fHingaz suggested.

I hope you like it!
Attached Files

Believe me (updated-master).mp3 (7.70 MB, 196 views)

Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear
Ok here is my mix that i just did on my logic on my MBP and headphones, i'll be able to redo it on my main studio computer on the weekend with proper monitors...
Attached Files

Believe me mix.mp3 (7.86 MB, 135 views)

Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Here is an updated mix with some very slight changes. Mostly to get the guitar solo back where it should be in time. It was out slightly upon a 2nd look, not sure what happened. Also gave the chorus guitars a slight bit more bite.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Smile

I downloaded the tracks the other day, thinking I would use them to learn Reaper. After messing with it a few times, I decided Reaper wasn't ready for prime time (on mac anyway.) I did like the song, though, so thought I'd upload my mix, done in Cubase.

I did some things a little different, with muting rhythm guitars in various sections, etc.

Anyway, I spent about 2 hours, which I should have been spending on paying mix projects! (I would do some more editing if I had time, the chorus's seem to be hitting a little weird at the top of each.)

Check it out, if anyone still cares!
Attached Files

Believe.mp3 (8.44 MB, 145 views)

Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Listening to some of the other mixes, I have to say that I really dig Captian Hook's a lot! Keeps you listening with lots of little repeats, effects, etc.

It's amazing the diversity you get, considering that this is a pretty straightforward song.

It would've been nice to have tom tracks, and I miss having a little snare in the OHs, but otherwise it was pretty easy to work with.

It was interesting, Reaper imported tracks as mono tracks with panning information, and showed the section markers. Cubase split the tracks into two mono tracks, no marker info.

My complaints with Reaper (if anyone uses it) had to do with many plug-ins not loading. Weird. But seems like a cool program if you can get past the interface!
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Head

Smile Revist and Edit

Hello again,

Decided to give my version of the mix a Revisit, an Edit & a Very Slight Master for Leveling.

Revisit - Slight Mix, EQ, Automation & FX send adjustments.

Edit - 'Just for fun' an edit leading into the solo to keep a strong flow.

Master - 'Slight' Compression and Leveling.

Attached Files

Revisit.mp3 (8.41 MB, 127 views)

Old 17th January 2011
Gear Nut
My attempt on a mix =)
Done on my akg headset (might be a bit low), since our control/mixing room is in the progress of beeing rebuilt with our monitors and mac beeing somewhere completely else than i want them (aka not in my flat)
Attached Files

Believe Me Mixdown 3.mp3 (7.72 MB, 116 views)

Old 21st January 2011
Gear Head

Big thanks for putting these files up for all to enjoy.
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Head

Smile

I think this mix came out pretty good. As recordlike™ as i can make it.

Updated Version Here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6267872-post104.html

SONiC
Attached Files

BM Sonic v2.mp3 (4.50 MB, 97 views)

Last edited by SonicLab; 27th January 2011 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: added update link
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Maniac

I'll take this challenge. I'll post a mix later.
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Maniac

Here's my first rough mix of this track.

My intention was to mix it radio-like, because it seemed that's what the artist was going for.

I do intend to finish this mix, but I wanted to take a break. After 4 or so hours, my ears get fatigued and so it's best I stop mixing

There's a number of things to still look at, like shaping sounds a bit more clearer, doing some finer adjustment of levels, do some specific treatment to the vocals (too soft/loud and maybe too much compression), etc. I probably have too much reverb in places too, but it's hard to tell after hearing it for so long. I'd also like to make the verses and choruses more different from each other.

Oh well. I will finish it later, so this is just a first rough mix of it.

Thanks for releasing the files. Just what I wanted to do today!

Oh, is there a prize for the best mix? Just curious.

Enjoy.
Attached Files

Believe_Me.mp3 (8.60 MB, 98 views)

Old 21st January 2011
Gear Maniac

Okay, I re-uploaded my mix. Lots of small changes. Really sounding good now. Enjoy.
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by egervari View Post
Okay, I re-uploaded my mix. Lots of small changes. Really sounding good now. Enjoy.
It sounds nice and big. The only issue I have is that I hear some sort of compressor pumping that is making the OH's sound swishy. Are you running some master bus compression? I hear some pumping a bit on the lead vocal too, but the OH's are the stand out offenders.

The tamborine is popping in and out quite a bit, maybe also from the compression??

Nice guitar tones.
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Maniac

You're right! I can't believe I didn't pick that out. I think when I set up that drum compression bus, it was fine, but then I made a bunch of changes over several hours and just didn't check it again =)

I have a hard time recognizing bumping because I get really happy whenever my mixes are starting to vibe and I start moving to it sometimes, so I often think the pumping is me

I also backed off a bit on the vocal compression. I actually noticed this after I listened to the mix on headphones after I uploaded it. It's easier to tell these things.

I'll update the file above.
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by egervari View Post
You're right! I can't believe I didn't pick that out. I think when I set up that drum compression bus, it was fine, but then I made a bunch of changes over several hours and just didn't check it again =)

I have a hard time recognizing bumping because I get really happy whenever my mixes are starting to vibe and I start moving to it sometimes, so I often think the pumping is me

I also backed off a bit on the vocal compression. I actually noticed this after I listened to the mix on headphones after I uploaded it. It's easier to tell these things.

I'll update the file above.
I always end up with around 5 mixes when it is all said and done. Same thing, I always catch something after the fact. It is true, you never really finish a record, you just give up....
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
It sounds nice and big. The only issue I have is that I hear some sort of compressor pumping that is making the OH's sound swishy. Are you running some master bus compression? I hear some pumping a bit on the lead vocal too, but the OH's are the stand out offenders.

The tamborine is popping in and out quite a bit, maybe also from the compression??

Nice guitar tones.
Good ear to pick out that drum compression.
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
It is true, you never really finish a record, you just give up....
agreed

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search