The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MIX THIS TRACK! Radio Rock- Stems inside
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Nice mixes everyone!
Would check it out if I had the time!
Really liked the Dead fret song! good screaming!
You should make sure that the kick is cutting through in every song, I think it was a tad bit low in some parts of one or two of the songs!
Really fat guitars!

cheers from Sweden
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Updated with final mix! The links are the same as above, I just swapped the files!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackpennington View Post
This is a very creative approach to this mix. I like the funk vibe on the lead tone! Well done.
Thank you Zack, I'm glade you liked it!

Thanks for sharing the tracks, it was a fun song to work with
Old 29th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackpennington View Post
I agree. The singer keeps getting on me about his vocals being too dry because I guess he likes that epic 80/90's rock. I prefer dryer vocals in general.
You need to talk him out of that - he is a great vocalist - he doesn't need to 'hide' his vocal.

I'm assuming it's the sound you're chasing but your mixes sound a bit scooped in the mids.
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Also posted this on the other forum, but i thought id post it here aswell to see what you think of my mix.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10010222/B%20M%20Mix.mp3

Let me know how it sounds. Thanks.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I have to agree with Rif and anguswoodhead on this, I think the drums are the weakest link here. I admit, I am not a fan of the slate drums, they sound sterile to me, and as anguswoodhead mentioned, the song would benefit from real drums in a real room. The hybrid setup doesn't give one the aural effect of placing the drums within a believable sound stage and trying to match the room of the toms/OH with the snare, (which I think the snare is very important to define where the walls are within the room), is what is not working (for me). And the "machine gun" snare gets annoying.
I really like the song, it has the potential, the vocalist really has a strong voice, I think you did a really good job tracking him! From an arrangement perspective, I think the guitar solo's are not needed - not that they are bad or anything, just not needed.
I like the mix by Rif, and anguswood ( anguswoodhead's better, but both good). I prefer those to the original mix, because it has a more organic feel. I like the vocals more upfront, which I also think will be more radio friendly.
For me, I did one mix with amp sims, and I didn't like that at all, so I've reamped the guitar's and have those good, but I'm still fighting the drums. I tried putting up a mic in front of my monitors, and playing back just the drum tracks to simulate a room sound, and it helped, but has that programed "feel".
Zack, I do thank you for posting this, because I do find it very challenging. I hope I am not comming off as negative, because I do think you did a very good job, my problem with this song is really just with the drums. If I get it worked out, with how I hear it in my head, I'll post my mix, but if it were my project, I would retrack drums.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Zack, any idea what key this tune is in? I looked over the read me file but did not see a mention of key.
Old 1st January 2011
Some great mixes so far! I had a bit of time over the break, so I thought I'd do this one for practice... I didn't listen to the original until after I'd finished mine.

The song is really interesting...Usually when you get the drums & bass happening, the structure of the song starts to reveal itself clearly, but in this case, each element plays a critical role in the song structure (well almost), so that the whole is truly greater than the sum of it's parts.

Thanks to Zack for putting up the tracks... I learned a lot by doing it (as I always do with each new mix!)

...anyway, have a listen & let me know how I did!
Attached Files

Believe Me (fHumble mIx).mp3 (9.14 MB, 726 views)

Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

Hello all,
First of all, zackpennington, thanks for posting. I had fun.

While working on the tracks I thought of some tips, but others have given them already; mostly about the drum tracks, doing some pitch correction on guitars and vocals and the solo's not really adding to the song. Don't get me wrong: I like it and I think it's catchy.

Now about my mix;
I doubled up some drum tracks using superior drummer (kick, snare, cymbals) and because I just got myself a new organ VST I couldn't resist to add a small organ part. Sorry about that :-)
I also recreated the Strings using QL Symf. Orchestra's cellos (but not all the notes because the chords got to thick and unrealistic).

Getting toms and ride bell right was indeed the hardest part.

If you like any of the parts that I created (organ, strings, cymbals) I'll be happy to export them for you. Seems like the least thing I could do :-)
Attached Files

believe_me_44100_16.mp3 (7.85 MB, 821 views)

Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

hey guys nice song heres my mix let me know what u think?
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

sorry
Attached Files

Believe me.mp3 (5.19 MB, 251 views)

Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Here is how my buddy and I heard it unfold. And yes, I know that the intro guitar parts are gone, it was by design. We started a couple of days ago and I had to finish it up today due to time constraints. Anyway, it was a fun tune to play with. Thanks Zack, for sharing, hope you enjoy our rendition of the song.

EDIT: The updated mix is further down on page 3 of this thread. I have removed the old mix from here.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrick View Post
UPDATE: Heres the direction ive been going with it. Was really pushing Fab Filters Pro-L with this one.

I only wish I had melodyne or something, there are a few vocal notes and a few sections of the lead guitar (not the two solo guitars towards the end) that really stick out to me. Other than that I really like this track.

I like this mix.thumbsup
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Here is how my buddy and I heard it unfold. And yes, I know that the intro guitar parts are gone, it was by design. We started a couple of days ago and I had to finish it up today due to time constraints. Anyway, it was a fun tune to play with. Thanks Zack, for sharing, hope you enjoy our rendition of the song.

Love the lead vocal in this mix sounds very smooth great work.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
Love the lead vocal in this mix sounds very smooth great work.
I appreciate the comment, thanks.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I appreciate the comment, thanks.
As well the kick is very interesting.
It is there has little dynamic but the dynamic is not fully dead I still can feel it.

How have you done that???
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
As well the kick is very interesting.
It is there has little dynamic but the dynamic is not fully dead I still can feel it.

How have you done that???
I just used the Kick that Zack provided. I rolled a lot of the sub low out of it. It has a ton of "808" vibe going on in the bottom end. I also dialed out some stuff in the 2-4 k range, trying to get a more organic sound. Other than that, I didn't really do anything to it. The entire kit comes up in volume in the choruses a db or two, maybe that is what you are hearing.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Question

Quote:
I just used the Kick that Zack provided. I rolled a lot of the sub low out of it. It has a ton of "808" vibe going on in the bottom end. I also dialed out some stuff in the 2-4 k range, trying to get a more organic sound. Other than that, I didn't really do anything to it. The entire kit comes up in volume in the choruses a db or two, maybe that is what you are hearing.
Low end is for real a problem for me at this time.

For me kick drums if real or 808 etc. end up having to much 3-4 k often like they are already tracked with this smack smack, or they have a decay that is smearing thorough the mix and the kick with this decay never sits right.

I ask myself while I training to get better at the low end if professionals mix under a real kick some electronic kicks to get them sit well together!!
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks for this!

I had a go with it. It's my first mix with more stuff in it than me singing and an acoustic guitar, so I found it quite challenging and I learned a lot from it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17953818/Bel...o%20mix-01.mp3

It doesn't sound nearly as good as most mixes posted here, but I had a great time doing it. I really noticed problem areas with my room when mixing (its totally untreated), they havent been as apparent when doing mellow, acoustic music. Seems like my next project will be building bass traps! heh

Thanks again Zack!
Old 5th January 2011
Ok, so since no one else is doing anything about critiquing mixes, despite numerous invitations to do so, I thought I have a go - perhaps just a few on this page.

Leaky24: A Big sounding mix, with nice up-front vocals... The overheads sound strange & "whooshy" - a compression artifact perhaps? The mix is really bright in the top end, which is emphasizine the overly loud ride cymbal. There's some major low-mid mud coming from one of the guitars - really noticeable under the guitar solo - it completely obliterates the bass- I think it maybe their for the rest of the song as well, but lower in volume, so unusually the mix sounds both bright in the top end & muddy in the bottom at the same time.

Mr Prince: Mix sounds good to me - balanced & controlled - rhythm guitars could perhaps give way to the vocals a little bit eq wise - a little bit of a fight happening there in the 3-4k range perhaps? (I'm being super picky), although it's pretty noticeable in the middle 8...yeah maybe back the aggressive high-mids in the guitars down a tad. Overall a good job!

Elkechon: A bit of a muffled sounding mix that needs the low end cleaned up with some hp filtering - drums are quite thuddy without much sustain. On the positive side, vocals sound great! Bass also not really distinct in the bottom end, again eq. sculpting & balancing the different bass signals would bring out the clarity & melodicism in the bass line. I quite like the slightly jangly Vox-like guitar sound you chose for the rhythm guitar - perhaps emphasising that kinda cleanish angle in the other rhythm guitar would have been good too. I think the leads probably needed a bit more gain to really work well.

Crash: a really different angle on this mix - vocals are great... Good contrast in the verse & chorus guitar tones, although I do think the tones are very muted-sounding & need more high-mids/ more hp filtering to carry the song properly. Drums sound good, but are a little small-sounding. The mix kind of falls apart a bit in the second guitar solo.... but good to hear a unique & bold take on it.

Dudevico: considering your modesty, this mix ain't all bad - the bass guitar end is a bit out of proportion with the rest of the mix, though...has the effect of making the drums sound quite small - & the snare is small & over-compressed sounding (sounds more like a cross-stick at times), so that doesn't help matters. Guitars & vocals sound pretty good.

dmm: overall, the mix sounds pretty balanced instrumentally. Guitars are a little loud / fighting with the vocals. The bass is not really carrying the song that well - a little bit of an also-ran fighting for space with the guitars. Guitar have a strange slight "artificiality" about them - can't really put my finger on it.

....See! Critiquing...It's not that hard, is it? If no-one says anything, no-one learns anything.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Here's my mix.

I couldn't ditch my "producers hat" so went with the "radio" approach
and did quite a bit of arranging to the track. By radio standards, i could
still trim things down either further but since this isn't a real client
i decided to draw the line somewhere. :P

I flew parts all over and changed chords halfway through the verse etc
by copy/paste and a bit of melodyne for chords i couldn't quickly find.

I also mixed it with the "big american radio rock' aesthetic because i like
it and that seems to be what brief is.

I've pushed the level up (chorus averages around -10db) but didn't go
as loud as Zack's mix. (although the mix could easily go there..)

Thanks.
Attached Files
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

fHumble fHingaz ~ critiquing well is actually a skill on its own, so dont be surprised
if not that many dive in to do it. If you enjoy it, keep it up.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Captain, I really like your mix, great job!

I've added a bit of mojo for fun.
Attached Files
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks. Initially i made it as loud as your mojo version (maybe louder?) cause
i'm used to having to do that, but thought it maybe wasn't that appropriate for this..

But thanks for your version, sounds good on my cans.

FGX?
Old 5th January 2011
Superb sounding mix Captain! I must admit, that big, slick, American Radio Rock sound isn't my thing at all, (& millions disagree vehemently with me!)but you've done it down to a tee here & it really sounds lovely. If I was being super-duper picky, there are a couple of areas in the vocals/harmonies that sound the slightest bit clumsy, but that could be said of even the best of all the mixes here. The production changes are very tasteful & (I think) an improvement... Top job!

Quote:
fHumble fHingaz ~ critiquing well is actually a skill on its own, so dont be surprised
if not that many dive in to do it. If you enjoy it, keep it up.
IMO everyone who wants to learn how to mix should learn how to critique... after all, isn't that what we do when we pull up the faders on the raw tracks? Critiquing mixes is just critical listening, the most basic essential mixing skill...We first need to analyze what needs to be done... then we can do it. Personally, I've found this has been one of the most important habits that has improved my mixing skills.

Think about it: How do all the Big Boys get so good? They critically analyze (& of course work on) hundreds, if not thousands of mixes a year. I figured, if I can critique only 3 mixes a day on forums like this one, that amounts to over 1000 mixes per year... that's experience & practice for your ears you can't buy. You're not born with golden ears, they're built mix by mix. That's why I'll encourage others to do it every opportunity I get... Help yourself, while you're helping others & "pay it forward". It's win win... Try it!
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
FGX?
Nope. heh
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fHumble fHingaz View Post
Critiquing mixes is just critical listening
Its tough to distinguish between personal preference though. Critical listening
can reveal that (for instance) there may be a lot of "low-end" on the kick drum.
Choosing to keep that or not (or even add it in the first place) is an artistic
decision. Distortion on a vocal may be a technical fumble. Or it could be by design.

Listening to a mix and being able to tell if it effectively communicates the song
is really what should be focused on, and that's not easy. Also, being able to
determine what stands in the way of a song, or what works for it is sometimes
not very apparent unless you try to mix the material yourself. I think mixing and
our job in general is really an art of making sense of comparisons.
"Is it better like this, or this?"

Thanks for your comments though. I would like to know what area of the vocals
seem clumsy to you, it may be the performance or something i could have addressed
better.

I understand if the aesthetic is not your thing. Seems to be a love it or hate it sound.
Old 5th January 2011
Quote:
I would like to know what area of the vocals
seem clumsy to you, it may be the performance or something i could have addressed
better.
Specifically, the word "believe" @ 2:23, & most of the other places where it occurs... This was problematic when I mixed it, particularly when automating the vocals to get intelligibility on that main line so that it doesn't sound like it's saying "leeeeaaave me".... anyway, there's some flamming happening between the lead & harmony vocals on that "be" part of believe.... as I said...I'm being very picky, but I think you can take it!heh

Quote:
Its tough to distinguish between personal preference though.
As mix engineers, I know we should be able to put aside your personal preferences & try to understand the artist's intention & realize that. So when I critique mixes, I try very much to take that into account... That's why I prefaced my critique of your mix by stating exactly that point, that I was putting aside my personal preference, & I think you got that point, because of this comment...

Quote:
I understand if the aesthetic is not your thing.
... so in most of my critiques, I try to focus on technical basics of the mix, where possible, because this is usually where a fresh, independent ear can be of most help for a guy/gal who's been so focussed on the one thing for many hours.

True, in the end, it's just another opinion, & the reader can take it or leave it,... but considering that many posters specifically request critique, hopefully it's a helpful opinion.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
...anyway, have a listen & let me know how I did!
Hey fHumble

I'll have a go at critique since you're so inviting

I did not read any feed back on your mix strangely enough …

Ok. What you did to this drum kit, and especially that kick/snare pair, just smashes all the rest ... So your mix is the best sounding one in this respect. period.
LV I think is hindered by the guitars during 1st verse : yup, they get in my way. Check captains treatment of a build up in this spot ?
The guitar solos could really be pushed all the way up ... not a good time for shyness here …
Your panned BVs at 3:45 are cool and the ending ones too
Again : love your drums !!!

dmm : nice mix, despite a bass that does not stand out that much as captain stated. It's ok, my cans and I had a good time. Also, your panned rhythm guitars are nicely gritty, though a bit loud during verses, especially compared to the LV … An LV should rule during a verse, I think...

captain : maybe too much autotune on the vox ? I think I hear some artifacts lurking here and there …
What you do arrangement wise at 3:30 is so obviously needed and dead on … nice oxygen break for my gasping hears…
Also, the way you take advantage of the panned guitars picking is also very well done !
As for the general tone and balance of your mix : crystal clear definition - I roger that thks

Rif: too bad all your links are dead right now… could not check your mix out yet.

zackpennington : THKS for launching that mix club… very much appreciated. Your mix kicks ass, though I have one reserve is arrangement wise (and repeating myself too) ... These guitars and that lick may well need to make way to the LV anytime LV is here, especially at verse 1.
Song build up… Dynamics… Breathing… etc… the good old rope/rule that always works, as captain as superbly demonstrated.

Damn, I'm tempted to have a go myself now ...I'd make a fool of myself, sure… but what the heck … Critique is learning huh ?

Cheers
Patrick
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Specifically, the word "believe" @ 2:23, & most of the other places where it occurs... This was problematic when I mixed it, particularly when automating the vocals to get intelligibility on that main line so that it doesn't sound like it's saying "leeeeaaave me".... anyway, there's some flamming happening between the lead & harmony vocals on that "be" part of believe.... as I said...I'm being very picky, but I think you can take it!heh
Ah yes, i know what you're talking about and agree. It did jump out to me
several times also but always when i was doing other things and i forgot to
get back to it. Plain oversight. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat38 View Post
I think I hear some artifacts lurking here and there …
I created some harmonies with melodyne and the artifacts on those parts are very apparent
to me also. There is autotune running live on the LV also (i normally edit in graphical mode)
so it could well be that too. Thanks for your comments on the arrangement.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search