The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BFD 2 Drum track mixing Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

BFD 2 Drum track mixing

I love BFD. I also hate it. Aside from all the performance issues with it on my somewhat capable machine I'm extremely frustrated with trying to get drum mixes that I'm happy with.

My first issue is that I'm no a pro and have no formal training, nor spent much time in the studio....but I feel like my experimentation over the years does render me somewhat knowledgeable—and at this point I've spent too much time studying and reading/listening to too many audio engineering books/cds to be coming up so empty handed. I've never been book smart, I need somebody to teach me.

The following link is to an album of friend of a friend:
marsh listen to the drum kit at the beginning of "Never Easy".

I spent 3 hours last night trying to replicate that kit sound to no avail. Not even close (although I did come up with something cool...:P). I'm just looking for some basic mixing guidance here on what might be going on in that mix.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Well, that's a killer drum sound. Good luck getting that with BFD2! I haven't used BFD myself, so I can't say whether it can or cannot achieve that sound.

It's a very Led Zep sort of sounds, which means lots of room mic, and a low tuned kit. To even approach that in BFD2 you'll need to load up a kit with nice low tuning. I don't know what BFD2 has in the way of room mics, but you'll want to experiment with them. It sounds like it could even be a 'front of kick' mic that is providing a lot of that tone. That's where a lot of the character in those "Marsh" drums is coming from.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search