The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Heavy Critique (itb Rock/ambient track) Audio Interfaces
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Heavy Critique (itb Rock/ambient track)

Hi everyone,

I wrote and played every instrument except bass guitar (which was covered by my friend) for this song. It was mixed totally itb through my BLA 896HD into Logic.

Please comment and critique anything you can think of!

Thanks,

Wade
Attached Files

Hear You Sing.mp3 (6.02 MB, 128 views)

Old 21st December 2010
I dig it! Snare sounds a little too dry and loose for my tastes, but that's just personal preference. That's really the main thing that sticks out to me though.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks! Anyone else?
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

Hey, I dig the l sound and ambient of the song!
The only thing that distracts my attention a little bit, is the rather dry snare.
I would use a reverb on it just to give it some space and spread.
I would also bring down a few db at about 6-7 kHz on the snare.

I think also that the bass needs some enhancement too, its really tight but I'd add some db at about 70-100 Hz.

Other than these few things based entirely on my personal preference, I think, overall, the song sounds great!
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkaf View Post
Hey, I dig the l sound and ambient of the song!
The only thing that distracts my attention a little bit, is the rather dry snare.
I would use a reverb on it just to give it some space and spread.
I would also bring down a few db at about 6-7 kHz on the snare.

I think also that the bass needs some enhancement too, its really tight but I'd add some db at about 70-100 Hz.

Other than these few things based entirely on my personal preference, I think, overall, the song sounds great!
I hear you on the snare. It's probably the brightness of the bottom snare mic that you don't like. I may try to take some of that out. Re: reverb.. both snare mics have a decent amount already on there. You would add more?

I'll also give the bass another listen and see what I can do.

Thanks!
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Head

Great song and excellent performances, especially the vocals.

I agree with what the others said. The snare sticks out a bit in the top end, and could stand to have more verb.
Also, in the last section (3:23-end) the thump of the kick seems out of place, but maybe if the bass came up there it would feel more solid and help drive it to the end.

Great work, man! I'd love to hear more.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search