The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Radio Rock Alternative Track Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Radio Rock Alternative Track

Hey guys,

Here's two tracks I produced, recorded, mixed and mastered. I would appreciate to have feedback on the mix.

PLAYER HERE

Thanks!
LT
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Go away.

You should be giving advice, not requesting it fuuck

I'll start: How do you get that snare sound?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperx View Post
Go away.

You should be giving advice, not requesting it fuuck

I'll start: How do you get that snare sound?
I'll take that as compliment and I thank you for that! I always post my mixes here to get feedback, opinions and comments. I know that you can ask 20 persons have 20 different opinions but when the majority of the people are saying the same thing (i.e: your mix is too dark!), I go back to the drawing board and work on the mixes. Always room for improvement and also having some objectivity on the mixes helps a lot sometimes!

There's no kick sample (really really rare that I can do that) and the snare was a Peal Signature Vinnie Paul 14x8". It was tuned kinda low and to the key of the song. It was damped during the verses and not damped during the choruses. During the verses there's a big hall reverb but it's all the way down during the choruses. The bottom snare is used a lot too. Room mics are way up high in the mix.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

that song is awesome dude what processing are you using on the guitars

im always trying to make songs of this kinda style but i can never seem to get the guitars to fit ok with the drums
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisalker View Post
that song is awesome dude what processing are you using on the guitars

im always trying to make songs of this kinda style but i can never seem to get the guitars to fit ok with the drums
Gibson ES335 Hollow Body with a Peavy 6505 / Mesa Cab. The cab was mic'd with a 57 and a 414. The guitars in the verse have 1/4 delays. In the mix, the rythm guitars had a touch of compression with a LA3A and a little bit of EQ boost around 7k.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by luctellier View Post
There's no kick sample (really really rare that I can do that) and the snare was a Peal Signature Vinnie Paul 14x8". It was tuned kinda low and to the key of the song. It was damped during the verses and not damped during the choruses. During the verses there's a big hall reverb but it's all the way down during the choruses. The bottom snare is used a lot too. Room mics are way up high in the mix.
Thanks. Did you compress the snare? is it augmented with samples?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

cheers also wat kind of settings you using on the amp
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

The intro reminds me of the song "Kids In Love".. thumbsup

- The kick is too distracting for me.. too up-front? also a little bit too clicky.

- Guitars sounds good but a little buried in the mix, I would like to hear them more in your face.

That's all.. and vocals sounds great! You're awesome!
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Great work my friend! everything sounds great and well balanced. that snare is a beast and you did a great job mixing the song and producing
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

Sounds great! The clarity and low end on the song really draws me in.
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

I agree, great song, well performed and recorded. I'd just like to mention that when I turned your mp3 player to full volume it became a little distorted. I'd gather that anyone using regular computer speakers to listen would have this trouble x10. I'd give it a listen through multiple consumer grade speaker systems to make sure the final volume isn't too loud. Best of luck!
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperx View Post
Thanks. Did you compress the snare? is it augmented with samples?
Top Snare sample, top snare and Bottom Snare have individual processing and then they are bussed and have further more processing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisalker View Post
cheers also wat kind of settings you using on the amp
I don't recall the settings sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamesJond View Post
The intro reminds me of the song "Kids In Love".. thumbsup

- The kick is too distracting for me.. too up-front? also a little bit too clicky.

- Guitars sounds good but a little buried in the mix, I would like to hear them more in your face.

That's all.. and vocals sounds great! You're awesome!
Kids in Love from Mayday Parade? That's funny. That's one of my favorite song. Ben being one of my biggest influence, I understand why the intro reminds you of that song! Thanks for listening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake 2.0 View Post
Great work my friend! everything sounds great and well balanced. that snare is a beast and you did a great job mixing the song and producing
Thanks bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezodiac View Post
Sounds great! The clarity and low end on the song really draws me in.
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylab View Post
I agree, great song, well performed and recorded. I'd just like to mention that when I turned your mp3 player to full volume it became a little distorted. I'd gather that anyone using regular computer speakers to listen would have this trouble x10. I'd give it a listen through multiple consumer grade speaker systems to make sure the final volume isn't too loud. Best of luck!
This type of problem can occur when an MP3 is streamed through a flash player! The WAV version doesn't distort at all. Thanks for your comment!

I added the two other songs if you guys want to listen!

Thanks
LT
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Sounds great. You definitely have a good ear! I liked the first and third songs the best. I felt the vocal performances were much weaker on the second song (give her what she wants). Other than that I say job well done.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I'll just say "Who's it gonna be" reminds me a lot of Matchbox 20, if they were cooler.
Old 22nd December 2010
Wow! These sound very slick & radio-friendly... I can't fault them - top job!
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Great job - as always!
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

when i tried lo listen to the songs, my browser (Safari) give me an error :

Forbidden

You do not have permission to access this document.
Web Server at luctellier.com

i don'T know if it'S me or your server loll
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Same here... "You do not have permission to access this document."
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post
Same here... "You do not have permission to access this document."
Can you repost the link to the songs?
thanks
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sorry guys I had to change the URL of the player. It's now working!

PLAYER HERE

Thanks for listening!
LT
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

What was the vocal processing like on "Who's It Gonna Be"? The vocals sound GREAT.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah279 View Post
What was the vocal processing like on "Who's It Gonna Be"? The vocals sound GREAT.
Thanks! SSL EQ, 1176, Waves DeEsser, 1/4 delays and a large plate.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by luctellier View Post
Thanks! SSL EQ, 1176, Waves DeEsser, 1/4 delays and a large plate.
Thanks so much, it sounds really awesome. What was the mic setup?
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Another really awesome mix! Is this one also mixed ITB and tracked through the Midas?

My only comment is that I had to turn down the volume a little when the first chorus kicked in - perhaps the first (and second) "NEED to know" in the first chorus makes me want to turn down the volume just a little bit...maybe the emphasized word "NEED" is just a hair too aggressively emphasized in the first chorus? I'm really not sure why I reach for the volume there actually.

The other chorus' don't have this effect on me.

Please do realize I am nit-picking here!

Your results are truly amazing!
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

what mic did you use?
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Question

Nice pop-radio work, unfortunately I had about as much as I can stand of this type of bubblegum writing back in the 80s...

Personally, if I was producing this band, I'd tell them to take a month off, find their edge, and come back with something that's gonna have some genuine "alternative" energy -- From my perspective, these guys are about as "alternative" as KC & the Sunshine Band.

But hey, that's just me

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search