The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Please try this totally itb mix Dynamics Plugins
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Please try this totally itb mix

Hi Folks,

Please give me your feedback on this song, including mixing and mastering quality done entirely itb.

Mixing included, Slate VCC (Neve), Nebula (R2R, TB+, Vinatge 73eq and Mammoth), plus Softube, The Glue, Aether and Waves plug-ins.

Mastering was done through Slate FG-X and Nebula Mammoth.

This is my first real mix with Nebula and I have found that I have gained far more warmth and punch by using programs like R2R and Mammoth.

This track is off my new EP, These are the Times, which was released today and can be found at:

retroreel
Attached Files

Substitute.mp3 (3.03 MB, 401 views)

Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I love the sounds of the tracks. They sound expensive.

However, in my humble opinion, the mix is not "singing". The sound of the individual tracks is great, but I felt like I wanted to ride some faders while I was listening to the song. The teeny bit of esses on the vocal annoy me a bit. Do you have a Softube FET on the vocal? Also: excessive vocal tuning. I love the song though. I'm being overcritical.

Also, I have some questions for you:

#1 Why do prefer to use Slate VCC instead of Nebula consoles?

#2 In which order do you typically run your signal: regular plugins and then Nebula, or the other way around?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hi copperx,

Thanks for your kind comments and constructive feedback. Really value your opinion and take on board all you say.

For the song 'Substitute' I'm using Waves SSL G Channel, Eiosis 2Deesser, followed by Waves CLA2A and then VCC (Neve) in the vocal chain. Using a AT2035 mic through a GAP73 Pre Amp.

In terms of Nebula AlexB consoles v Slate VCC, I've only just got Nebula (Audio Unit version) and have initially gone for R2R and Mammoth to improve my mixes. I have been quite impressed with VCC (using Beta 2.5); certainly adds something although it is fairly subtle. Looking forward to the full release. What are your views on the AlexB consoles?

For my current mixes I have used Nebula (R2R etc) mainly on the 2-bus at the moment, but have just discovered the dbx163 compressor from signaltonoize. This has really impressed me on vocals, where it adds presence and clarity. If you listen to the actual track 'These are the Times' I have used it on the lead vocal, which previous to me discovering dbx163, had Waves CLA76 on it and then the vocal was much duller and lifeless. The vocal chain I have used is; Waves SSL G Channel, then Eiosis 2Deesser, followed by Nebula dbx163 (at 2:1 ratio) and lastly VCC (Brit 4K).
Old 21st December 2010
Pat
Gear Addict

ELO?
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Nice song. I enjoy the feel of the track a lot. It has a unique sound. A couple of thoughts...

The strings are pretty hot in the intro, for my taste. Maybe they need to be a bit thinner to allow kick/bass/acoustic to have more room.

I like the semi-unprocessed sound of the drums. Sounds kinda vintage, which gives the song character.

My biggest complain is the acoustic guitar. It just sounds... small and kinda cheap. It sounds more like a recording issue, rather than a mixing one. Sounds like it was recorded with an sm57 through an mbox. It doesn't sound bad, but I think the song would work better with a fat and full acoustic, rather than a thin, tinny one.

Vocals are a little thick and a little dark for my taste. Perhaps giving them a bit more air would help.

And I can't believe I am saying this, but I kind of enjoy the auto tune. I just think you should push it a little harder, or a little softer. It needs to be used as an effect.... or it should be transparent. Right now it's kind of in the middle, but I feel like I want to hear a little more of it! (Everyone feel free to PM me with hate mail). It's kind of strange to hear the auto tune so well on a track like this. It's kind of like a happy indie tune, and it's kind of ... interesting to hear auto tune on it. Especially since everything else sounds very lightly processed.

Anyhow, good song, and good mix. Thanks for sharing, and good luck.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Pat, ELO?
Interesting, thanks for your feedback. I take that as a compliment.

Quote:
Josh, My biggest complain is the acoustic guitar. It just sounds... small and kinda cheap. It sounds more like a recording issue, rather than a mixing one. Sounds like it was recorded with an sm57 through an mbox. It doesn't sound bad, but I think the song would work better with a fat and full acoustic, rather than a thin, tinny one.
Thanks for your detailed feedback. The acoustic guitar is the MusicLab RealGuitar VI. I am very interested in your feedback here as I originally had more low end in the guitar but decided to filter below 120hz to help it sit better in the mix. I agree it seems a little bit thinner as a consequence, but before it muddied the mix.

Quote:
Josh, And I can't believe I am saying this, but I kind of enjoy the auto tune. I just think you should push it a little harder, or a little softer. It needs to be used as an effect.... or it should be transparent. Right now it's kind of in the middle, but I feel like I want to hear a little more of it! (Everyone feel free to PM me with hate mail). It's kind of strange to hear the auto tune so well on a track like this. It's kind of like a happy indie tune, and it's kind of ... interesting to hear auto tune on it. Especially since everything else sounds very lightly processed.
Oh god no!. Hands up, I've used Melodyne on the vocal, specifically the mid-8, where I was struggling to get the correct intonation and pitch that I wanted. I too think the mid-8 piece is not great, but I played the track to some friends they loved the mid-8 and said leave it in. I guess they could have just been taking the p**s now.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

Really interesting and valuable feedback so far. Any other comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frogy
Old 26th December 2010
Dz7
Gear Addict
This sounds great! Drum (specifically the snare) fill right before the chorus could be dolled up a bit more but you did a great job for what the track required. FWIW, I like the strings as loud as they are, imo don't change it!
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

loved this song, but I thought the strings was to hot.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Love it!

Wish the guitar were more spread out.

The strings are killer, love the vibe of the vocal, thought the drums were a bit compressed would like a wider type of sound, but those are overly critical and think you're certainly on the right track, no pun intended.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Nice vibe to this one.
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

automate the strings, more/longer verb/delay on vox -> song done.
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

what are you using for drums and strings?
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear Nut

Hi Yummerz,

Thanks for listening!

Drums are NI Abbey Road 70's Drums (which for me are better than BFD2's equivalent 70's drums that I also have, especially the cymbals) and the strings (cello and violin patches) are from EW Symphonic Orchestra.

Kind Regards,

Clive

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search